Hey Mon Jamaica Dreamin'

Feb 15th, 2002, 07:34 AM
want

Hey Mon Jamaica Dreamin'

Yes I am sitting here in below freezing midwest, looking out at bleak landscape of leafless trees and brown grass and all I can do is dream of being in Jamaica, enjoying the wonderful friendly people, eating some oh so good jerk chicken, sipping a nice cold Red Stripe, and lazing on the Negril beach. OH OH OH how much longer before I can get back to Jamaica, oh Jamaica, I hear you calling to me "come back, come back, relax mon have another hummingbird and be cool"

Oh God I gotta get there before I go nuts.

Feb 15th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Kim

Im leaving for there in 7 days i will have a red stripe for you! ;-)

Feb 15th, 2002, 07:42 AM
xxx

Sounds to me like it's too late. You've already gone nuts!

Feb 15th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Kim

Im also from the cold midwest! 35 minutes out of Chicago.BURRRRRR COLD!!!!!!

Feb 15th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Dreamin - made good choice?

Just booked to Point Village inclusive in Negril for me & my wife.

We have no kids, in good shape, both 33 & seem younger. We've never been to Carribean before unless we count Key West.

It was an impulsive decision to go. Think we made a good choice? Already I find the travel agent didn't tell us quite right - we wanted an place w/o a lot of families w kids, & find Point Village does advertise to families.

But the price was right & Jamaica is calling...

Think we'll enjoy it ?

Feb 15th, 2002, 08:38 AM
zzz

Point Village is not very close to nightlife and stuff, if that's important, thogh you can easily take taxis down to the main beach. It is part timeshare and part hotel, siuated on a point between Long Bay (the 7 mile beach) and Bloody Bay, where most of the big all inclusive resorts are. There are families but also singles and couples.

Since you mention Key West, I'd say Point Village is more like the Quality Inn on the road into town from the other keys, not the little B&Bs off Duval St.

Feb 15th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Dreamin

I'm thankful that you know something about Point Village. I'm hoping that the "all inclusiveness" of the hotel means that we won't feel the need to go elswhere too much - can't afford too much else anyway. It's just for one week too, although if we like it I may be able to extend.

Yeah, I guess a bit more research could have helped. But it's tough at first - most of what I found on the web at first was advertisement & it's harder to get objective info.

I have a few Qs:

Most important: There is a beach right there, isn't there? And all the activities they list, such as snorkeling, windsurfing, kyaking, and food, drinks all included? Is there something I should know to expect?

How hard is it to get around between Bloody Bay & 7-mile beach? Is it easily walkable? Do the big nearby resorts prevent you from walking along the beach? Is there nightlife on the beach? Are we near clothing optional sections? In the summer we often go to (nearby for us) Cape Cod or Marthas Vineyard, where we find a secluded section to go nude. My wife says she'd be nervous taking off her suit with others around, but I don't know if she wouldn't change her mind in Negril.

If your comparison is right, then it's way too far to walk from one of the other Keys to Duval. However, in Key West, we stayed at Eden House, a lovely affordable hotel only a few walkable blocks from Duval. In terms of distance, which comparison is more accurate?

Thanks to whomever replies!

Feb 15th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Dreamin

Also here's a general question: Where would you stay in the Negril area & why?

Feb 15th, 2002, 10:01 AM
abc

"There is a beach right there, isn't there? "

Yes.

"And all the activities they list, such as snorkeling, windsurfing, kyaking, and food, drinks all included? Is there something I should know to expect?"

Can't help you there, I haven't stayed at PV.

"How hard is it to get around between Bloody Bay & 7-mile beach? Is it easily walkable? Do the big nearby resorts prevent you from walking along the beach?"

Not possible to walk along the water from BB to the 7 mi beach because the shore gets rocky for a bit, also the big AI hotels have their beaches fenced off. Once you get onto the 7 mi beach though, you can walk the whole thing, it's all sand and all public, lined with medium and small hotels, restaurants, bars & craft huts.

"Is there nightlife on the beach?"

Yes lots. There are several bars with outdoor stages set up on the beach, they are mostly mid-beach and lower (you are at the far north end) so you will need a taxi. The beach bars are mostly free, and have house bands that play mostly reggae. Alfreds, DeBuss, Risky Business are three I've been to, there are a couple more.

There are some good live music places on the cliffs also, the Negril Yacht Club, Mariners Inn's sunset show, Kaisers has big acts sometimes.

We've stayed on the beach a few times, about mid-beach, and on the cliffs a few times. The cliffs are quieter and more private, the cliff hotels tend to be quite small boutique-type hotels, sometimes with cottages perched on the cliff edge, fewer tourists. Good snorkeling off the cliffs.

The beach is busier, more people trying to sell stuff, very white sand and clear calm water, to snorkel you have to go out on a boat (but at PV you may be able to snorkel right offshore). The beach has more "action" in terms of tourst bars and party places.

The big resorts are mostly on Bloody Bay or at the top of the 7 mile beach, at PV I believe you have them on both sides.

Feb 15th, 2002, 12:22 PM
xxx

On Bloody Bay, the Grand Lido will not let you walk its beach. You can walk along the beach in front of Couples and the Riu--although each resort does have security posted where its property begins. There are nude sections of beach on BB at the Grand Lido and Couples. Have a great time and make the most of it.

Feb 15th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Dreamin

Great advice - I know a bit better what to expect. About how much is a taxi to the main drag?

How about transportation to & from Montego Bay. That was part of why I wanted an AI.

From what I've seen in web surfing, it does look as if Pt Village is the lowest cost AI & still pretty decent. Plus from what I can tell, we get both Bloody Bay & Seven Mile - not too bad.

We'll be sure to head out to the cliffs at least once to look around.

And we will certainly make the most of it - that is why I'm finding out what I can now.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Feb 15th, 2002, 04:29 PM
abc

Taxis from Point Village itself, meaning the ones the hotel will wnat you to take, will probably be expensive. However, if you walk out of PV and onto the road, there will be regular taxis (look for red license plates) that will take you to mid beach for about $2 per person (US - in JA$ about $90). You will probably have to bargain to get that fare but it's definitely doable. Figure more like $4 each for the cliffs (JA$200). The thing about taxis in Negril is always negotiate the price BEFORE you get in, and have exact change. Tipping on top of what you negotiate is great if you like the driver. JA$ or US$ seems to be equally welcome by taxis.

Taxis generally charge a little more at night than they do during the day.

From MoBay airport to Negril is $20 each in the tourist bus (Tropical Tours or JUTA) and maybe $50-60 for a private taxi, depending on the # of people, the type of taxi/van, and again, your negotiating skills.

Feb 17th, 2002, 01:48 PM
mark1off

im makeing my first trip to jamaica montego bay i am a smoker of ganga does anyone know how i go about finding it and what the cost are and is there really any thing i should ask for in quality my dream is to experiance the best jamaica has to offer 4204ever

Feb 18th, 2002, 10:42 AM
ANDREW

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF OR BEEN TO THE SAMSARA? I'M STAYING THERE IN APRIL AND WOULD APPRECIATE COMMENTS.
PEACE-
DREW

Feb 18th, 2002, 01:14 PM
ohplease

Want,

You apparently can't afford the adult only properties. And yet you attack your travel agent. Is it her fault your too broke to get what you really want. She did sell you an excellent property. And in an excellent area. And most non-motorized watersports are included in the AI hotels.

For Ganga----Last time I was there all you had to do was walk thru the market in MBJ. They were standing on street corners with full bags held high over their heads like street hawkers. If your not already, you should be fairly brain dead b/f you leave there.

Apr 5th, 2002, 01:46 AM
mellow

Hey Mark....
Be ready to smoke the best weed on planet earth. Its illegal but bountiful. Its everywhere...the guys at the airport have it, the bus driver has it, the gardener will have it. You can get one HUGE fat joint for 3-4 dollars. Believe me, all you need is one hit! That one J lasted me 3 days!!
Some of them will ask for 15-20 dollars,you can talk them down to 3-4 dollars. Be ready for the time of your life !

Apr 5th, 2002, 03:41 AM
tivertonhouse

Learn the local language/lingo before you go. 'Ganga' is a type of shrimp.
'Ganja' is your goal. Go to www.jamaicans.com for some quick lessons/audio in Jamaican patois. You'll also find a dictionary, glossary,phrases,history --a great primer on patois. Learn a little and you may find the prices paid by the poster above waived totally fi yuh..You may even get 'braata' -- patois for 'a little extra',like our concept of a baker's dozen... lol

Apr 5th, 2002, 10:57 AM
carolyn

Dreamin,

We stayed at Point Village in November; you don't mention when you are going, so I hope this reachs you before you depart.

To answer some of your questions:

The resort is beachfront. Get your towels early and through them on a chair to reserve them; the number of beach chairs do not equal the number of guests.

If you got the all inclusive package, all the activities and drinks and food are included. There was a nice grotto for snorkeling. They did have a snorkeling boat, but it was broken during the storm, and I'd almost bet money it's not fixed yet. Expect things to be really, really laid back.

The entertainment committee tries very hard, but it's cheesy at best. They put on a show late into the dinner hour. Food is bland, but edible. They have a disco which may get hopping late into the evening, very tiny.

There is one clothing optional section of the beach, right next to Hedonism. There were a good number of people there, but no kids allowed! You can get passes to Hedonism if you're looking for a wild night life.

Remember, Point Village is only a 3 star resort. It's clean, quiet in the evening, and you'll learn how laid back Jamaicans can be. The staff was very friendly.

There are travel agents on site during the day to help you book taxis or tours.

Apr 5th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Kim & Joe

We love Jamaica and are always dreaming of our next stay! We just returned from Sandals MB and cant wait to go back.

Search this Thread