Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help! Rented Gibney Beach House in May & Can't Go-Anyone interested??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I booked Gibney Beach House from May 19 thru May 28. To be blunt, he has asked for a Divorce and there is no way I can go without him as I think I'd be a mess the whole time. Please, please if anyone is interested staying at the beach house during this time please contact me!

Email both addresses: [email protected]
and [email protected]

or call my cell (773) 910-2700

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:16 AM

I can't rent your cottage. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what has happened to you and I think you should strongly consider going ahead and take the trip just to get away from it all and enjoy some beautiful scenery. But I realize at NO POINT did you ask for advice on this topic! In all seriousness, best of luck to you.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM

crowisland, I am so sorry for your circumstances. Did you rent the villa thru Destination St. John? They have a 60 day cancellation policy (less 15% fee), which means you can still cancel...
http://www.destinationstjohn.com/gibney_garden.htm

Is it the beach cottage or garden cottage?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. We rented the beach cottage through Destination ST John and that polcy is true except for the Gibney cottages.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Oh. That stinks. Right on the listing page it says 60 days, it's only on the full index that it says "no refunds". Seems misleading to put that on the specific villa page. Have you tried making this point yet?

So many Fodorites rent villas on St. John. Keep topping this, perhaps you will get somebody! Looks like a great villa. Best wishes.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:17 AM

crowisland2: I am so sorry for your troubles. I am sure everyone on this forum will keep you in mind and will try to help you find a substitute renter. I would also suggest that you stay in close contact with Destinations St. John as they may be able to help re-rent the place. I've dealt with them before and they seem like nice folks. In the meanwhile, as Joan says, keeping topping this. I would also consider what Kath said about going anyways. Nothing like a trip to recharge and get a new perspective on things. Kenny Chesney seems to love licking his wounds there. In my very humble and unsolicited opinion, the Gibney cottage is possibly one of the most healing places in the world. You-go-girl! Best wishes.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM

sheesh! I wish I could help you out with your villa rental, but all I can do is hope the best for you and wish you strength. Do you have a good girlfriend/sibling/other family member who could go with you so you wouldn't have to be alone?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Thanks again for all of your support! Unfortunately I am relocating needing to find a new job and a new home. I cannot afford a vacation but will hopefully find some peace back in my family's hometown. Please contact me if anyone out there is interested.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I feel terrible for you. I wish you the best of luck in this unfortunate situation that you're dealing with.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I'm so sorry. Wish I could help but I already have a trip planned for April.

Have you considered auctioning the trip off on ebay? At least you could re-coup some of your costs.

Also, maybe if you explained the situation to the person you rented it from they have a heart and refund your money...

Best of luck...
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Sorry about your troubles.I have already booked a trip in May to Grand Cayman.

I have been to St. John and love it there.As a matter of fact...I was looking at Gibney Beach cottages for a possible trip when we chose Grand Cayman.

If you end up going anyways..please let us know how it went.

Good luck with everything.

Christie
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Wish I could help you out! We're already travelling in April, so can't manage another trip. I hope you find someone to take the place--it looks wonderful! Maybe someone could list it for you through one of those vacation rentals sites?

I did want to add a thought, as several people seemed to recommend that you go ahead and go on the trip--as someone who went through a somewhat similar experience, I'd advise against it. In my situation, my now-ex and I were supposed to go to an out-of-town wedding when he announced he was leaving me. I ended up going by myself anyway--what was I thinking!!?? I spent the whole time in tears. Once things had settled down a bit, I took a great weekend trip with a girlfriend and drowned my sorrows. But I think it might be tough, even with a girlfriend or family, to go to a place you thought you were going to enjoy with your husband. Just my two cents...

Best wishes!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:38 PM

hi crowisland2,

i am so sorry for your situation. i agree with keeping in close contact with destination st john to see if they can rent it. stay strong.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM

I'm so sorry crowisland2...I wish you all the best with your new life. Also topping this for you.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:43 AM
iw

crowisland2, I am trying to keep this post at the top of the list. I am soooo sorry about your news. As others have said, I also have a trip booked for June and can't go. I do think the e-bay suggestion is a great one. Best wishes for you!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:43 AM

topping...
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Just an idea---can you sell it on ebay?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:40 AM

ttt
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Penny. I suggested ebay too...I think that is a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -