Reload this Page >

Best snorkeling in the Carribean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Lisa

I'm looking to take a solo vacation to the Carribean. My main interest is having a nice beach and being able to go somewhere that has good snorkeling off the beach. I'm on a budget and would like to avoid renting a car and get the cheapest room I can in a decent location that is still safe.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any recommendations?<BR><BR>Lisa

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Carib Fan

Bonaire. Best off-the-beach-don't-have-to-take-a-boat-place ever. Most resorts have a decent restaurant.<BR><BR>We rented a car but you can probably get away without one.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Hope

I agree.....BONAIRE....is absolutely the best snorkeling. You can do it almost anywhere on the island from the shore. No need to rent a boad. Was there in December for my second trip and again it was incredible. There is a great site called Bonaire Talk that will help you find accommodations you are seeking. Most places in Bon are clean and I'm sure you'll love it. It is safe, friendly, and best food ever. Try different eating establishments and snorkle, snorkle, snorkle.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:50 PM
freewoman

Problem is that most tour companies do not currently book to Bonaire so it will be an expensive trip with having to purchase regular air. I have however considered looking to purchase charter air to Aruba and then shuttle over to Bonaire/

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Carib Fan

Shop around with different travel agents until you find one that DOES book Bonaire. We got a package (stayed at the Plaza) and it was a regular flight and relatively painless to get there compared to some other places we have gone. Good luck, it'll be worth the effort!

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 06:05 PM
ctkathy

Also look into St. John. There are some great snorkeling locations right off the shore. Lovely beaches and some inexpensive hotels also. You can cab it or there are busses to lots of locations.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Nancy

Hi Lisa,<BR>Depending on where you are located geographically, Cozumel would fit your needs well.<BR>Great snorkeling all over the island, easy to get to with lots of flights, and less expensive than most other islands due to devaluation of the peso.<BR>We've been going for nine years - it's very safe. There are lots of safe, clean economy rooms as it is a huge dive destination.<BR>I have also found the snorkeling better there the the other Caribbean islands I've been to, but I have not been to Bonaire.<BR>Beautiful beaches, friendly people...