Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   HELP!!!! Will our wedding and honeymoon be RAINED OUT?!? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-will-our-wedding-and-honeymoon-be-rained-out-95771/)

Jack and Elaine Dec 6th, 2000 05:50 AM

HELP!!!! Will our wedding and honeymoon be RAINED OUT?!?

HELP!!! With many of your advice, we planned a very romantic elopement and week-long honeymoon at the Malliouhana in Anguilla, leaving this Sunday December 10. However, a check of the weather.com forecast just indicated SCATTERED SHOWERS ALL WEEK!! Our wedding will be on the beach at sunset! <BR> <BR>ANY SUGGESTIONS AT ALL? It's too late to cancel or change the date without a severe penalty. Does anyone know of a more accurate weather forecast of the Anguilla area? What activities are there if it does rain all week? Is our dream of relaxing on a sunny beach dashed? Oh, and finally, will mosquitos be a problem?

Teresa Dec 6th, 2000 06:03 AM

I don't know about Anguilla but we just returned from Negril, where "scattered showers" were predicted every single day. What we saw were mostly sunny skies with an occasional tropical shower here and there. Very short-lived and it usually was nice by sunset. Don't worry, enjoy and congratulations!

BillK Dec 6th, 2000 08:44 AM

Six months of heavy downpours, but only on the beach. So stand in the water and you'll be fine. The penalty is 1,000,000 anquillan dollars (they give a lousy exchange rate so start collecting as much change as you can). If you have to ask me what to do on your honeymoon I wouldn't worry about your honeymoon - the marriage won't last ten days. The mosquitos might be biting but I'm not.

chas Dec 6th, 2000 08:47 AM

Jack and Elaine: <BR> <BR>First, congratulations. Second, a forecast of scattered showers does mean just that. We were in St Martin (a stone's throw from Anguilla) in the beginning of November. While it forecasted showers for 12 of the 14 days, We had at most 4 to 5 hours of rain. Only one day was partially washed out. They usually are quick hitting showers that pass right through although some can be extremely heavy. <BR> <BR>If you get some of the milder ones, simply go in the water until it passes. It's a great feeling!

John Dec 6th, 2000 09:59 AM

DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY and don't look at weather forcasts. The storm season is past so if you do have rain it will be the short 5-10 min shower kind. <BR>I'm sure the folks at Malliouhana have contingencies.

penny Dec 6th, 2000 02:12 PM

Relax!!!We went from 11/12 to 19, the weather forecast showed showers, partly cloudy, scattered showers and the hurricane season was not quite over. We had glorious weather mostly sunny, one day a 2 minute shower then immediate sun. It only rained at night while we slept once or twice. Remember Anguilla is an arid island, the people who live there have to water ration. The clouds all seem to move towards mountainous ST. Martin. We were just discussing that fact with a cab driver on the island .Malliouhana at sunset is perfect-Meads bay is like a post card. <BR>The hotel knows how to treat you special . You could not have selected a more perfect island. Enjoy!!You will have a wonderful time!

Jack and Elaine Dec 6th, 2000 07:07 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. We feel much better! Will let you know how it goes....

Louis Dec 7th, 2000 06:10 PM

To be married in the rain, what luck that would be. Take an umbella and you will remember it the rest of your life. No, rain is not steady at this time of the year.