Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help with selecting a Caribbean Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-with-selecting-a-caribbean-island-48528/)

gina Jul 13th, 1999 03:17 PM

Help with selecting a Caribbean Island

Help! My husband and I are planning a trip to the Caribbean (with our 3 year old). We would appreciate any insight/feedback regarding Islands and hotels. We are looking for beautiful beaches, rest, relaxation, and good food. I realize this is a tall order. To provide insight...we loved Maui, Kuai, dislike Cancun - too big and overdeveloped. On Maui and Kaui we stayed at smaller hotels (200 rooms versus 700 rooms at Hyatt). Any suggestions. We are not interested in family clubs. Thanks.

Decent Tropical Jul 14th, 1999 05:02 AM

Get info. about different islands and compare them. Go to these url's for: <BR> <BR>www.where2stay.com <BR> <BR>www.frommers.com <BR> <BR>www.travelthe.net (has many links) <BR> <BR>www.lonelyplanet.com <BR> <BR>www.delphis.dm/home.htm <BR> <BR>Based on my reading it would seem as if there are quite a few islands (or at least parts of islands) which meet your basic requirements. <BR> <BR>The first one I thought of based on what you wrote is Anguilla. <BR> <BR>Let us know what you decide and then how it went.

Christie Jul 14th, 1999 07:41 AM

You might like Sandals resorts. They are couples-only, and from what I have heard, most have good restaurants and entertainment. They are a bit on the pricey side, but the rooms are quite nice and the all-inclusive package includes scuba diving. Website: www.sandals.com <BR> <BR>We visited Antigua last summer and had a wonderful time. The beaches were perfect, and the food we ate was quite good. <BR>Good luck, and have fun!

Diane Jul 14th, 1999 01:12 PM

If you are taking a 3 year old you should consider a place that caters to families -- couples at adult-oriented places will not be charmed by your toddler! They've paid a great deal of money to go somewhere romantic. They will be uncomfortable, you will be uncomfortable, no one will be happy. Why do you exclude "family clubs?" Some even have wonderful nannies available so you can actually eat a romantic dinner out at least once on your vacation. You will also feel better at a beach with gentle waves rather than heavy surf. FDR and Breezes in Jamaica, I believe, and I'd expect you'd find something in the Bahamas (away from Paradise Island, which I wouldn't classify as laid back, myself). The recommendation for Anguilla may be a good one or the Cayman's -- rent a condo so you can have some privacy and feel more like you are living there rather than vacationing at a "resort" with all the trimmings. That usually works well with small children as they feel more at home, too. Mine are now 18 and 21. I had lots of experience. Our best vacations were when we rented cottages at the beach and kept it real simple.

tru Jul 26th, 1999 01:55 PM

St. Thomas or St. John are good islands to visit with children. Most hotels have kids clubs and are very kid friendly (Renaissance Grand Beach, Wyndham Sugar Bay, Sapphire Beach Resort, Frenchman's Reef, Ritz Carlton, among others). If you stay on one island, the other is a short ferry trip away -- fun for a 3-year old -- and a nice day visit. The restaurants are good on both islands and casual enough that a 3-year old would be quite comfortable. Coral World is a delight for families.