Search

Honeymoon in July

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in July

My fiancee and I are getting married in July. I am petrified of a hurricane ruining my perfect honeymoon. We want to go to the carribean but we are not sure where. To give you an idea of what we like - We went to St. John in early June and absolutely LOVED it. Here is what we are looking for -
pretty much in order from most to least important:
1. Not to be in a hurricane
2. SNORKELING SNORKELING SNORKELING
3. Good Weather
4. An all inclusive hotel that is NOT geared towards children (I would say the hotel can be moderate-expensive)
5. A nice beach with clear water and soft sand
6. We do not need some kind of crazy nightlife but we wouldnt mind a place with some pulse - St. John was perfect nightlife for us - We could have even standed a little more
7. Not insanely populated
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Although hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30, the chances of a hurricane occuring in July are rather slim and if one did form the chances of it striking a particular island are even less so I wouldn't worry too much on that score.

Since snorkeling is a high priority you might want to consider visiting one one of the British Virgin Islands as snorkeling there will be similar to what you found on St. John. Check out places like Peter Island Resort (a private island resort near Tortola), Little Dix Bay or Biras Creek (both on Virgin Gorda) or perhaps Guana Island Resort (another private island resort). These places are not actually "All Inclusive" in that drinks and some activities are not included in the rates but they do offer meal plans. All of the above will give you access to wonderful beaches and gin clear waters. In short they will offer everything you are seeking.

Pretty much every Caribbean "expert" will tell you the island with the best off-beach snorkeling is Bonaire. This island is quite far south so you the threat of hurricanes is very very low. The island is not densely populated but you won't find any "All inclusives" resorts. By the way, you might want to rethink that requirement as it will severly limit your choices of islands and access to the excellent snorkeling you rate so high on your list of desires. Many people equate "all Inclusive" with bargains but that's not necessarily the case. With all inclusives (execpt high end properties) you usually sacrifice food quality in favor of quantity. Often times you can do just as well money wise by staying at a conventional resort and "dining out".

Getting back to suggestions, you might also want to check out resorts like Cap Jaluca or Cuisinart on Anguilla and Eden Rock, Le Toiny or Isle De France on St. Barths. You won't fine any all inclusives on these islands but you'll find some very nice beaches (some of the best in the Caribbean are on Anguilla) and access some decent, if limited, snorkeling (more so on Anguilla than St. Barths).

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:06 AM
KVR

We also were married in a July. We told our TA we wanted a nice beach, AI, snorkeling and relaxing with some nightlife. She directed us to Cozumel, MX. It was absolutely perfect. That was 6 1/2 years ago, but we've been back since and are going again next month on a cruise. We love that area. Unfortunatly, the hotel we stayed at is no longer there, but if we returned on a land vacation we would stay at the El Cozumelo (sp).

We also like Playa del Carmen. We are hoping to return in Sept. Crossing our fingers for good weather. We've been in an August and the weather was fine. We chose the Royal Playa del Carmen. Gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. Everyroom has it's own jaccuzzi and in-room bar. It's an adult's only property. Walking distance to 5th Ave for nightlife, resturants, bars and shopping.

If you really want to steer clear from hurricanes look at Aruba. Though the water isn't as clear as some Islands, we found the snorkeling to be really good. Lots of fish. It has more activites and nightlife than St. John. Also Curacao should have good snorkeling, and should be quiter than Aruba. It's on our list for next year.

We really love Grand Cayman for snorkeling. 7 Mile Beach is fabulous. They only have 2 AI properties. They are not luxury, but we would stay there.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank You A_Traveler and KVR! Your input is so helpful. We went to Virgin Gorda for the day to The Baths and loved it. We might consider staying there. KVR, did you find that the adult only hotels have a mixed crowd? i am nervous about ending up at a place that has all 21 year olds or all 60 year olds. You know what I mean?

Thank you!

By the way, the only reason we want AI is so I dont have to think about money on my vacation. Do you really think that AI doesnt save money? My fiancee and I are both vacation and weekend drinkers. You know what I mean? However, we are both food enthusiasts and really enjoy fresh deliciously crafted food.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
KVR

We only like to stay at AI properties when offered. We found a good variety of mixed aged couples. We like AI because of unlimted alcohol, breakfast and snacks. We eat some lunches and dinners on property, and eat off property also. Though some AI's are more about quanity than quality, it doesn't bother us. We've had both good and bad meals in an AI property and off site at a local restuarant. I'm just greatful that the cost of food and drinks were paid in the package price and I didn't have to budget that into our spending/excursion money.

If you loved St. John and Virgin Gorda, you may not like the Islands I suggested. We actually did not care for St. John or Virgin Gorda. Way to quite for our taste. Though the Islands are very beautiful. Have you looked at St. Lucia or Jamaica? Though they won't have the great snorkeling your looking for, they will have the lush greenery and mountains like St. John.

Another option would be Antigua. Haven't been there yet, but I understand the snorkeling is pretty good. The pictures I've seen of English Harbour from Shirley Heights, looks a lot like the pictures I have of Cruz Bay in St. John. There are AI hotels in Antigua including Sandals.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Congratulations knor on your upcoming wedding. We too were married in July and I actually forgot to think about hurricanes when planning. But we had a great time with great weather in Antigua. We told our TA we wanted to be somewhat pampered, not worrying about money, nice beach, some snorkeling, and I was intent on water skiing of all things.
We went to Sandals Antigua and loved it. We too are vacation drinkers and I liked being able to sample different drinks.
The guests were mixed in age. There were many pools and private spots so you can choose to be as active or as quiet as you like. The beach was great, and we had many delicious meals. They will do anything for you..an ice bucket with champagne delivered to your balcony or to the jacuzzi, a table on the sand for dinner....all you have to do is ask. Lots of great spots for pictures too on the lush grounds. We have been back since and will return again. We have read negative reviews from others about Sandals, but we were treated wonderfully.
Not sure about some construction maybe going on there now.
Have fun choosing. it's your honeymoon. You will have fun wherever you go.

I also second Aruba for hurricane avoidance.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Toppy - How was the nightlife and snorkeling there?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Included in the rate was a snorkel trip available everyday, out to a reef. Off the beach was not so good, but the trips left right from the beach as I recall and there might have been 2 a day. We went 3 or 4 times. They also have scuba trips and you can get resort certified. We did not try that. We took out the sailboats almost everyday and the kayaks. The water ski driver was very patient and I did that everyday. Depending how many people are there, you can go again and again morning and afternoon.
There was plenty to do at night. The open ballroom type area had a band most nights, and there was a late night piano bar upstairs. They also had some funny stuff going on around 8 such as the newlywed game or a talent show, or a beach barbeque. We often watched the entertainment from the 2nd floor OK Corall restaurant. I must confess ....we won the newlywed game.