Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Honeymoon suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-suggestions-383753/)

nabgirl Dec 21st, 2003 09:33 AM

Honeymoon suggestions

Hi,
I will be getting married next May 2004 and after so much searching, we can't decide where to go. We like nice accomodations,beautiful beaches, great food, fun people and great customer service. We don't like rude people, nastiness, too crowded. We are willing to pay up to $4000, but hope to find something cheaper. Thanks for all your help!!

floridabound Dec 21st, 2003 12:11 PM

Check out St. John, USVI. The nicest resort (only 2, Westin is the other) is Caneel Bay Resort. However, we opted for a villa and it was amazing. It had a with pool, barbecue, views to die for and all the amenities made it a very romantic and private honeymoon.

St. John has glorious "azure" beaches. The town of Cruz Bay is great with wonderful shopping and some great restaurants. We did not find one negative about this very wonderful island.

Congrats!

ChicagoDallasGirl Dec 21st, 2003 05:26 PM

Hi there,
I'm getting married next month and I found that May is possibly THE best time to travel to the Caribben price-wise. You may consider a villa rental (caribbeanway.com or islandhideaways.com) unless you are definitely looking for a "hotel/resort" With your budget you could do any island just about! I've heard great things about St. John's, St. Lucia, St. Croix, Antigua (which is where we are honeymooning), Barbados and St. Barts. Hope this info helps. Congrats and best wishes!

Maureen Dec 22nd, 2003 05:35 AM

We just got back from a wonderful vacation in Tortola in the BVIs.
We stayed at the small intimate Sugar Mill Hotel which recently was voted one of the best hotels in the Carribean by readers of Travel & Leisure. It is a very quiet hotel surrounded by lush tropical vegetation and offers award winning cuisine. A small beach is down the hill with views of other islands.
Another property we toured was the Villas at Fort Recovery also in Tortola. This property is also quiet with a larger beach and great breezes from the patios/balconies with views of other islands. Tropical flowers are everywhere inside the property. They were setting up for a wedding while we were there.
Both properties offer packages--see "fortrecovery.com" and "sugarmillhotel.com".
We took a water taxi to Jost Van Dyke where there is a long white sand beach at White Bay. Try Sunday when there is often entertainment at the Soggy Dollar Bar at Sandcastles.
You can sail to or take a ferry, water taxi to several other islands--Jost Van Dyke, Anegada, Peter Island, Virgin Gorda etc.
In Tortola, Cane Garden Bay is at a beautiful setting where you can pay for chaises and umbrellas. The only vendor on the beach in a week was a friendly guy selling coconuts! Myett's has delicious hamburgers and conch fritters.
Driving is on the left over mountain roads with steep inclines so a jeep is advisable. Views are spectacular.
Local bands play during the week in Tortola-can refer to Limin Times for dates.
We took an American Eagle flight from San Juan. Other people we met had taken a ferry from St. Thomas (45 mins.).
Good luck.

wjdom83 Dec 23rd, 2003 07:31 PM

I hooneymooned At The Occidental Royal Hideaway in Playa. I think you will have all of your desires fulfilled.

almesq Dec 23rd, 2003 07:57 PM

wjdom83--saw your post--we just booked a trip to Royal Hideaway next April for our anniversary--what did you think of it?

powamom Dec 24th, 2003 04:13 AM

i second the royal hideaway - gone twice - gets better every time!