Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Honeymoon destination? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-destination-244792/)

ryan Jul 31st, 2002 11:28 AM

Honeymoon destination?

Recntly engaged and planning a honeymoon for end of july-beginning august next year. definately want to go topical with it, but not sure where would be best. <BR><BR>i'd like to find a place that has activities available, but still is laid-back and doesn't require a busy itinerary to enjoy. it should be pretty luxurious...not because we're that kind of people, but just because i don't want to cook our own meals for a honeymoon, etc. <BR><BR>was thinking abacos, caymans, or maybe belize, but open to suggestions. <BR>

ryan Aug 1st, 2002 03:12 PM

noone has ANYTHING to say?<BR>well, how about some additional info...<BR>like sailing and snorkeling, possibly diving. don't want to be surrounded by only Americans, but don't want some place so off the beaten path that we're in over our heads.

linda Aug 2nd, 2002 10:39 AM

Biras Creek in the BVI's!! No kids (I love kids and have 2, but not for a honeymoon, right?), totally laid back tropical luxury. The food was fantastic, in an amazing setting. But the best part - the resort has it's own really nice beach - but you get full use of a fleet of Boston Whalers so you can visit a different deserted beach each day - they'll even pack you a gourmet picnic!! There's great daytrips available thru the resort as well. I can't say enough positive things about this resort. Went for our 10 year anniversary last summer and it exceeded every expectation (and our expectations were high!) Let me know if you have any other questions. I have pictures too!<BR>

xxx Aug 2nd, 2002 10:40 AM

The Abaco Islands.

linda Aug 2nd, 2002 10:42 AM

Just read your second post. Sailboats available right at the beach. The snorkeling was amazing!! There are great hiking trails all over, plus tennis. We met some great people from England - including a travel writer from London who gave it a fantastic review. I know they had diving options as well. They also have a "sailaway" option, where you can spend a few days of your stay on board a yacht. Really wanted to do it but couldn't afford the extra. I'm dieing to go to the Abacos as well, or somewhere in the outislands, hopefully this summer....

l Aug 2nd, 2002 10:45 AM

The caymans is great for diving, and the beaches are beautiful, but the island itself seemed pretty flat and arid to me - not the "tropical paradise" you think of in the Carribbean. Never been to Belize but hear it's wonderful!

ryan Aug 4th, 2002 05:46 PM

thanks linda! i'll definately check it out. i know i have almost a full year, but i want to do as much research as possible so we can do it right...for the right price. at the same time, i want to get it taken care of as soon as i can.

barbara Aug 4th, 2002 06:12 PM

What about Harbour Island in the Bahamas? Pink Sands is one of amny lovely hotels on the island. It's a very special isaland..one that enjoys quite a celebrity presence. Other choice would be St. Barts. Don't forget this is hurricane season. Even without a hurricane, you can end up with the weather that can start a hurricane (stormy). Have you considered Hawaii or Cabo?