Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Honeymoon in St. Thomas, St. kitts, or Curacao? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-in-st-thomas-st-kitts-or-curacao-1001083/)

lagarcia44 Dec 27th, 2013 06:35 PM

Honeymoon in St. Thomas, St. kitts, or Curacao?

My husband and I are planning to take a honeymoon in June 2014 and are having a hard time choosing which Caribbean island would be best. We are using Marriott points for the hotel so we know we will stay at the marriott in any of the 3 locations. Neither of us has been to the Caribbean before.

We are looking for an island with lots of activities, snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, etc as my husband cannot just lay on a beach all day. Also, a place with good dining options and nightlife is important. We are in our mid-20s.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

RoamsAround Dec 28th, 2013 02:53 AM

If snorkeling is a high priority for you than skip St. Kitts - there's very little snorkeling there. - Curacao and the USVI's would be much better.

Slightly better night life in the Virgin Island vs. Curacao and more on either of those island when compared to St. Kitts.

Everything else on your wish list can be found on all three locations.

eastenderusvi Dec 28th, 2013 06:27 AM

I agree with Roams Around. I think the USVI would have more activities for you- lots of restaurants, trips to the BVI, all the other things you are looking for. Do you have points for the Ritz as well as Frenchman's Reef/ Morning Star beach?

lagarcia44 Dec 28th, 2013 06:38 AM

Thanks for the advice!
I do not have enough points to stay at the Ritz so we would stay at Frenchmans Reef/ Morning Star Beach. Is there a lot to do around that resort? Or would we have to drive to pretty much do anything?

RoamsAround Dec 28th, 2013 08:19 AM

In order to best explore and experience any island, St. Thomas included, you should budget for a rental car or taxis.

CherylAndrews Dec 30th, 2013 08:33 AM

Do you like jammed roads, cranky taxi drivers, tons and tons of cruise ship visitors? St. Thomas has it all.

eastenderusvi Dec 30th, 2013 12:11 PM

Dear CherylAndrews: LOL. They are coming in June. The majority of cruise ships leave the end of April, so that won't be a problem. If they rent a car, the cranky taxi drivers won't be a problem.

lagarcia44: You could hang out at the Reef for a day or two, but there are lots of excursions you can take from there- snorkeling, sailing, jet ski tours, etc. If you want to drive around St Thomas, you can stop at any number of beaches. Also there are day trips to St John or the BVI. ;-)

KVR Dec 30th, 2013 04:49 PM

Are those destinations your only options ? Not a big fan of St. Thomas or Curacao. Have not been to St. Kitts, but I don't believe it will have what you are looking for.

I would go with the Marriott in Aruba instead. Has all the activities, dining options and nightlife you are looking for. No need to rent a car. Aruba has great public transportation and the Marriott is walkable to everything in the Palm Beach area.