Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Honeymoon Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-help-408956/)

sanxian Mar 9th, 2004 03:37 PM

Honeymoon Help!

My Fiance and I are looking to spend a week in the caribbean for our Honeymoon in Late July. Everytime we think we find the right spot, we find something wrong with it. Can anyone help?

Here is what we are looking for.

We are late twenties, smokers, and like a decent night life (bars, dancing, etc) but that is not our main concern. We want a room with a balcony, a beautiful view of a beach. We want a pool and beach access, with plenty of activities if we want. But we also want to be relaxed doing absolutely nothing. Food isn't that important, but we don't want food poisoning. We want at least 4 stars. Our budget is 5000 for all inclusive, 3500 for other. Can anyone help us out, or are we just asking too much?

P.S. We are not too wild about Sandals, To plastic.

karlfollman Mar 9th, 2004 04:08 PM

I've heard that the Plantation Inn on Nevis is superb.

KarenM Mar 9th, 2004 05:24 PM

Go to Aruba or Paradise Island. Most of the islands have minimal night life. Although in July it will be hot hot hot. However, if you must have night life you are most likely to find it at these two than other islands. Most people go to the islands to relax not to party. From these two islands there are plenty of resorts that fit the rest of your criteria.

micheles Mar 10th, 2004 04:49 AM

Ocean Club in Paradise Island-relax,great beach,restaurants.. bars at neighboring hotel Atlantis and Nassau. Better deals in the summer, get the meal plan.
Our Lucaya in Freeport Bahamas- great beach balcony..some nightlife.
Anguilla- Malliouhana, CJ , Cuisinart, Frangiapani-all have great summer romance deals, the best beaches with great views from either hotels. activities are usually complimentary during the day. Nightlife is not that hopping,but there are some bars in Sandy Ground.
Cabo San Lucas- may not be considered Caribbean but beautiful views , nightlife ,great pools.Palmilla and las Vententas are wonderful choices.
Good luck!

travleis Mar 10th, 2004 07:12 AM

Ocean Club does fit most of your criteria but has an unimpressive pool away from the beach, and rates for the "4 star" type rooms with balconies won't fit under budget.

I think michele's suggestion of Cabo is interesting. I don't think of Cabo when people inquire about Caribbean vacations, but it really is a great alternative. Hot as the dickens in July, but if you stay on the beach between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo it's literally almost 20 miles long, very uncrowded, great water sports available, fun little town if you're into more lively nightlife, very wide range of accommodations including some of the best resorts in North America (Las Ventanas, Esperanza, etc), and CSL is not at all like Cancun or Puerto Vallarta.

eileen Mar 10th, 2004 07:22 AM

Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen Mexico, make sure you get the oceanview category as lots of rooms there do not have views. No nightlife at the resort, but you will find some in Playa Del Carmen, a $5 taxi ride. It's AI, but a gourmet AI. Lots of folks spend their honeymoons there and I haven't heard one negative comment!