Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in september- hurricane issue- where to go?

Mar 18th, 2002, 01:05 PM
PJ

I had almost decided to go to Sandals Antigua for 8 nights for my honeymoon (9/15/02) until i was notified that its hurricane season in the carribean at that time???! Where else can we go?! We want beautiful beaches with some activity (day & night)- all inclusive- non hurricane- not too expensive (under 4200)?
Also are 8 nights, seven days a typical honeymoon vacation or do people usually stay longer? (Can you tell I know nothing about this?!)

Mar 18th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Anon

For that much money I'd go to Spice Inn in Grenada. Grenada is really far south and rarely gets hit with a hurricane. Barbados as well.

Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are considered out of the hurricane belt and would also be a good bet.

Mar 18th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Sandy

It's true that Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are out of the hurrican belt. The water is perfect for snorkelling, scuba,and windsurfing. Just remember it's a more arid climate, not tropical. Very charming Dutch atmosphere.

Also, while Jamaica is in the carribean, they rarely get hit by a hurricane. In fact, I believe the Sandals resorts there offer hurricane insurance good for a future stay or something. I got married in Jamaica during hurricane season and while there was a hurricane off the coast somewhere, we just got some rain a few days. The hurricane never got that close. I have a good friend who lived for over 30 years in Jamaica and never experienced a hurricane on the island.

Have fun...

Mar 18th, 2002, 03:31 PM
tivertonhouse

Sorry, but Jamaica IS hit by hurricane and worse, groundseas from passing storms which can really cause havoc like last falls's 'unannounced storm'that did a number of Negril or this Feb.groundseas that took out a few jetties--including one of ours--in beautiful sunshine. September in the Caribbean can be a crap shoot;it can be hot, or rainy or stormy or magnificent or all the above. Since it's your honeymoon and your budget is US$4,200 you might want to look outside the Caribbean: Essouira/Agadir and Marrakesh in Morocco -- an easy overnight flight;Parati or Buzios in Brazil;The Gambia;or the far south of the Caribbean:Martinique,Guadeloupe,Barbados,the Grenadines, Los Roques off the coast of Venezuela --all might be a bit less dicey on weather...and out of the traditional hurricane belt.

Mar 18th, 2002, 03:35 PM
tivertonhouse

P.S. Aside from 'Mitch', 'Opal' and a few lesser recent storms, Gilbert's the worst in recent memory on island in the late 70's. And it was a disaster. Supposedly, El Nino affects take over this year as well. I wouldn't worry intensely about it -- just plan accordingly and limit your risk by choice. Plan on losing a day in travel either way so make your honeymoon a 10-dayer minimum if possible. And have a great time wherever you choose...

Mar 18th, 2002, 03:51 PM
June

ARUBA is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in the world, for North Americans, South Americans, and Europeans. It is south of the hurricane belt, so it's safe during September. It's a GREAT island!

Mar 18th, 2002, 04:30 PM
been there

I highly recommend Aruba. The Allegro Resort has an all inclusive option which is a must for this island. The resort has a number of resteraunts and varied cuisine. Lunch for 2 in Aruba is typically @ 30.00 and dinner easily reaches @100.00. LaCabana is a lively resort, very conducive to honeymooners, and offers a dine-around program for @200.00 per person. The Divi is all inclusive but not as elegant as the Allegro. Good Luck. I should note that Superclubs and Sandals do both offer "hurricane insurance". More risky to try Jamaica but worth it overall I think as Jamaica is cheaper than Aruba overall. A much prettier island too. Good luck.