Reload this Page >

Vacation for couple for $2,000 or less?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Kristy

My husband and I can only afford $2,000 for a vacation incl. hotel, air, & meals. Wanting 5-7 days, white sand, clear water, tropical island. Can fly out of Kansas City or St. Louis. Either all-inclusive or island with affordable dining. Can you help?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Kristy

Also, I've checked Apple and Funjet and mostly just find deals on Cancun, which doesn't really look very appealing to me. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Beth

This one is actually easy if you look for specials! While places like Aruba and Virgin Islands may be out you can get many great all-inclusive specials with charter airfare for $999/person or less! You will get as low as %700/person if you choose to go tto Mexico even. Believe me these are not all-inclusive dumps either, i never do anything less than 5 stars! Check out www.applevacations.com click on sizzling specials. I travel from Chiago but the same specials usually apply for St. Louis and Chicago. I particularly like anything Superclubs, Beaches, or Sandals. Jak Tar Village in St. Kitts is nice as is Radisson Cable Beach in the Bahamas. Try www.funjet.com too and check apple, funjet and airjamaica ads in the St. Louis paper. I think air Jamaica Vacations has the best pries and they are running specialls right now for fall, though their website doesn't have much info. Have fun!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Kristy

From what I've checked already, it doesn't look like Air Jamaica is an option from KC or St. Louis.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Beth

Air Jamaica Vacations packages are a possibility from any major city in the US. However, you may not get a direct flight on an Air Jamaica Jet from your home city. They partner with someone, I can't remeber if it is Delta or American, one of those. to be honest, I think it is Delta and you fly an air Jamaica jet from Atlanta and they tack on an extra fee for a Delta flight from your home city to Atlanta. this is not a large amount though. My sister in law used Air Jamaica for her Sandals honeymoon form Nashville. She called an Air Jamaica travel agent and they tacked about $100/person to the listed price of the vacation from Atlanta, something to look into. I vote for doing the Super Suprise with them. For a lower price (about $900 for a week) you know you are going to a superclubs resort in Jamaica but don't find out which one until the week before you leave. Its a great way to save money!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Doug

HI Kristy, perhaps you may want to venture to Eleuthera Island in the Bahamas. Airfare for 2 should avg $800 r/t. Stay at Cartwrights Cottages in Tarpum Bay for 7 days for $730.80 (tax incl)and rent a car for $300 for the week and still have cash left for resturants, food and shopping.Feel Free to Email me for more info on Eleuthera.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:42 PM
tivertonhouse

We have two properties on our roster of beach cottages,villas and estates in Jamaica that may fit your plans. See www.jamaicaescapes for HORIZON COTTAGES <BR>on the South Coast (us$635/week per cottage) and our offline working Web site at http://www.jamaicaescapes.com/siesta/jessap1.html for BAHIA COTTAGE at Runaway Bay on the North Coast(us$1,000/week low season,$1,200 high season). A full range of ancillary services (airport meeting service/transfers/cooks/private excursion guides etc. is also available. <BR>Delta is normally a co-share flight with Air Jamaica. Check US Air,now offering sale prices through 14 Dec for tickets bought by 27 July ,as well as Air Jamaica and travelocity/sidestep/orbitz for additional low airfares. <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:10 AM
Cindy

Kristy,...get to a local TA today as they receive the apple and funjet specials on Friday nites prior to them being put on the website and in the Sunday papers. There is a lot you can do for $2000.00. I just booked a couple from Chi to Ixpata 7nts 6Apple all Inclusive Square Deal for 777.00 per person including everything. How bout a cruise. Lots of deals on cruises. Also the Rui Tropical Negril (brand new resort)all inclusive was running 2200.00 from Chicago (per couple. Go sit down and get lots of ideas...your budget is fine.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 09:44 AM
Parrot Mom

Just booked the Iberostar Paraiso for under $1,000.00 each and that includes air fare direct from Boston..Receiving good feedback from previous visitors from the resort...It can be done.. and bvoid Jamaica....they are having an uprising in the city..

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:00 PM
Kristy

Thanks for all the ideas. A cruise was my first pick but I've heard of people running up some pretty hefty bar tabs. We want to enjoy mixed drinks without worrying how much it is adding up. Which islands have the most reasonable (& good) food and alcoholic beverages.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:20 PM
Kristy again

Also, resorts that include any excursions would be nice.

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 12:08 AM
Cindy

Actually, the drinks on board a cruise ship are less expensive (depends on what you are drinking) than on the islands as the liquor is duty free. I think drinks and food on the islands is all fairly expensive as most is shipped in. But Mexico doesnt seem as high, Cancun the Mayan Coast. The Palace all Inclusive hotel in Cancun and Playacar include sightseeing excursions.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:31 AM
Stephen Schulz

Kristy: Try this URL for some ideas-- http://www.tourscan.com/specials/specials.asp They currently have a very nice special on Wyndham Morgan Bay Resort all inclusive in ST. Lucia for $895 with air and transfers from NYC. You could probably still do this vacation for about $1,000 per person even with airfare add on from k.c. or St Louis. <BR>Hope this helps; <BR>Stephen Schulz

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:19 PM
d motl

Kristy: Can you get a good deal to Cancun? If so, you should strongly consider Isla Mujeres--a small Carribean island about 12 miles north of Cancun.We have a 20 page brouchure on the island that details hotel and food prices. We go there twice a year so the info is very current. Just e-mail us for a copy Dan and Ginny

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:58 AM
anonymous

Check out www.travelocity.com At the moment they are offering great deals on caribbean travel. We just got a great deal on a trip we are taking in Oct. Plane and hotel (which is a 4-star all inclusive)for under $1800. I'm not sure what kind of deals they have for flight out of St. Louis or Kansas City, but it would not hurt to check it out.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:26 AM
FRIZZ

Oh my gosh, we have you going everywhere!! Go to Jamaica pick a nice all inclucive. Relax on the beach with a book and your guy. Get some fun fruity drinks and enjoy!!