Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon trip to Domican Republic, Need Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is getting married in November and he wants relaxing, laying around. His intended wants museums, history and city life. Trying to help them I suggested Santo Domingo and then Punta Cana, not knowing anything but PC has lovely beaches and SD is a very old city with lots of history. Now I read that it is unsafe to leave the PC resorts on your own and SD is far from PC and not easy to get from 1 locale to the other. Can someone set me straight? How far from the city to PC? Is there a train or bus or some mode of safe public transport? Is SD a nice place to spend 2 or 3 days? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest Puerto Rico rather than the DR. Puerto Rico meets both of their requirments. There's a lot more to see and do there than in the DR.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM

I agree - Puerto Rico is a much better choice. Just returned from there! El Morro and San Cristobal are excellent historic sites, great rain forest to hike in, you must do the bio-bay tour as well!! Punta Cana is very much a beach resort where you do not leave the property. Let me know if you need more.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your fast replies. My future DIL is on her way over to look at your answers and maybe we'll start looking at PR. Where should they start from? I guess I mean, where do they fly into to? Thanks again.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the others. Go to Puerto Rico for some history and also fun in the sun.
Dominican Republic would not be a good place for wanting to leave the resort.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Does that hold true if they go to Puerto Plata? They are looking at a hotel, The Maxim Bungalows. It looks expensive, but also looks like it has a great conceirge service. Is that because it's dangerous to leave the hotel there too?
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:36 PM
MsE

Dangerous to leave the resort?
They mean don't wander off at night by yourself, or not knowing where you're going.
Same as almost any other place, like San Juan. Some very shady spots there.
More to see in the old city there, though, for sure.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
From what i understand about the Dominican Repbulic is there is nothing outside of the resorts. Except maybe some very poor towns. So, stay on the resort and you won't have problems.
Also, the city of Santo Domingo has had problems for years with crime.

Now PR does have some crime, But you can leave resort and go to dinner, just taxi home late at night. San Juan is a city and you wouldn't want to walk down the wrong street late at night.
You will be safe to drive around and go to the sights in PR.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 07:01 AM

We lived in Santo Domingo for 2 months last summer. I can't imagine wanting to go there for part of a honeymoon. It has some beautiful historical areas, but nothing I would want to experience for a honeymoon trip. I'm 31 and married for 2 1/2 yrs and love the people of Santo Domingo...but not a place I would choose for part of a honeymoon.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some wonderful adults only resorts with great beaches in Mexico's Riviera Maya. There are ruins to be seen and lots of history. The town of Playa del Carmen is nearby.
Look into the Iberostar Paraiso Grand and the Royal Playa del Carmen. Both would be perfect for a honeymoon.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:21 AM

The Caribbean Islands are not noted for their museums, history or city life. Mexico would offer a few options along with relaxing and laying around. We have stayed in Cancun and south of Cancun and were able to go to some Mayan ruins easily. There is a nice museum on the island of Cozumel, which can be reached from the mainland easily by a short ferry ride.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to the Dominican Republic twice (but years ago now). visited Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, and Sosua. It is nowhere I'd send someone on their honeymoon, that's for sure. Santo Domingo was just not very welcoming in my one experience.

Yes, you can take a bus across the island to get to Puerto Plata, I think it took about 4 hours?

But I disagree about leaving the resorts. Depends what kind of traveler you are. People still DO go to DR and not even stay within resort compounds. I have friends who were there a couple years ago, rented a jeep, drove around the island, met local people, just like they would have done in Mexico. They have a great trip.