Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE - ARUBA (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/holiday-inn-sunspree-aruba-517479/)

TOBY2003 Mar 31st, 2005 04:10 PM

HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE - ARUBA

My girlfriend and I were thinking spending a romantic 2 week vacation this summer in Aruba at the all inclusive Holiday Inn Sunspree Hotel. Has anyone stayed there recently and if so what are your thoughts? How are the rooms, the food, the service, and the beach? Do you get a good ocean view from the superior rooms with partial ocean view?
Thanks
Toby

cdt Apr 1st, 2005 05:04 AM

We stayed elsewhere but walked past the Holiday Inn. It has a great beach.

I would never do AI in Aruba. There are lots of restaurants in every price range, and it's easy to get around by car, taxi, or local bus. There are several restaurants within walking distance of the Hol. Inn.

I think 2 weeks of eating at the same place would get pretty old.

girlonthego Apr 1st, 2005 08:15 PM

I agree with cdt, never do an all inclusive in Aruba. There are too many great restaurants. Try aruba-bb.com There is a ton of info on aruba and maybe somebody who has stayed there recently. It is a Holiday Inn. We stayed at the Marriott next door and it the Marriott was a lot nicer looking, but the Holiday inn does have a nice beach.

bbelluzzo Apr 13th, 2005 09:31 AM

Toby:

What a wonderful boyfriend you are to go for TWO weeks in Aruba!!! I have been 7-8 times, every time staying in the Holiday Inn Sunspree, and I remember thinking the very first time that "its a Holiday Inn- how great can it really be?" Couldn't have been more wrong.

Although there are more impressive resorts on the island (especially the Hilton- absolutely gorgeous), the HI is really the most beautiful beaches I have seen on Aruba, and the partial view rooms can actually be a pretty good ocean view- if you are high enough (in terms of floors). I would NOT reccommend all inclusive for two weeks- as an earlier poster mentioned- the food would get really, really old. The major positive would be the included drinks, but I'm not sure if that is an issue for you (be sure to try a WHITE Aruba Ariba- similar to a pina colada, but ohhhhh, so much better!)

Aside from my own true love of this island, I have heard from many that Aruba may be one of the best islands for dining (choices and caliber of the restaraunts).

Be sure to rent a Jeep or similar for at least some time on your island, as it is very small (chances of getting really lost are slim :-) and there are so many different sides to the island (cliffs, beaches, mountains, etc.) We've always found the people to be warm, inviting and friendly, and while there I can honestly say we have NEVER felt unsafe.

Have fun- I am sooo jealous!

christiegr Apr 13th, 2005 11:22 AM

If I were you I would spend just 1 week in Aruba and 1 in Curacao or Bonaire.I went to Aruba for a week and believe me..it was enough.

I bet that if you like to snorkel..you would enjoy the other 2 islands that I mentioned better as Aruba is not good for snorkeling..partying all night yeah..Aruba is great.Oh also the restaurants are wonderful in Aruba.

Que'Pasa was the best rest. in Aruba to me.They had great food.It is in Oranjestad.
Also El Gaucho and Rumba were good .Flyin'Fishbone was pricey but worth it..reserve a table that is oceanfront.