Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Sunspree @ Montego Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/holiday-inn-sunspree-montego-bay-19977/)

Tom Dec 30th, 1997 11:02 AM

Holiday Inn Sunspree @ Montego Bay

We're planning a trip to Montego Bay in January. Has anyone been there since the renovations have been done and how did you like it? Thanks.

Jean E. Bowers Dec 31st, 1997 06:53 AM

I was in Jamaica in June and visited the Holiday Inn. I had stayed there several times before the renovations. The public areas I saw were quite nice. I heard that the food service is still extremely slow, and the food not very good. On that trip I stayed at the Wyndom Rose Hall and was very pleased. The hotel is lovely, food service good and speedy,(for the Caribbean) and the pool and grounds beautiful. I think that the Wyndom is a better value and more enjoyable even though it is more expensive than the Holiday Inn.

David Dec 31st, 1997 05:14 PM

Last time we were in Jamaica it was the Poinciana Resort in Negril. Amazing two week vacation!! Highly recommended but that was 6 years ago and you know how those Caribbean hotels change so quickly.

Anyway, we have a daughter now and we are looking for best value this time around. This place looked ok, so we booked for March. We will let you know what it's like. Too late for your January trip though.

If you decide to stay there, let us know what it was like. Have fun in the sun!

Denise Jan 6th, 1998 06:41 PM

I, too, am looking for more info from people who have stayed at the newly renovated Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay, Jamaica. We have an 8 year old daughter who is eager to go to Jamaica. I don't know if I'm that eager after reading some of the postings in "Warning in Jamaica". I hope that there are people out there who have experienced nice things while in Montego Bay.

AL Jan 14th, 1998 08:44 AM

In response to Denise's note on taking your 8 year old to Jamaica. My wife and I have been to Jamaica 4 times now. We took our kids one year they were 8 and 10 at the time. Stayed at Wyndham Rose Hall. We and the kids loved it. The Jamiacans go out of their way to spoil the kids. As for your concern about Jamaica, don't worry I think those people who run into trouble are just in the wrong places. Take your 8 year old and enjoy I know your child will.

Denise Jan 15th, 1998 06:51 PM

AL:

I want to thank you for your kind message about Montego Bay. Luckily I have travelled the Carribean and Mexico several times to realize that they are a Third World Country and I have an idea of what to expect in general. It's nice to know that you brought your family and enjoyed Jamaica. I am going there also to gather up information for a unit I am doing with my Grade 5 students. I'm sure I will be able to collect enough things to bring back and share with them. Again I want to thank you for your note.