Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Honeymoon -- Budget (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/honeymoon-budget-649961/)

ramona23 Sep 29th, 2006 07:52 PM

Honeymoon -- Budget

We've been to St. Lucia and St.Maarten, so we are looking at U.S.V.I or BVI, but are open to any other ideas. Preferably a smaller resort, with a nice/quiet beach. However, we do not want to break the bank, on something like $300-$400 a night.

After all the weddding planning we just want a quiet/relaxing time. Some snorkeling will be about as active as we may get.

All suggestions would be so appreciated.

beachdreams3 Sep 30th, 2006 05:29 AM

What time of year are you planning to take your honeymoon? That information will help people to provide recommendations that fit your budget.

ramona23 Sep 30th, 2006 08:02 AM

We are going in November.

turksoldtimer Sep 30th, 2006 08:16 AM

Staying at the Sibonne on the Turks and Caicos sounds just about right for what you are looking for, a beautiful stretch of beach to relax on. You can also look on www.vrbo.com for some studios for rent by owners that are also decent prices with small kitchens or kitchenettes.

ejcrowe Sep 30th, 2006 08:44 AM

Is your budget of $300-400/night just for accommodations only, or does it include food, drinks, activities, etc? If it's the former, you should be able to find something very nice on just about every island because November is low season. If it's the latter, your options are clearly more limited, but there are several places that would still suit.

The Sugar Mill or the Long Bay Beach Resort on Tortola would both fall well within your price range. So would Nail Bay and Leverick Bay on Virgin Gorda. If your quoted budget is for accommodation only, you could probably even find a room at Little Dix, also on Virgin GOrda, at the upper end of your range. The BVI are generally laid back and fairly quiet and offer good snorkeling from shore, thus meeting all of your criteria.

ramona23 Sep 30th, 2006 10:53 AM

Sorry, let me clarify, our budget is not $300-$400 a night, we are looking to do something more economical. However $200 a day, possible?

beachdreams3 Sep 30th, 2006 12:03 PM

I can't offer any input on the VIs, but like another poster, I was thinking that Turks & Caicos (in particular Provo, Grace Beach)would be a good option in terms of offering beautiful, relaxing beaches. Anguilla might be another option for the same reason.

In Provo during November, you should be able to find accommodations on the beach (although probably not an ocean front or ocean view room) at one of the more moderately priced properties for around $200/night (room only). Most of these properties are condos, so you would have a kitchen or kitchenette. While I'm not a fan of cooking on vacation, being able to keep food on hand for breakfasts, some lunches, and snacks does help keep costs down, not to mention cutting down on time spent waiting in restuarants on "island time". Other places to consider on Provo besides the Sibonne are the Royal West Indies, Ocean Club and OC West, and the Sands. Provo seems to have pretty good snorkeling too.

ramona23 Sep 30th, 2006 01:30 PM

Sorry, to be a little clearer as there is alot to factor in, we are looking to spend no more than $200 a day on accomodations, but about $300 a day w/ food and drink.

beachgirl86 Sep 30th, 2006 01:54 PM

Take a look at Ku on Anguilla. You can get a beachfront room for 200/night, and it is the best beach in the world! A very quiet and romantic island...perfect for what you are looking for!

virginia Sep 30th, 2006 04:42 PM

hi ramona, congratulations on your wedding.
i love provo but it is a fairly expensive island.
re: usvi - st. john is beautiful, quiet, has great beaches and wonderful snorkeling. pretty pricey. st. thomas is very busy, has great duty free shopping, fabulous dining, lots to do. some nice beaches. one place you might look at is www.secretharbourvi.com a mid-sized all condo hotel. your budget should work. has a nice quiet beach and good snorkeling. also located 5 mins from red hook ferry so you could go to st.john for day trips.
i have not been, but have read many good reports of long bay beach resort here on fodors. or you might take a look at the very small, much less formal www.sandcastle-bvi.com - beautiful beach on virgin gorda with snorkeling. also boat trips to nearby spots for snorkeling are available.
in any event if this trip is for this nov. i would book it as soon as possible. many places are already booking up.

christiegr Sep 30th, 2006 07:09 PM

ramona,
On Grand Cayman you could get a condo at www.discoverypointclub.com

and it is on a quiet beach with a pool and jaquzzi on the beach.

We paid $280 a night this past May for a 2 bedroom condo.The studio's and 1 BR's are cheaper.It is very nice and quiet and on a nice snorkeling beach.

Good luck!

Christie