Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Antigua or Cayman Islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:34 AM
Shawna

My finance and I are trying to decide where to go on our honeymoon in July. We are thinking of either Sandals Antigua or Westin in Cayman Islands. Which would be better for relaxing, snorkeling, and great food?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:57 AM
bb

It depends what your expectations are. Cayman is a concrete jungle with no culture (Burger King central of the Caribbean), while Antigua is a bit more interesting. Snorkeling in Cayman is mediocre if you have been anywhere else. Sandals in Antigua is in a nice setting. There are many other places that are nicer than either of those two choices.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:07 PM
Carib Fan

BB is right. Cayman is nice, but it's like not even leaving the US. There is no "foreign" or"exotic" feel to it. I disagree about the snorkeling tho. If you know where to go there are some outstanding spots.<BR><BR>I think Antigua has more of an island flavor to it. It has some sights to see and we found the snorkeling to be adequate. (Hawksbill's beaches.) <BR><BR>Both islands tend to be crowded when cruise ships are in port.<BR><BR>We've never stayed at Sandals in Antigua, but did in Jamaica and the Sandals experience itself was great.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Tim

BB,<BR><BR>Snorkeling in Grand Cayman mediocre?? There is no way you have snorkeled in GC with such a false statement. Yes, it's americanized, with a "Florida" feel in (some) areas, but the snorkeling & diving in GC will be tough to beat.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:41 PM
bb

I used to LIVE in Cayman for a number of years. The snorkeling truly is mediocre compared to places like the Seychelles, Maldives, Red Sea--even Turks and Caicos. Where is this "fabulous" snorkeling that everyone is raving about? I used to take my non-diving friends snorkeling all the time and NOT ONE thought there was anything to write home about. The diving is very good in some places--those that haven't been destroyed yet. FYI I have about 2,000 dives in my logbook.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:54 PM
HR

Another thing to keep in mind about Caymen....it is really expensive. I spent my honeymoon there and was not real happy with what I got for what I paid. The best part was renting an open top jeep and driving around. Good luck!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:30 PM
Katie

We also honeymooned in Grand Caymens Islands and it was a *BIG* letdown compared to the pristine US Virgin Islands. The hotels and restaurants are *WAY* overpriced and overated. The Burger Kings, Hard Rock Cafe, KFC etc reminded us of Miami but at twice the price. The Grand Caymens have a sanitized cultureless American concrete jungle feel. There are no villas just condos and resorts on every inch of its only good beach which was crowded and had mediocre snorkeling. The island is a pancake with no tremendous views or lush terrain like the USVIs. The traffic comes to a standstill during rush hour and up to six cruise ships in port each day. Yuck!!<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:56 PM
Shari

Antigua gets my vote for a honeymoon. Congratulations & good luck on your up coming wedding.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:14 AM
Albert

"Too Americanized" actually means too upscale, decent and nice for your tastes, I suppose! Oh well -- some travelers just RELISH being around poverty, I suppose!!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:12 AM
VW

I have another suggestion - we went on an 11 day cruise on Grandeur of the Seas - and snorkeled 6 locations - each one was different-Key West, GC, Ochos Rios, Jamaica, Cozumel, Aruba, Curacao (my favorite) Romantic, relaxing, and you can't beat the prices this year when there are so many ships out there. Royal Caribbean is great. I know that wasn't your question - but I just had to say it was a fabulous trip. And a tip - book an inside room - cheaper and it can be dark anytime of day if you want! Check out icruise.com to find trips -good prices.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:17 AM
Trish

We have done both. Water is more pristine in GC and both places have nice pools. However, we think Sandals Antigua would be the better choice for you as it is your honeymoon. More tropical and colorful. There is more history in Antigua and is just has a more romantic feel. You will enjoy the local markets in Antigua better, also, which sell carvings, baskets and other handicrafts.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:39 PM
Penney

Sandals Antigua is wonderful! We have been to many Sandals and thought the grounds here were amazing - so lush and tropical. Great romantic atmosphere, good food and service.