Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Honeymoon in December - Aruba or Puerto Rico (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-in-december-aruba-or-puerto-rico-130150/)

Em Jun 14th, 2001 12:13 PM

Honeymoon in December - Aruba or Puerto Rico

We are honeymooning in December 2001 and deciding between the Wyndham El Conquistador Resort & Country Club in Puerto Rico and the Hyatt in Aruba. Any suggestions on which to choose?

eqf Jun 14th, 2001 06:22 PM

El Conquistador is a deluxe resort but bear in mind it is about 30 miles east of San Juan. The nearest town is Fajardo a couple of miles away - not a very large town. If you decide on PR you might consider the El San Juan hotel in the Isla Verde section, a major tourist area. <BR>YOu also have ready access to two other major tourist areas - Old San Juan and the Condado.

elmer Jun 15th, 2001 01:58 AM

I am also planning to have my honeymoon in PR, any suggestions on the places that I should not miss? what about the lodgin convenience? I hv heard about Parador(?), lodging, bed&baths... suggestions?... inputs?

jbarrick Jun 15th, 2001 10:38 AM

We just got back from our honeymoon in Aruba. Though we didn't get lucky enough to stay there, the Hyatt is phenominal and I would definitely suggest Aruba to anyone. We had a great time and there's lots to do. Good luck!

Dee Jun 15th, 2001 01:06 PM

No doubt about it. Go to Aruba and and stay at the Radisson. We stayed at El Conquistador two years ago. It's huge but older and many of the rooms are extremely dated. You'll need to take a boat to an island if you want to spend any time on the beach.

Alicia Jun 15th, 2001 04:04 PM

I live in Puerto Rico and can attest to its beauty, friendly, warm people and hospitatility. The Conquistador is one of the most beautiful hotels in the Caribbean that you'll ever find. It's located at the far east coast of the island at the foot of the spectacular rain forest. The view of this side of the island is breathtaking. The hotel has been completely renovated and modernized so it's untrue that the rooms are "dated" as another person wrote. It's true that you need to take the ferry over to the island, but once there it's all yours! This island is luxuriously prepared for its guests and the service is marvelous. <BR> <BR>On the cons of El Conquistador is 1) the long ride from the airport to reach it (at least 1 hour); 2) it's very expensive; 3) the personnel can be a little impersonal at times since they are taking care of so many large groups of people. <BR> <BR>I've been to Aruba but never stayed at the hotel you are mentioning. Aruba is quite beauitful also and the beaches are wonderful. If you are just planning on staying at your hotel the entire honeymoon, Aruba might be more to your taste, but if you want to venture out, and see historical sites such as those you will see around Old San Juan and Puerto Rico in general, then please consider our island. <BR> <BR>Happy Honeymoon!

elmer Jun 18th, 2001 05:15 AM

how are the beaches in puerto rico? is it fine sand? how's the weather? strong winds/waves? we plan to go there for our honeymoon by mid-november. how is the weather there? <BR> <BR>any suggestion on a hotel? destination? on the average, how much would it cost us per day (i.e., hotel, meals, transpo, beach entrance if any, etc.) <BR> <BR>hope to hear from you... thanks

eileen Jun 18th, 2001 05:35 AM

Hyatt Dorado! Do a search on this forum and you will find my comments. We love it!

alicia Jun 19th, 2001 06:02 AM

To: Elmer <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, November is not a good month to travel to Puerto Rico weather-wise. The hurricane season is basically over, but I can't recall a November in my 28 years on this island when it hasn't rained everyday. It's very warm, but rainy. <BR> <BR>The beach at Luquillo has sand, but not white sand. You'll see that kind of sand in the US Virgin Islands and Aruba. <BR> <BR>Puerto Rico has wonderful hotels, historical sites, an incredible rain forest, El Yunque, and fantastic people who are nice to tourists. <BR>Have a wonderful honeymoon.