Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   HONEYMOON HELP!!!!!!!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-help-388798/)

jennydohair Jan 18th, 2004 10:42 AM

HONEYMOON HELP!!!!!!!!!

Message: We have made up our mind that we are going to the CARIBBEAN!! But...we cannot decide on which island. We will be travelling in June. The most important thing to us is beautiful beaches that we can just lay on all day. Obviously, we would like a place where there a few things to do. But seclusion and beaches are the number one priority. PLEASE POST ANY SUGGESTIONS

ROBTN Jan 18th, 2004 11:20 AM

Jenny,

Depending on your budget, I would highly recommend Caneel Bay in St. John on the US Virgin Islands. Some of the very best beaches in the Carribbean and a beautiful resort. You also have St. Thomas nearby if you want more things to do, but St. John is just one of the most beautiful places you will ever see.

pattye111 Jan 18th, 2004 11:34 AM

I would also go to St. John. I've been on 15 cruises and this is my favorite place to go.

If you stay in St. John or St. Thomas you can take the ferry over to Tortola and back and forth between St. John and St. Thomas. They have a car ferry from Red Hook.

I can't remember how much but if you stay in St. Thomas and rent a car for the week you can take your car over to St. John and spend a day on their beaches.

I think the ferry goes from St Thomas to Tortola.
I wouldn't go all that way and not see Tortola if I had a whole week.

The ferry isn't very expensive at all.

Go to the St. Thomas Chamber of Commerece Website for more information.

pattye111 Jan 18th, 2004 11:36 AM

oh, but you can't take your car rental from St.Thomas to Tortola, only a passenger ferry.

Either way.. the island is so close I would go on over and check it out.

TedTurner Jan 18th, 2004 12:49 PM

So the list of criteria is 1) great beaches, 2) seclusion, 3) at least a few things to do.

You didn't suggest a budget (which is a pretty significant factor) but I'd suggest you start by looking at resorts/villas on the following islands:
Anguilla
St. John
St. Bart's
Eleuthera
Harbour Island
Turks & Caicos

Be aware that as a general rule, the prettiest/greenest islands have the least beautiful beaches. There are exceptions (St. John being one).

jennydohair Jan 18th, 2004 01:11 PM

We are planning to go all out, as far as our budget is concerned.

DianeL Jan 18th, 2004 02:32 PM

I would suggest a jr. suite at Cap Juluca

cmcfong Jan 18th, 2004 04:00 PM

Look at Cambridge Beaches and the Pink Beach Club on Bermuda. Seclusion, luxury and easy access to anything else. As to the beaches, if there are prettier ones, I haven't seen them.

lisalu Jan 21st, 2004 06:37 PM

We are leaving for St. Thomas next Saturday. I was just there in October with my sister and we rented a car and for $ 37.00 took the car ferry over to St. John for the entire day! We had a ball! On St.Thomas island there is more to do if you want or you can just relax for a honeymoon adventure and venture over to the other islands.
Lisa

Carola22 Jan 21st, 2004 10:37 PM

Anguilla, Anguilla, Anguilla! (I've read that St. Thomas is very busy and 'Americanized').

jennydohair Jan 22nd, 2004 10:52 AM

Carola22:
What would you recommend for the best island for a honeymoon? Our interests for the trip are beautiful beaches, seclusion, water activities, fine dining?
We are thinking of Anguilla and any time we would like to spice it up a little, we would take the ferry over to St. Martin. I noticed you are going to Anguilla in July. That is approximately when we will be there. So you might now what to expect for weather, things we must do or see, where to stay. I have heard we must stay on the Caribbean rather than the Atlantic, is there any validity to that? Sorry I am asking so many questions.

jennydohair Jan 22nd, 2004 10:53 AM

I do "know" how to spell.

SteveL Jan 23rd, 2004 05:30 AM

I second the Cap Juluca suggestion and would add another different sort of place, i.e., Peter Island. They are both great, but different. Both have great beaches and seclusion (Peter Island has beaches you can hike to that have NOBODY on them). Both have good food, but Anguilla has a lot more options.

The best beaches in Anguilla are on the Caribbean side, but there are some nice ones on the Atlantic. Best beaches to stay on are Maundy's (Cap Juluca), Mead's (Malliouhana and Carimar and maybe a couple others), and Rendezvous (Cuisinart and Sonesta if memory serves me). Don't miss Little Bay and Shoal Bay as well, but you can't stay on Little Bay and I don't think there are any good places on Shoal Bay. Another option is Covecastles (not sure of the name of the beach), just up from Cap Juluca on its own beach.

MaryD Jan 23rd, 2004 01:01 PM

Meads Bay is on the Atlantic as is Shoal Bay East which is routinely included in lists of best beaches in the Caribbean.

Carola22 Jan 23rd, 2004 11:25 PM

Sorry Jenny, to be answering your question only now - I didn't check this board for a few days. Yes, we do always go in July; as long as my husband is not yet retired it is the only time of the year when we have the opportunity to take our big holiday! Anguilla is fine in July - yes of course it gets hot, although we have also had the occasional rainshower. But nothing major! All in all, we love the Caribbean climate, but of course if people really have a problem with heat it's best for them to stay away from the Caribbean altogether! Anyway, we always find the heat bearable, especially because of the cooling trade winds! And if you're staying somewhere on the beach (for us that is a must, and in Anguilla there are lots of great hotels on the beach) you can always take a dip in the ocean!
As to the best hotel for honeymooners, well I;ve always heard that Cap Juluca is the best. It does seem to be getting a bit too busy and popular now, though, but from what I;ve heard still with great service and an absolutely beautiful location. We ourselves have stayed at Frangipani twice - it's a lovely, dreamy, friendly hotel right on a huge, beautiful beach (Mead's Bay). However, I've heard reports that their restaurant is closed now...? But there are other excellent restaurants within walking distance.
For this year we decided to try another hotel - Rendezvous Bay Beach Hotel. We love the restaurant there, and it has everything WE need, but it is a very simple, low-key hotel. On a great beach though! So, I don;t know if I would recommend this for your honeymoon - Cap J would still be my 1st recommendation for that. Hope this helps - any other questions just ask.

SteveL Jan 26th, 2004 07:02 AM

See http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/ag/agmap.shtml for a map, but the following beaches are on the Caribbean (Northwest) side of Anguilla:

Barnes
Mead's
Sandy Ground (Road)
Little Bay
Shoal Bay (East)

The following are on the Atlantic (Southeast):

Shoal Bay West
Maundy's
Rendezvous

These three are sheltered from the Atlantic by St. Martin and by the points that include Blowing Point.

Another map at http://www.ehi.com/travel/carib/anguilla/hot_map1.html gives resort locations.

MaryD Jan 26th, 2004 07:16 AM

That's completely backwards -- Shoal Bay West, Maundy's & Rendezvous are on the Caribbean. I stay at Frangipani (Meads) & frolic in the Atlantic and watch the big boats in the shipping lanes way out in the ocean.

travleis Jan 26th, 2004 09:14 AM

Yes, the Caribbean beaches are the most desirable ones overall. Maunday's is Caribbean. Mead's is Atlantic.
Your info is reversed.

SteveL Jan 26th, 2004 12:41 PM

I stand corrected. I verified my mistake, but I'm still confused by what's where (and I've been there a few times!).

http://www.anguillaguide.com/article/archive/5/ seems to give a better explanation.

I hope I didn't add to anybody's confusion other than my own.

Sorry.

MaryD Jan 26th, 2004 01:42 PM

Hey SteveL,
Simple way to remember: If you're looking at St. Martin, you're looking at the Caribbean -- it separates St. Martin from Anguilla (the north/south, east/west thing can be confusing because of Anguilla's unusual shape).