Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

help, wallet size birth certificate ok for Jamaica

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:58 PM
lynn

Hi, going to Negril,Jamaica and was told by a girl at work I need a paper birth certificate. Will the small wallet size birth certificate with raised seal be ok? we are from the US. Also, any must see's in Negril, Thanks, Lynn

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 06:12 PM
pc

My husband and I were in Negril last October and YES we needed our paper gift certificate. It took 15 minutes at the local office to obtain. Negril offered great snorkling trips, we enjoyed those the most. Have fun and dont forget the Tums you'll need if you enjoy some jamaican jerk!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:11 AM
jessica

Yes, you will definitely need the original or a certified copy of your birth certicate. A wallet size will not do. Don't know where the previous poster is from that she got one from her "local office in 15 min." but the procees changes drastically from state to state. Some states don't issue birth certificates, the city whrere you wre born issues it, in others the county where you wre born issues it. In these case you must get it from that city or county even if you live in the same state but a different city you can't go to the "local office" to get it. Most people live in a different state than they were born so this is really not an option. I was born in Kentucky (whre the state issues certificate but you can still only get it from the main state office and must write off for it and it takes about a month to receive) but I currently livein Illinois where the rules are completely different. Check this out with the state where you were born as soon as possible!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:44 AM
topper

Topping!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Roxanne

Hi,
My husband and I went to Ocho Rios last April and I only had a wallet size birth certificate and Drivers license. No problems at all! We even got married there.
Good luck!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 10:10 AM
anon

Yes you can get a birth certificate in 5 minutes from the town where you were born. I live 20 minutes away after many years, it is very easy. Anyhow a birth certificate with a raised seal, not photocopy is OK.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 08:30 AM
tracy

I've used a wallet sized BC with the seal on it 10 times going to jamaica. Also had to use drivers license.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Maggie

I agree with the above, but a passport would be a lot easier. Going through the Customs would be a breeze. If you plan to travel to the Caribbean Islands a lot, you may as well get a passport. It is good for 10 years. I am on my second passport now.