Hiking/Biking on St. Kitts

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done the volcano hike on St Kitts? How difficult? How much time should be allowed? Mosquitos or other critters a problem? What attire/shoes are recommended? Is the end of June too hot to attempt this hike? Also would like to bike around the island. Any suggestions on routes? Something moderate but interesting.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:15 AM

The hike in June will be hot, water and good shoes advised. More importantly, it's not a good idea to bike on SK. The roads are narrow, fast local drivers, goats, chickens and dogs in the roads not to mention the potholes and rough roads. The local hospital is not a place you want to be.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:34 AM

I have neither the knees nor the inclination to bike around any island on vacation. However, when on St. Kitts a few months ago I found most of the main tourist roads to be in excellent repair, and in fact wider than most roads on other islands I've driven on. It could be that many islands did road work in the last year in order to be more tourist friendly for the World Cup last month, murffdog, and that they've improved quite a bit since your last visit.
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Very few tourists go biking on St. Kitts but you will see a few and you will see a few locals who are avid bikers. The roads are decent (a little twisty and steep in spots) but locals do drive a bit on the fast side so if you do decide to bike be careful. As for recommended routes, outside of the Basseterre/Mariott/Timothy Beach area there is really only one main island road which circumnavigates the island and there is a single road that leads from the Marriott/Timothy Beach area to tip of the southern penninsula (some very steep hills hear). All other roads branch off of these two roads.

Again, bikers are few and far between so local drivers are not attuned to looking out for them. If you are comfortable with that fact you'll be just fine.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM

I was there 2 weeks ago for 2 days (meetings) and the only improvements in the road that I saw was the by-pass around Basseterre and by the airport. The SP needs a lot of help. I still would not bike on SK.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM

For information on the volcano hike you should contact Greg's Safaris. www.gregssafaris.com

For information on bike rentals contact St. Kitts on Wheels. E-mail address is [email protected]

For more information on St. Kitts visit www.stkitts-tourism.com and www.myislands.myeyez.net

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info. Not sure about the biking. I thought it might be a good way to see the island. I'll let you know...can't wait for the end of June!