Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Hotels for less than $150 per night (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/hotels-for-less-than-150-per-night-370848/)

kwyatt1000 Jun 1st, 2008 10:04 PM

Hotels for less than $150 per night

I am going to San Juan June 12 - 15 and need a room that is located in a safe and clean area within five minutes of the beach. It's my first romantic getaway and would like someplace nice.

Any suggestions????

doug_stallings Jun 2nd, 2008 05:11 AM

Numero Uno Guest House in Ocean Beach. All rooms are under $200 per night in June, with some under $150. It has a great restaurant and is right on a pretty nice beach.

kwyatt1000 Jun 2nd, 2008 06:37 AM

I have heard wonderful things about Numero Uno, but unfortunately once I add all the taxes, etc. it falls a little outside my budget even for the economy room. I don't suppose you have ever stayed in the economy room that you would be able to tell me it is still well the worth the money....have you? :-)

triathlete Jun 2nd, 2008 10:56 AM

You can usually get the Caribe Hilton for under $100/night through Priceline.

Check out betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com for the latest on what's available in the resort class in SJ.

Good luck!

doug_stallings Jun 2nd, 2008 11:34 AM

If your budget is this strict, you may have chosen a bad destination in San Juan, which is pretty overpriced for what you get, even in the summer. $200 per night for a modest hotel is more in the price range for San Juan.

Here are a few other places you can check out: Coral Princess in Condado, At Wind Chimes in Condado (a few cheap rooms), El Canario in Condado (no pool though), Andalucia in Ocean Park (no pool but pretty close to the beach), and Villa del Sol in Isla Verde (beach is nicer, but it's hard to get to restaurants here on foot). I haven't checked rates at all these properties, but these are the cheapest places we recommend in San Juan.

You're not going to find the nicest places for your price range (Numero Uno was by far the nicest of our cheap options near the beach in San Juan), and Andalucia is probably the best place after Numero Uno.

Don't underestimate the cost of food and taxis either. Also, if you're really trying to do a quick, very cheap getaway, this isn't really the best destination. Condado is the best place to base yourself if you don't have a car or want to pay for taxis every night for dinner. There are restaurants (a few cheap), stores, and beaches within walking distance. Go to Subway for coffee in the morning (seriously, it's really good) if you stay in Condado.

The idea of Priceline isn't a bad one, but if you end up at the Caribe Hilton, you'd be out of walking range of every other place in the city (including restaurants). What you gain in a cheaper room might be lost if you have to eat at the Hilton.

kwyatt1000 Jun 2nd, 2008 08:17 PM

Thank you everyone for your helpful hints. Honestly, it's not that we just chose San Juan...we're going on a cruise and we're starting our trip in San Juan...so, I don't want to blow all our funds now and then have to scrimp on the ship....better to scrimp now for fun later. :-)

Thank you again and I look forward to any other suggestions you all may have to offer.

bc Jun 3rd, 2008 09:20 AM

Hi Kwyatt1000,
I understand your predicament---we also cruised from San Juan and wanted something affordable. We stayed at the Coral Princess Inn for just under $150.00 a night (including taxes). That was in March--I believe the rates are lower in the summer. We were more than satisfied. We had three couples and we found it convenient, clean, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We especially loved "unwinding" on the rooftop terrace at night.

ishkribbl Jun 3rd, 2008 05:36 PM

Although certainly more plain than the things suggested here, considering your budget and that you are headed out for more vacation, take a look at a little inn called Tres Palmas in Ocean Beach area (across the street from the beach with a pool and hot tubs)-we stayed there twice last year on the way to and back from Culebra when we were in a similar situation and did not want to spend too much $$ on a stopover. Just a thought...

kwyatt1000 Jun 3rd, 2008 10:31 PM

Thank you again for the great suggestions.
I checked out the Tres Palmas site and it actually looks pretty cute and kind of homey. How is the beach and the walk to surrounding sites and restaurants?

ishkribbl Jun 4th, 2008 05:33 AM

Although we spent two nights there (and really enjoyed sitting in the rooftop jacuzzi with the view of the beach both times)we never actually got in the water at the beach. It was early evening the first time we arrived and on the return trip we had just spent a week in Culebra on gorgeous beaches so we spent our time in SJ exploring Old Town rather than beaching it. Perhaps Doug Stallings knows more since he recommended another inn in the Ocean Park area.
The inn is in a residential area but we walked perhaps 8-10 blocks (not sure, it was a pleasant walk) to a restaurant for dinner- can't remember the name of the place. I am sure you could get a 5-10 minute cab to dinner- the cab driver who brought us back to Tres Palmas from Isla Grande aiport suggested restaurants he said were a short cab ride away. We had the continental breakfast at the inn and ate lunch in Old Town so I am not much help about restaurants but we found the TP clean, quiet, and inexpensive for our needs and the management was friendly and helpful.

kwyatt1000 Jun 5th, 2008 07:55 AM

The search is off!!!!
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I have opted to stay at Da House for a smoking deal. With attractions within walking distance and a free trolley for Old Town I think I'll give it a try. :-)