Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon at Grand Lido Negril or Sans Souci?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:39 AM
Courtney

Please help! I am completely torn between Grand Lido Negril and Grand Lido Sans Souci for my Dec. 3rd honeymoon. We have been to Jamaica before (and love it!), but never to a "higher end" resort like Grand Lido. I have researched both and think each have pros and cons. My fiance and I like to just RELAX, enjoy the beach, have great food and drink, maybe snorkel, and not a lot more. We don't need too much activity or nightlife and enjoy a not-so-crowded atmosphere. I really want the most for our money. Has anyone been to either recently or been to both and liked one much more than the other?

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:53 AM
Beth

This may not specifically answer your question but hopefully will give you some insight. I will say up front that I have not been to Grand Lido Negril or Grand Lido San Souci but have been to Grand Lido Braco and Sandals Negril along wi th many other resorts in Jamaica (my favorite isle) I am 28 hubby is 30 so . . . . Anyway, we did Grand Lido Braco with 2 other couples and really enjoyed the trip. The village type accomodations were really authentic. The nightlife was good for an all-inclusive resort as people were about our age and active. As we were a group we went to the disco and hung out late in the evenings and like the "active" side of the resort. We also enjoyed laying on the beach or by the pool during the day and went snorkeling as well. teh Grand Lido Braco had nice accomodations, food was plentiful as well as drinks and it was a somewhat deluxe resort with 24 hour room service (but no in room stocked fridge or bar) Friends (some of the same ones who went with us on our trip)have been to both Grand Lido San Souci and Grand Lido Negril as well. They reported these resorts while deluxe as is Braco were more stiff and formal and seemed to cater to an "older" crowd with nothing going on at night. Of those ttwo, I would choose Lido NEgril. San Souci is on the north side of JAmaica where the snorkeling is not as good and has according to friends so many steps they felt like they were climbing a mountain getting from room to the pool. Negril in general has the absolute BEST beaches IMHO in Jamaica (maybe in caribbean) I LOVED Sandals Negril though and thought it was a little nicer than the Gran Lido we had been to. It was all couples (unlike lidos) and we went for our honeymoon. We chose the concierge level room and had a personal concierge, 24 hr. room service, first choice of snorkeling and restaurant reservations, and a fully stocked bar (not mini) as well as stocked fridge in the room. The age range there ran right around 30 but you saw all ages. Some people being honeymooners kept to themselves, others participated in the many activities by the playmakers. Think about this one before your final decision. Whatever you choose you will have a wonderful honeymoon in JAmaica

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 01:06 PM
Penney

I was married at Grand Lido Negril (so I am a little biased!) and is was wonderful. Of the many times we have been to Jamaica, we will how only return to Negril for the beach is far superior over Ocho Rios. Water is nice and calm for water sports and the yacht there is wonderful for the sunset cruises. Do get a ground floor room here however as the balconies are small. <BR> <BR>But why not do the special they are running - get both resorts and they will fly you in between the two.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 03:01 PM
George

We have been to all three Lido's and Negril is our favorite. However, when last at Negril (3years) the property was starting to show its age and SuperClubs was to begin a renovation program of all the rooms. Details of what is to be done and when, are difficlt to acquire , if at all. Of the three, San Souci is by far the most plush. I would try to get infomation on the state of the Negril renovations. If you can't get the details you need, I would go to San Souci and you won't be sorry. I also think that San Souci is definately the most romantic atmosphere. The comments re the steps shouldn't be a consideration, not a problem.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 07:10 AM
Dave

We have been to both GLN and GLSS, and liked GLN more. We thought the beach was better, the nude beach was more private, and it was much quieter in the evening. We would return to GLN only.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:48 AM
Sandy

Do not stay at Grand Lido in Negril. <BR>The place is old/aging. My husand and I was in Jamaica, last December and visited the Grand Lido. Not nice at all. We were shocked, because we heard so much good thing about the resort and through magazine and so on. For the money, you should choose Jamaica Inn (Ocho Rios) or Coyaba beach resort & spa (Montego Bay). These are small intimate resorts therefore most people don't know about it. We have been to the above resorts and also stayed at Ritz Carlton in Montego Bay. Ritz is very nice, but doesn't have a nice beach. Sine it will be your honeymoon, I will pick Jamaica Inn (877-470-6975)reservation number or Coyaba beach resort (877-coy-aba8). No I'm not a travel agent. I just loved traveling & staying at beautiful resorts. <BR>Both are very romantic, good service, nice room and beautiful beach. Absolutely breathtaking and secluded. <BR>Go to www.luxurylink.com and click on best buys and currently they're having awesome rates at the above 2 resorts. You can also see the pictures. Hope this help. <BR>Congradulation and have a wonderful honeymoon. My personal preference is Jamaica Inn. Very romantic & great service. Sandals in Antigua is very nice but I don't know your budget? It could be more expensive then Jamaica resorts. Go to www.sandals.com and they're having I think 30% off on sandals.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 10:43 AM
TRAVELER

Go to Grand Lido Negril! Book it now and they are giving FREE round trip AIR transfers from Montego Bay to Negril. Great perk, no 3 hour bus ride. Have your agent call SuperClubs and ask about it. December is just around the corner!