Reload this Page >

Holiday Inn versus Allegro

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Paul

My wife and 18 month old daughter will be visiting Aruba in September/October this year and are trying to choose an all-inclusive resort. 2 choices suggested to us are the Holiday Inn and the Allegro (renamed the Occidental).<BR><BR>Does anyone have any suggestions on these two or any other all-inclusive resorts. We definitely want to be located right on the beach.<BR><BR>thanks for your help!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:29 PM
another

I stayed at the Occidental (Allegro) a few years ago. Food was very good, rooms were nice, not luxurious, but very comfortable. I saw about 12 hotels during my stay there and I would avoid the Holiday Inn. That is MY personal opinion. You will always find someone who likes a place and someone that doesn't. I didn't care for it because it looked like a glorified motel, and the lobby area felt very closed in. That was 3 years ago, and they may have made some changes.<BR><BR>Since Occidental and Allegro have merged, most of the Occidental properties are a bit more upscale than the Allegro side. Both resorts have beautiful beaches.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:58 PM
cdt

Personally I would never do all-inclusive in Aruba - there are lots of dining options in every price range and it's easy and safe to get around.<BR><BR>But if you insist . . . .<BR><BR>The Holiday Inn is basic but serviceable and has a nice beach. Worst thing about it, in my opinion, is that there is just a modest-sized rectangular pool for a hotel with 600 rooms.<BR><BR>Between these two, Allegro is the better choice.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:56 PM
another

I agree totally with cdt. Aruba is known for the food. I did an all-inclusive because I was on a tour operator fam and that is where we stayed. Given a choice, in Aruba, go for EP! What was said about the pool at the HI, is exactly what I meant about looking like a motel. There are many beautiful resorts there to fit all budgets. Take your time and find what works for you and your family. <BR><BR>BTW, I found shopping there to be wonderful, as good as St. Thomas. Have fun!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:05 PM
sue

It is cheaper and more economical to do the traditional plan. I'd stay away from all inclusives.<BR><BR>All the people I know who went to an all inclusive in Aruba were upset with the food.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Marilyn

I have been to Aruba 3 times and there are so many great restaurants that you will not get to dine at if you choose to stay at an all-inclusive. Also, the all-inclusives seem to attract a lot of couples in their 20s who are heavy drinkers. If I were you, a couple traveling with a baby, I would much prefer staying at a place like the Wyndham, Radisson or Marriott. This is just my own personal opinion.