Hotel suggestion for Bahamas.

Dec 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Hotel suggestion for Bahamas.

My husband and I are looking for an easy getaway from NY (Newark Airport) in late January or Early February. We only have 3 nights to be away, so do not want to spend too much time travelling. We are looking for a hotel or resort that is pretty, relaxed, nice beach, on-site restaurant(s) (all inclusive is OK). We do not have much need for activities or night-life, but if they exist that is OK. We were thinking of Sandals in the Bahamas. Any one have anything to say about that Sandals property or any other suggestions? Of course we are concerned about hurricane damage from the storms this past fall. Thank you! Lisa
Dec 18th, 2004, 12:07 PM
caribtraveler

Hi. Are you planning to swim? I'm asking because I want you to be aware that it might be too cool to swim that time of year in the Bahamas.
My husband and I fly out of Newark for short weekend getaways so I understand your request for a short flight.
Fyi, Puerto Rico is a quick trip from Newark. There are some other islands you can do non-stop from Newark but they're a bit further out.
Anyway, if you do decide you still want Bahamas, my husband and I stayed at the Westin at Our Lucaya once. Very nice property with beautiful beach.
Good luck.

Dec 18th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Caribtraveler. Any recommendations for places to stay in Puerto Rico. We just want to relax in the sun for a couple of days at a nice place, pretty surroundings and beach.
Dec 18th, 2004, 12:49 PM
caribtraveler

We stayed at the Hilton Caribe but I wouldn't recommend it. If you do a search for my screenname you'll find my trip report and see why. The Hyatt in Dorado looks beautiful and I've only read great reviews about it. The only negative to it is that I think the drive is a 40-minute one from the airport. So you might not want to do that for a short trip. But look into it.
Another island you might want to consider is the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana). Continental now offers non-stop from Newark to Punta Cana. We haven't been there yet but the beaches are known to be beautiful. Lots of all-inclusive resort choices there.

Dec 18th, 2004, 01:43 PM
KVR

We stayed At Sandals Royal Bahamian in Sept. 2003 and loved it. The 2 pools are huge, nice beach, several dining choices and decent nightlife on property. Food was quite good for an AI.

We have pics on our web-site if interested:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn