Holy Cow...Need Help selecting a St. John Villa

Aug 4th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Paul

Holy Cow...Need Help selecting a St. John Villa

I am pretty overwhelmed looking for a St. John Villa. We have narrowed it to two villas. They are Sunset Villa (Devers Bay) and Hart Bay Beach House (Hart Bay). Has anyone stayed at either of these villas. We are looking for good or bad news on either to help up make our decision. Thank for the help in advanced

Paul and Janet

Aug 6th, 2002, 02:28 AM
mel

Please be very cautious about Hart Bay Beach house. This property is in foreclosure and any deposit money sent to the owner may not be refundable, or reservation honored when the bank takes over. Think you would be very pleased with Sunset Villa. I have no connection to either property, but do live on St. John.

Aug 6th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Paul

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

I was having troubles getting in contact with anyone there and was a little concerned. We have not made any reservations at this time. In the website the (Hart Bay) property looked very nice. I am really grateful that you replied before we tried to post any reservation money with them.

Is there any other places that are on the water (hopefully with a beach) that you would recommend? My fiance really wants air-conditioning for the bedroom. We would like to stick around the $1800 to $2500 range for a week. Gibney Beach Villas looked nice, but it is a little on the pricey side.

Again, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Paul

Aug 6th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Lawren

Actually Hart Bay Beach House is NOT in foreclosure it is in the process of being sold. They are trying to get the new buyers to honor all reservations...but I wouldn't recommend taking a chance.

I have stayed at several of caribbeanvilla.com locations but am most satisfied with Great Cruz Bay location because of it's conveniences. It is close to the market for food etc, paved roads and 10 to 15 minutes from N Shore. That doesn't necessarily mean you are giving up privacy though.

I have never heard of Sunset villa...

You don't mention how many are traveling or when....or what you are looking for in your villa. So I hope I've helped....

L

Aug 6th, 2002, 02:53 PM
mel

The owner of Hart Bay had a 6 month right of redemption after the property went to auction. There were no bidders at the auction. The bank will proceed to acquire the deed, after 6 month period, and put the house up for sale. Owner appears to continue marketing the house for rent.
Sunset Beach Villa is a beautiful house located on the water/beach on Devers Bay in Chocolate Hole. Devers is not a white sandy beach like the north shore Park beaches, but nevertheless is swimmable and much easier to get into than at Hart Bay.
Mel, on St.John.

Aug 7th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Paul

I wrote to Hart Bay Beach House about a week ago. I asked about getting the house for 10 days. I also asked a couple questions about the villa, pictures, the beach, and about the property in general. There was about 1/2 of a page of commentary from me. It took the better part of a week to get the following reply: "We really are concentrating on large groups and Weddings. thank you and best of luck". This makes me believe they are not looking to rent out the place. I guess I could believe the foreclosure story. We have kind of changed our minds and are looking at Andante, Belle Mer, Ciellodonna, Splendore, and Sunset Beach Villa.

Mel, any facts or suggestions on these. I really think Belle Mer looks nice, but nobody seems to have any information on it.

Thanks for all the help.

Paul

Aug 8th, 2002, 03:36 AM
mel

Although I have not stayed at Belle Mer I know the house. It is very nice, lovely furnishings,charming, well maintained, and right on the water. Small dip pool. The beach is cobblestones with sand bottom and good snorkeling. You don't say how many in your party or what time of year you are coming. Belle Mer is ideal for two couples or a family. The owners of Bel Mer are now using the house most of the "winter season".
You may want to check out usvi-on-line.com for reviews of villas. Go to icon on header for user reviews, hotels St. John. Also do a search on that forum for the other villas you have chosen. Suggestion: don't overlook other villas that are not on the water. You will spend most of your time at the gorgeous Park beaches.
Interesting reply from the Hart Bay owner, hope he is out of here soon!

Aug 8th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Nan

Another villa rental agency we used was vacationvista.com. We rented Argonauta villa and it was absolutely amazing. Stunning views, great location. Had everything. Splendore is also listed on that site.

I agree, you don't need to be close to the water because you will be driving around to the many gorgeous beachs on St John. The views from Argonauta Villa were outstanding. The photos on the site are accurate, although even prettier inperson.

Good luck!

Aug 8th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Paul

It will be my fiance and I coming to St. John next July for our Honeymoon. For her birthday last year I gave her a trip to St. John (with me of course). She traveled the US quite extensively (mostly by land), but had never been out of the states. She and I fell in love with the island. Wish we could come back this year, but we are saving for the wedding and honeymoon next year. I started looking off the beach and found Morningside Villa which looks absolutely awesome. We still have some planning (and deciding) to do. Thanks Again for all the help.

Paul

Aug 8th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Anita

Hi Mel. You have provided some great info. here. Given your obvious knowledge of the island, I was wondering if you (or anybody else out there) has any experience with the following villas on St. John (listed through www.destinationstjohn.com):

Beau Soleil
Villa Ambiance (really looks beautiful)
La Mer
Stoneridge

Thanks!

Aug 8th, 2002, 03:11 PM
mel

Paul,
Morningside is located just above Belle Mer. Beautiful views, 4 bedrooms, but two are on lower level. Belle Mer would probably be "cosier" for two, but since it is right on the water won't have the views that Morningside has. Sooooo many wonderful villas to choose from, I know it is difficult to decide. Another possibility to look at would be Estate Lindholm. This is a lovely property located just out of town, on the way to the north shore beaches. Nice rooms with small frig., microwave, but not a full kitchen, air, balcony with great views, breakfast included and served on the patio. Great hosts. Search for their web site.

Aug 8th, 2002, 03:24 PM
mel

Anita,
My comments on your choices:
Beau Soliel is located near
Coral Bay, on the eastern side of the island. It is a beautiful home and great for 2 couples. 3rd bedroom is not equal to the upper two.
Villa Ambiance. Very conveniently located within a short drive to town. Gorgeous views and sunsets. Don't know if new owners have made any changes. Wonderful home.
Stoneridge. Again, gorgeous views & beautiful home. Located close to Cruz Bay, with access from Centerline Road. Sits high above Caneel Bay. Wonderful gardens.
Sorry, don't know LaMer.

Aug 8th, 2002, 04:53 PM
pete

Morningside is glorious. Wonderfully redone just recently. You will be more than thrilled with the location and the property. Might also want to check out the new villa on the beach at Gibney. They are delightful and one of the few places right on a beach.

Aug 8th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Anita

Thanks Mel!

Aug 8th, 2002, 07:05 PM
inquiringminds

Hey Nan...
Is that a valid web address for Vacation Vistas?

I tried wwww.vacationvistas.com and got an error page...any updates?

Aug 9th, 2002, 02:25 AM
MB

It's www.vacationvistas.com. You put one too many w's in yours.
Good luck