MultiFamily vacation in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a fun destination that will provide a week's worth of fun in the sun for our large group of friends. I am keen to snorkel and explore both in the water and out, and my friends are too. Our difficulty is that we're all parents (3+ couples) to young children (6+ children under the age of 4 (youngest will be 2 months)).

We aren't resort people per se, in fact, I've never traveled overseas and stayed in a resort - but that seems easy in this case. My desire would be location where all families can hang together (some sort of common room) and have easy access to the beach so that it's not an ordeal to try to wrangle the kids with their different schedules. We are active, outdoorsy people but with the kiddos so we'd like the option of childcare so we can do some grownup activities too.

Would love input/advice/suggestions on locations, house rental vs resort, and especially thoughts on childcare. Bonus points for moderately priced off-the-beaten-path suggestions that are still easy to get to from Vermont (via NYC or Boston). Thanks!!
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM

It would be helpful to know what time of year you are traveling and what "moderately priced" means to you.

Turks and caicos might be a good place to investigate -- renting condos in the same resort. Direct flights from boston.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jimmie for your response. We are interested in going on vacation in mid-October. As for budget, I haven't really pinned that down as yet. I say moderate since in the past I've researched typical low and high end accommodations and have been very happy with something midway up the scale. I'm not an uber budget traveler [no hostels since 2005 ] but I also have never stayed at a 4star resort. Traveling with a young child is a new experience for me, so I don't know how that would impact our costs since I am interested in things being more conveinent. Do you have any suggestions?
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM

Oops, I missed October in the headline.

You're going low, low season, so things will be cheaper. Some restaurants may be closed on less touristy islands. Trip insurance might also be a good idea.

It sounds like too many people for one villa. I still think T and C is a good option for you. You might find a good package with air and hotel from jet blue or a travel site.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM

sue, i've planned a family vacation for my group for the last 4 years. we are 18-27 people, ages 1-78! we've done a cruise, all-inclusives in dom. rep and ixtapa, mexico and last year we rented small apartment-like hotel rooms in jamaica. people liked the cruise format but i was frustrated by trying to see a whole country in one day, and the prices of day trips. AIs are the easiest with multi-age groups but not my personal style. however, last year we hired a cook and had dinners together every night, breakfast in the hotel and lunch on our own. it was, by far, everyone's fave. look for a safe beach for the little ones, with a town that can be reached easily for the older crowd. there are a lot of staffed private homes in jamaica that might work for you too, depending on how many folks you are. always ends up really really cheap too...
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 03:41 AM

Beaches Turks and Caicos!!! We've been twice with a group of 5 families and there is something for everyone. Fall is off season so you can get 50 - 60% off too.