Help with Morritt's Grand or N. Shore

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Help with Morritt's Grand or N. Shore

Hi, we are going to Grand Cayman for the first time in June. We are experienced Caribbean travelers. We are going with our sons, ages 2 and 7.

I've looked at Morritt's Grand, where I can get a 2 bedroom oceanfront for about 25% less than on 7mb. We're really not concerned about being away from town, but wanted information about the beach and pool areas. We're also looking at some condos on the N. Shore and was curious what the beach was like up there for kids.

Thanks so much.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Cayman is renowned for Seven Mile Beach, as you can walk for miles and also enter the water which is (in almost all places) sandy bottom.

On the North Coast the beaches are not as long as 7MB (naturally , but there are lots of small beaches to explore. The main issue for young children is the ease of entry to the water from the beach for paddling and swimming.

In this area, I would say that Colliers Bay (home of both The Reef and Morritts) is the best beach in the area.

Both Morritts and The Reef both have excellent pools and would make a good choice.

Also note that if you are cost conscious, a One Bedroom Oceanfront unit might also be a good option for you.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:53 PM

Don't stay there. If you pre booked get out of it quickly. We were there for about 2 days and viewed condo after condo only to find the mold and stink was horid. Finally after much debate they let us go. Thank goodness. We ended up on 7mile beach at the Villa's of the Galleon. I mean spend the extra u'll be much happier. The beach was awful at Morritts tiny small with tons of rocks. Not a great experience at all. After they tried to fumigate the room we had to sleep with tons of fumes and it still smelled bad. There was mold on ceiling in kitchen and all over the bathroom floor. Please unless they have renovated again don't do it. They told us we were looking at reno'd rooms. What a joke...
Luisa
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:12 PM
anonxx

Please clarify, which condo/resort were you at when you had the bad experience with mold, etc.? Mahogany Point? I know parts of Morritts' beach is rocky, but we found the beach at The Reef to be wonderful, with the same soft sand that was at 7MB. We have stayed several times on 7MB and twice at The Reef, so I am confused by your experience.

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 10:19 PM

It was Morritts the RCI condo. I think it's tortuga or something. It was moldy and stinky. Where were you? The beach was tiny and rocky and not pleasant for wading...my two cents
Luisa
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:15 AM
anonxx

On 7MB we stayed at the London House (condo's on North end with some of the best beach on 7MB). We have also stayed at the Grand Caymanian (nice but no beach!), and the Reef Resort on the east end. The Reef is a newer smaller resort next to Morritts. I think the original poster was asking about the Morritt's Grand (the new buildings), not the Morritt's Tortuga (the older original resort). I agree with you about what I observed about Morritt's Tortuga, but I think the Grand condos would be nice since they are brand new. The Reef Resort condos are great, beautiful, clean and all have wonderful views.

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:24 AM

Let me clarify: she was not talking about our villa! Mahogany Point does NOT have mold or any odors! I was just there and we take great care in our villa! In fact we just renovated with new paint, wall art, mirrors, rugs, etc. You can email me for the website if you wish since I'm not allowed to post it here. ([email protected])