Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help with decision!!! Dominican Republic, Aruba, Grand Cayman

Oct 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

I have been searching for an affordable vacation destination for myself (50) and my 4 children all in their 20's for July 2013. So far, I have found the best affordability in Punta Cana DR, Aruba and Grand Cayman. I would appreciate any feedback and advice you can provide. Thank you!!!
Oct 4th, 2012, 07:46 AM

I would personally choose Aruba. Are you looking at AI? If so I would not do that in Aruba for there way to many restaurants to visit. Punta Cana is ok but you are probably looking at an AI I would think? There is not much else to do and you will be confined to the resort. At least that is how it was many years ago when I was there. The food becomes boring after 7 days. Grand Cayman I was there for just day trips so I can's say much about that. I know Aruba is more americanized as some people put it, there are dunkin doughtnuts coffee starbucks etc. but I love it there. I have met very few people who did like Aruba and that would be my choice. It also depends on your families other interests but I am sure you will be able to find something to do for everyone in Aruba. snorkelling jeep tours, horsebackriding sunset cruises etc. to name a few.
Oct 4th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Grand Cayman is generally more expensive than the others on your list. If you are getting good deals on the hotel then go I would pick it in a hearbeat over the other choices. The restaurants can be somewhat exp.
Oct 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM
KVR

It depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. All the destinations are really different from each other.

The DR is full of mega AI resorts. If you are looking for a vacation in which everything is included and you don't really need to leave your resort except for guided tours then this destination would fit.

Grand Cayman is known for it's snorkeling and Sting Ray City excursion. 7 Mile Beach is gorgeous. There are several things to see and do around the Island. Do an Island tour, turtle farm, botanical gardens, rum point, hell, the blow holes, semi submarine. Georgetown has some good shopping and places to eat. I would avoid the ares when cruise ships come in. Food and drink can be rather expensive compared to other Islands.

I love Aruba. Most people don't because they think it is too "Americanized". There are tons of restaurants and bars to choose from in all price ranges. Also decent shopping and enteratainment. The Palm Beach area is lined beachside with hotels and then across the street are restaurants, bars, shopping and entertainment. The Eagle beach area is quiter with low rise hotels and bigger sections of beach. The public bus transporation is good.

Unless ya'll are really into snorkeling or diving, with 20+ year olds I think Aruba would have something for everyone.
Oct 4th, 2012, 08:12 AM

I agree with KVR that Aruba will "have something for everyone." It's not my favorite island because it does feel really Americanized. But at that time of year, it will give you the best shot at gorgeous weather ( some of the islands can be rainy in the summer) and is probably the most affordable.
Nov 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM

I have visited all three of those islands, and Aruba is by far the best. Best weather, activities, night life ect.
Nov 5th, 2012, 06:11 PM

There are many condo options on Grand cayman. During the off season you will find that renting a condo on Seven Mile Beach is very affordable. If you have an idea whre you want to stay on the island, VRBO would be a good place to look for condos.