Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help with plans - Sandy Beach, hammock, nice pool (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-with-plans-sandy-beach-hammock-nice-pool-258370/)

jean Sep 16th, 2002 09:21 AM

Help with plans - Sandy Beach, hammock, nice pool

Please help me plan - never been anywhere in Caaribbean except Bahamas. The more I read, the more confused I become - had thought about Jamacia, but hear the crime is so bad there. I'm looking for white sandy beaches, hammocks, nice pool. Wanting to go sometime in Nov. or Dec - any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nancy Sep 16th, 2002 09:33 AM

Jean, <BR>Late Nov. and Dec. are high season, so you will need to budget about 30% more for the same accommodations.<BR>For great beaches, Anguilla, Turks and Caicos, Playa del Carmen in Mexico, BVI's.<BR>If you let us know what else you might like to do - shopping, night life, snorkeling or diving, etc. - we can help you narrow your search.

Hi Sep 16th, 2002 09:39 AM

I recommended Grand Cayman to my sister in law since I knew that she is somewhat of an intimidated traveler. Very clean, not so much hassle from beach vendors and a little less third world that some Carib island. Pricy though in comparison to some.

Penney Sep 16th, 2002 09:46 AM

I would not rule out Jamaica. While it is true that Jamaica is having some difficult times, that is all in Kingstoon, far from resort area's. We have been to JAmaica 6 times and never encountered a problem. There is alot of pushy vendors off the resorts, but on the resorts, you are perfectly safe. Alot of people do rule out Jamaica and I can understand their concerns but I would look further into the island, specifically Negril. Negril has someof the best beaches in the Caribbean - lond white stripes of sand and very calm and clear waters - very beautiful, laid back and relaxing.<BR><BR>I also agree with the poster on Turks and Caicos. It is a beautiful island - most beautiful beaches we have ever seen. It is opposite of Jamaica in the regard that there is reallynothing on the island - really a desert of sorts. Miles of empty beaches and just incredible. Some great places to stay as well.

Cathy Sep 16th, 2002 04:25 PM

Jean, what else are you looking for? Do you snorkel? Do you want lots of activities or just to relax? Where in the Bahamas did you go?<BR><BR>The reason I am asking these questions is that I could recommend a place with nice beaches, but you may be bored because there if nothing else to do. There are actually many islands in the Bahamas that have what you are looking for, but not much else. I have been to Anguilla and it has fantastic beaches ( don't remember a hammock) but it is a scrubby little dessert island with not much else to do. It gets very expensive to go back and forth to St. Martin for activities.<BR><BR>Grand Caymen would be a great place to go but it can be expensive. Aruba is great as well. Turks and Caicos. All three can be expensive. Is money an object?<BR><BR>Post a reply and I will be happy to give you more info.

Keely Sep 16th, 2002 07:39 PM

I agree with Penney about Negril - we stayed at Swept Away twice and really liked it. They have an Olympic-size pool, a dreamy beach, and even a hammock. If you want more info about it, you can email me privately: [email protected].

Jean Sep 19th, 2002 05:11 AM

Thanks for the input. We have traveled quite a bit, so not intimidated by the street vendors, etc, just haven't been in this area. We were on the Grand Bahama Isl. but that was 30 years ago. This is more of a R&R trip, as both my and my husband have nad some major surgeries this year. While I want it laid back for him, I enjoy shopping and seeing the area I am in, that's why I was worried about Jamacia. I don't think I would be totally happy just staying put in one place and not going off a certain resort "all inclusive" sort of place. I don't think snorkeling or major activities will be in this trip - mostly resting, swimming, shopping and sightseeing. Thanks for all your help.