Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Honeymoon suggestions-please help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-suggestions-please-help-811612/)

claibornel Oct 24th, 2009 09:33 AM

Honeymoon suggestions-please help.

I have feverishly been looking for a place for a honeymoon in the May 2010 time frame. I have been online for about 72 hours straight and am now so confused I don't even know where to begin. I have looked at many resorts and have gotten other suggestions on Fodors, then read a review on Trip Advisor and question them. I am looking for relatively uncrowded islands. I try to go in off season to avoid the crowds. We don't need much nightlife, but my fiance can't stand to eat at the same place every day, so other options for bars and restaurants are needed if possible. Beautiful beaches are a must. I have been to Anguilla and have been spoiled by the beautiful white sand beaches, so how anything else will compare is beyond me. I have also been to T&C, Jaimaica, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Nevis and Bermuda. We primarily, eat, sun ourselves and do water sports, sailing, and some fishing. That said, I have been looking at VIrgin Gorda (Little Dix Bay or Biras). If anyone has any experience please let me know. A big concern is that people have complained about a lot of children being there and for my honeymoon, not looking for a lot of kid noise. I have also liked the Grenadines. But seems the biggest options there are Palm Island (may be too remote with liitle dinner options), Raffles in Canuon and possibly the Cotton House (which I have heard is stuffy). I have ruled out Caneel Bay and St. John as i have heard they are much more populated and do not like the cruise ship drop offs. SO, all that being said, can anyone comment on any of these or have a better idea for an island or resort? Thanks for your help.

ishkribbl Oct 24th, 2009 12:35 PM

Personally I would not rule out St. John. Admittedly it has been 8 years since I was there but I got married in May on Hawksnest Beach and honeymooned for a week in a rental villa there and highly recommend it. We had a gorgeous view, a small pool, lots of decks, and complete privacy and quiet. Having a house gives you lots of space, (maybe) more than one bathroom (we rented a 2/2), outdoor living areas and a kitchen to keep your own cocktail/hors d'oeuvre makings or just fruit and coffee to enjoy on your private patio- you don't have to cook just because it is a house and it usually ends up being more cost effective than a room in a resort. With a rental jeep you can go into Cruz Bay or Coral Bay and have lots of restaurant and bar choices. We went to a different beach every day and there are plenty of "less travelled" spots where I don't believe you would find anything crowded. Beach chairs, umbrellas, beach chairs and a cooler were provided at the house as I am sure you will find at most places so you have what you need to adventure wherever you choose. Others who go frequently or have been recently can correct me if it has gotten overloaded with tourists but I bet that is not the case in May. I have seen the website for a rental called Honeymoon Cottage that I bookmarked for an anniversary return someday- check it out- but we are going to Virgin Gorda this spring because we have never been. I hope you find just what you are looking for and it is wonderful!

ejcrowe Oct 24th, 2009 05:08 PM

Do you definitely need a resort? Would you be willing to rent a private villa instead? Because there are some really good ones at reasonable prices on Virgin Gorda and Grenada. True, the beaches won't necessarily compare to what you fell in love with on Anguilla, but the money you'd spend on accommodations in Anguilla will get you a nicer place to stay in Grenada.

Having recently fallen in love with Anguilla myself, is there a particular reason you don't want to go back there? You've got the gorgeous beaches you're looking for and no shortage of wonderful restaurants in all price ranges.

claibornel Oct 25th, 2009 04:31 PM

Thanks for your responses! I neglected to mention I have an American Express gift card that must use specified travel agencies that do not offer villa rentals. I have about 12K to spend and am looking to spend about 9-10 days. Ejcrowe, I believe I have read a trip report of yours for Grenada. It is also an island we have been looking to go as well. Thanks for your responses.

Caribheart Oct 28th, 2009 05:32 AM

I would recommend Grenada as well. I think that very few of the islands have Anguilla like beaches...I have not found many- I was stunned by the beaches in my short day trip to Anguilla. Grand Anse beach in Grenada is a very beautiful beach...in the off season it is my memory that it can be quieter but still offer you the watersports you mentioned. We have stayed at two places in Grenada one of which may be of interest to you - Grenada Grand beach club....it has lovely pools with whirlpools and a waterfall but the rooms are pretty standard in the main building. There are much more high end places on the beach and I believe there are lots of dining options on the beach and plenty off the beach.

Again this option would be very different from Anguilla as it is a Volcanic island with lush mountainous terrain, hiking, waterfalls and a wonderful community with wonderful people. It does not have a big population like Jamaica but you also wont feel isolated.

Congratulations!

Knowing Oct 28th, 2009 12:26 PM

I understand what you are saying about Palm Island in the Grenadines. You are afraid of being "parked" there and being bored and tired of the food. Don't write it off! On our flight there, we had to drop off a resident of Bequia and she suggested that she hoped we would not be bored with just relaxing.
Well, we loved being on a private island! The cottages were ideal, we never tired of the tropical dining (my bigger fear)as the food didn't taste all the same, and we were stunned at how beautiful it was and how clear the waters were. It is small in size, but charming. The gardens are abundant.
For a honeymoon, you may not want to interact with others and that's fine, but if some night you decide you want to talk to some other people, the bar area makes for some good conversations. You can spend your days relaxing on the beach and enjoy the views or explore via the boat off the island.

virginia Oct 28th, 2009 03:17 PM

i think provo in t&c would be ideal. gorgeous white soft sand beach. tons of dining options. nice resorts directly on the beach. how long ago were you there?
as you know diving/snorkeling is very good. bone fishing is world class. good deep sea fishing too.