Search

Hotel near Jolly Harbour - 1 night

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel near Jolly Harbour - 1 night

hello...

my wife and i are honeymooning on a Tradewinds Cruise catamaran the week of March 24th. we are looking for a nice hotel to stay for 1 night (a Friday) prior to our cruise departure near the Jolly Harbour area - so we won't have to travel far to meet the boat. we see the Jolly Harbor Resort is near, but understand it might be a bit 'loud'. is there any other hotel near there that someone can recommend? at a 'good' price? thank so much in advance!

also, if anyone has experienced the Tradewinds Cruise Club and have thoughts... we would love to hear those as well!

again, thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:09 AM

I can't comment on a hotel near the Jolly Harbour area, we stayed on Dickenson Bay while in Antigua. We are Tradewinds members. We did an RCI exchange in November, 2005 and sailed out of Bequia. We shared the boat with three other couples and I was a little nervous about that. It turned out to be a nice trip and we ended up buying. Our second sail was this past November in the BVI's. This time we reserved the whole boat and took family with us, which was even nicer. Tradewinds does a good job. You will have to listen to their sales pitch. Also a tip at the end of the week is expected. The first time we went we discussed it with the other three couples and decided that $150 per couple was a reasonable amount. However this past trip we found in one of the info books they leave in your cabin that $200 per couple was the suggested amount. The captain and first mate work long days and do their best to please everyone on board. Let me know if I can supply additional info.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Pam...

thank you for the post. any and all information that you have time to supply would be helpful! this is our first trip with tradewinds, and we are looking forward to it. a couple of specific questions... what to take clothes-wise? should we take food for snacks? is there enuf beer??! (is it 'open bar', or as they 'give it' to you? do you need cash for the restaurants ashore (or, credit card okay?). again, any info would be greatly appreciated!

still don't know where to stay for the 1 night!

thanks again!

d & c.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM

I've not stayed there myself, but there's a place called Coco's that gets pretty good reviews that not far from Jolly Harbour. Not to be confused with Cocobay, an all-inclusive resort, which is also near Jolly Harbour.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:29 AM

Duncanmotown,

You will probably be spending a good part of your day in a bathing suit - I took several, along with several cover ups. For the two dinners ashore, we dressed pretty casual (decent shorts, a nice top and sandals). If I remember correctly, we used a credit card to pay for our dinners. We took some snacks with us - if you are a big snacker between meals you may want to do that. Tradewinds prepares three square meals a day, you will not go hungry! They stock the boat well with liquid refreshment - we requested spiced rum and flavored vodka before our last trip and they had it for us. We did run out of beer mid week, but not a problem, the crew did a beer run! At five each afternoon they mix up a couple pitchers of the special for that night. Other then that, you help yourself to drinks. Let me know, if you think of any other questions. I am very envious - I wish I were headed down for a week in March!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Pam...

thanks again for posting! most helpful.

a couple last questions, if you will...
1. Snokeling equipment - should we bring our own?
2. Music - should we bring our own CDs?
3. Towels - should we bring our own?
4. Cash - at least $200 to cover crew tip?

i think that is it! thanks again so much for your help. if you can think of ANYTHING else that would be helpful, it would be appreciated! we are looking forward to our trip - and, your posts have helped that 'cause'! thanks again!

be well.

d & c.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:29 AM

Hi duncanmotown,

Glad I can help!

We did bring our own snorkeling equipment, but they do have it for you if you don't want to carry it. We also brought our own CD's. They will supply beach towels for you, no need to bring those. We did bring a bit more cash, but you should be able to use a credit card for most of your expenses. Have fun!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Pam...

thanks again for your help! it is appreciated!

we live in Michigan. it is now 4 degrees. can't wait to get on the boat and warm up!

db