Help With Family Vacation Plans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am fairly new to traveling to the Caribbean with kids in tow. As we are skipping the annual Caribbean trip this year, we'll be ready for two weeks next May/June. I am looking for a place that will accommate a family of 6. In 3.5 years I went from being a single guy to being married with a 10 year old step daughter, a father of a 2.5 year old boy and twin girls expected next month. The landscape has changed fairly rapidly!

I'd like to keep the lodging under 5K for the two weeks. We'd like to be on a beach. A villa would be preferable, but no staff is needed. We would like a place that is nice to hang out in or around as when the infants are taking their naps, my wife and I can relax by a pool or on a patio listening to reggae with some adult refreshments. Three Bedrooms are required with a full kitchen. I found one place on Grand Cayman in the Spanish Bay area that looks to be a possibility. I have not found any reviews, however, and am not very familiar with the area.

We are experienced Caribbean travelers and don't desire resort amenities and condo lodging ins't appealing. I am keeping all options open at this point. Traveling from Seattle is logistically challenging, especially throwing in the toddler and infants. So I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. We'd like to try something other than Jamaica this time with Turks & Caicos and the lower Bahamian Out Islands a possibility, as well. All are areas that I have read and researched, but never have traveled to. Any suggestions would be appreciated very kindly. Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Try Aquamarine Beach Houses (www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com)
It's right on Grace Bay and they have a pool and tennis court. Very low key, super nice owners.

We stayed there last year and booked to go back this year.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM
owa

mymoosie, Where are these beach houses from Coral Gardens? I was going to comment to CS because I think we walked past them. Facing the ocean, are they to the right of Coral Gardens? Thanks, Owa

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM

owa, facing the ocean they are to the left of Coral Gardens going towards Turtle Cove area. Here's a couple of photos to give you an idea. CS - I have more photos if you are interested.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kajugo/...aquamarine.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/kajugo/...ralgardens.jpg
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM
owa

So mymoosie, they are on a very quiet section of the beach? When I read the reviews about great snorkeling, were they talking about the area in front of Coral Gardens? In my opinion CS, that would be a good location, and Grace Beach beauty compares to the Indian Ocean beaches. Owa

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM

There is actually a small reef just a few yards right in front of the houses. It's definitely on a very quiet part of Grace Bay. Easy walking distance to Coral Gardens on the beach.

I have a website with more photos of the property & the reef in front.
www.mymoosie.net
Click on Enter the paradise of Turks & Caicos

And just as a side, I don't own the property nor do I have any financial interest in it. Though I wish we did! LOL. We love the location.

CS - This may fit what you are looking for based on what you have described. Happy planning!
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

mymoosie & owa: Thank you, both, very much. That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I had actually stumbled across their website before....but had since forgotten about it. It is always nice to hear about a first hand review of the place. Which house do you feel would most suit our needs? We like our privacy, however we have our own crew and don't want to inconvenience anyone else. I am thinking the beach level unit in Sanddune might fit the bill.

Airfare doesn't seem to be that much more than Cayman. T&C seem to appeal to me much more, anyway. So this is great info! Thanks again. I'd love to see some more photos, mymoosie, and will access your website.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Actually...after viewing you photos...I think the upper would be better. I'd go nuts on the ground level. I need to have that view! I think we could make that work for us. Do they have access to cribs? We'll need a couple.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM

I remember seeing some baby stuff in the other rooms, but since I don't have any kids I didn't pay attention to them much. =) Give Paula a call or drop her a line and she'll be able to tell you what they have. They live onsite on the property which is very helpful with whatever you need.

The Sanddune balcony unit has a wonderful view for sure. The downstairs and upstairs are exactly the same layout - 4 bedrooms/2 baths.

On tripadvisor T&C forum there was someone who got back a couple of weeks ago who stayed at the Sunrise beach level. They were happy with that too even though it was set farther back from the beach. The nice thing about the beach level units is you get shade and can sit out on your patio without frying.

Btw, congrats on your soon-to-be additions to the family!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was in contact with Paula today and she was a big help in providing me information. I think we are a step closer to solidifying our travel plans. I really appreciate your feedback and I have been reading your posts, and others, on TripAdvisor. It is kind of funny seeing regular posters on this board with the same screen name on that board. Unfortunately, mine was taken. Maybe I could buy it? I'll let you know what we decide to do.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:26 AM
owa

Good Morning CS, Just wanted to say T&C is a return island for us in the future. After my husband retires (I hope many years from now) we'd like to go back for an extended stay. The water and beach is truly beautiful. We didn't rent a car last time which was a mistake. Try finding HowardC's trip reports from past years. He has been there many times. Also, I didn't think the groceries were higher than any other island. Good luck in your planning. Owa