Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Honeymoon Island Advice needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-island-advice-needed-155470/)

Pam Pfeifer Feb 5th, 2002 02:16 PM

Honeymoon Island Advice needed

Hi,I'm planning my honeymoon for the end of November and I would love to check out the Virgin Islands. I could easily spend 7 days laying on the beach, but my boyfriend needs a little more outdoor activity -- hiking, biking, kayaking, snorkeling. We want something special since it's our honeymoon but we really can't afford something like Caneel Bay. We would also like to find an Island with authentic local restaurants and bars, not just resorts. Is Biras too isolated? Is there enough to do on Bequia? Grateful for any recommendations.

JD Feb 5th, 2002 05:37 PM

While I can't recommend the USVI, I do not hesitate to recommend the BVI. We've stayed frequently on both Tortola and Virgin Gorda and enjoyed both. <BR>If a laidback, small, friendly resort is to your liking, then I suggest Frenchman's Cay, Fort Recovery, or Sugar Mill on Tortola. On Virgin Gorda, I'd go a little bit further upscale and suggest Biras Creek, Olde Yard Inn, or BEYC. <BR>Tortola is the better of the two islands if you would enjoy having a 4WD at your disposal to visit the many, small, isolated bays for snorkeling and sunbathing undisturbed, and if you like verdant mountains and winding, precipitous roads that scare the bejesus out of you. <BR>On VG, I'd take Olde Yard Inn for its friendliness, intimacy, great beach, and accessibility to everything else on the island. Regarding your question about Biras, we enjoyed it, it enjoys a lot of acreage, has a great swim beach, and has an almost South Pacific setting, but to get to "civilization" you have to motorboat over to Gun Creek, rent a car, and drive from there. We found it cumbersome. Yet Biras offers so much, and the rest of Virgin Gorda offers so little (except more resorts) that there is little point in leaving Biras except for maybe one day to satisfy curiosity.<BR>A major (imo) advantage to staying at the aforementioned Tortola resorts is that they are all near the West End ferry terminal putting the USVI as much at your disposal as the BVI. We always head over to Charlotte Amalie for a day's shopping, particularly since the jewelry buys are awesome and my wife has a major love for rocks.

jim Feb 13th, 2002 05:51 AM

There's plenty to do at Biras if you aren't necessarily looking for group activities -- lots of hiking in very remote areas, watersports (including kayaks)on a bay all to yourself, use of Boston Whaler of your own to explore the area and find your own snorkeling heaven, as well as tennis and bikes. Biras isn't cheap, though -- I think you may end up paying more for a stay there than at Caneel Bay.We went to Biras for our honeymoon 5 years ago -- at that time they offered a fortnight stay, starting in June, that cost $3500 -- it's my understanding that the same stay now runs $5,500 - $6,000. If you have any other Biras questions, I would be happy to answer them -- the place was simply magical.

Elisa Feb 13th, 2002 12:08 PM

We are currently planning a honeymoon for this April and went through the same thing you guys did..my fiance is the same way and needs some activitiy to keep him happy. We wanted the nice beaches as well and wound up choosing Grenada. I will let you know how it is, but here on fodors...put in Grenada as a key word...and read up on what people have to say about it.... It sounds like what you might be looking for.. Hope this helps....

CAD Feb 13th, 2002 02:23 PM

I can't say enoigh to agree with the Virgin gorda and Biras Creek replies. It was a honeymoon trip for us and it was THE most fabulous place on earth. GO!!