Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Hotel on the Beach within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Antigua? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/hotel-on-the-beach-within-walking-distance-to-restaurants-in-antigua-821763/)

pjejae Jan 14th, 2010 04:47 PM

Hotel on the Beach within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Antigua?

Fodor's Forums are the best...hope you can help me again. We are planning a trip to the Caribbean in a Feb. We love staying in Grand Case, St. Martin because it is quiet, and you can walk to a different restaurant each night...and it is right on the beach. Can anyone suggest that type of experience on another island? Is there a spot like this on Antigua or St. John's? We have been to Barbardos, Aruba, St. Kitts, Cuba, and Domninca Rep., and never found there what we have found in Grand Case. Thanks!

ejcrowe Jan 14th, 2010 07:03 PM

When you say Antigua and St. John's, do you mean St. John's, the capital of Antigua? Or do you mean St. John (there's no "s") in the US Virgin Islands?

There are a few places to eat along Dickenson Bay in Antigua--there's Coconut Grove and the Beach, for two that I've been to, plus a few hotel restaurants and one that's on the hill overlooking the beach whose name eludes me at the moment. Maybe Sheer? In St. John's, Antigua, there are various restaurants but there's no place to really stay there in town.

If you mean the island of St. John, you've come to the right forum. Folks here love that island and can give you ample sugestions.

One other area I might suggest is the Grand Anse area of Grenada. It's a two mile strip of beach with various hotels and restaurants along it. Pretty beach, beautiful island, wonderful West Indian culture. It's a pain in the a$$ to get to from the US, but well worth it, in my opinion. Take a look at www.grenadaexplorer.com for more info on the island.

pjejae Jan 15th, 2010 06:21 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I did mean St. John, usvi. Yes, the folks do write in this forum about St. John, but I am not sure if there are any accomodations right on the beach?
We are coming from Canada and there are direct flights to Grenda, which I have never thought about! It looks like it may be a good spot? It is difficut to not pick Grand Case in St. Martin as it is so lovely... but 5 times there is a bit much!

ejcrowe Jan 15th, 2010 06:45 AM

Oh, I didn't realize you were coming from Canada, as the majority of posters here seem to be in the US. Yes, Grenada is MUCH easier to reach from Canana!

Although there are many restaurants worth going to that are NOT along Grand Anse (the main beach and tourist strand), you have quite a few to choose from right there, plus hotels and resorts to choose from in all price ranges.

Spice Island Beach Resort is the most luxurious of the beachfront hotels, and it can be booked as a European plan or an all-inclusive plan. It's family friendly but very upscale. I've not stayed there, but it's my favorite place for an upscale lunch on the island, so I've dined there quite a few times. I have no idea how their evening meals or breakfasts are, though.

There's Blue Horizons, which is more like a condo community. Pleasant and mid-range, owned by Spice Island, but across the street from the beach, so there's more of a walk. Blue Horizons has a pool and a small play area for kids, and they have a good restaurant on site called La Belle Creole.

Less expensive but with full cooking facilities is the Flamboyant Hotel, which is at the very end of Grand Anse and situated up a rather steep hill. Views are gorgeous, but keep the walk in mind with a toddler in tow.

Coconut Beach is a fun restaurant on Grand Anse--you can dine with your toes actually in the sand or inside.

There's a place called La Boulangerie that's in a shopping center across from Grand Anse--we like it for breakfast because their pastries are very good (go early for best selection) and for ordering a pizza in the evening to take back to our villa. There is at least one more casual restaurant and a smoothie shop in another shopping center across from Grand Anse, plus other hotel restaurants that I wouldn't necessarily recommend as a destination in and of themselves. (Not saying that I do NOT recommend them, but I've never eaten at Coyaba or Grand Beach Hotel and I don't hear much, one way or the other, about them.)

If you can consider renting a car on the island, I'd recommend taking a look at www.spiceislevillas.com, which is an outstanding website for villa rentals on the island. Stick with villas in the Lanse Aux Epines area, which is a 5-7 minute drive from Grand Anse, but more of a peaceful residential area. You can find lots of beautiful villas in nearly every price range.

ejcrowe Jan 15th, 2010 06:47 AM

Never mind my comment about the toddler and needing kitchen facilities. I was conflating your post with another one that I also responded to! :)

pjejae Jan 15th, 2010 11:17 AM

Thank you so very much... very very helpful... I love Fodors Forums!

pjejae Jan 18th, 2010 12:51 PM

Well, I am down to making up my mind, and looking for more advice. On Grenada, trying to chose between Flamboyant Hotel and the Grand Beach Resort. Any recommendations. A room with a view of the sea is most important. As well, would we be able to walk to a couple of spots for dinner in the evening? And do you think there is a sailing trip we could take? Thank you.

ejcrowe Jan 27th, 2010 04:22 AM

You could take a sailing trip from either location. Both hotels usually have auctions going over at SkyAuction.com, where you can get really fabulous deals on vacations.

I've never actually stayed at either one, so I can't offer personal opinions. But if you're a pool person, or if you want to be just steps from the beach, the Grand is probably your better bet. Flamboyant has a pool but it's not on the same scale, and you can be quite a haul from the beach.