Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help Please: Overwhelmed by the Islands! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-please-overwhelmed-by-the-islands-975690/)

thisissofun Apr 24th, 2013 12:02 PM

Help Please: Overwhelmed by the Islands!

Hi guys,
I've been following this forum for a while and trying to take in as much information as possible(on top of other places), but I feel like I need more help deciding which island to go because it is so overwhelming!
My girlfriend and I (In early twenties) are planning on going to an island in early June for 10-15 days.
While I care about my interests, I would actually care more about what her interests are:
Our budget is probably around $2000-3000 (not including airfare).
She would prefer beautiful water/beaches with medium-low tourist congestion/feel, loads of things to do (Hiking/snorkeling, taking day trips to other islands or places,diving), not alot but some night life with young people.
Some places in the running are: Antigua, St. Martin, UVI, St. Lucia, Turks & Caicos, Grana, Barbados, Bahamas, St. Kitts & Nevis
This does not mean that others out of the picture, just that I don't know enough about the other islands.

Thanks so much guys!!

blamona Apr 24th, 2013 02:00 PM

If your budget is for 10-15 days, you may have to only consider Mexico and Dominican Republic.

Your choices are about $3000 a week. Also keep in mind, the less congestion the higher the cost (usually).

Now there are a couple of Out Islands, or Salt Cay in TCI that would fit that budget. But these places are off the beaten path, rustic, and very low congestion! (although they are filled with charm and quirky and have stunning beaches)

thisissofun Apr 24th, 2013 03:36 PM

Hmm I See, what if the budget was $2000-3000 (excluding flights and hotels). Would that be possible for 10-15 days?

DAVENPORT1 Apr 24th, 2013 03:43 PM

Consider the Marriott Resort in St. Kitts. Beaches on the island are decent and the island offers zip lining and hiking as well as numerous water sports. Mr. X's Shiggity Shack is within walking distance of the resort and attracts young and old and locals for a real feel caribbean hangout on Frigate Bay Beach.

You can also take a catamaran trip to the island of Nevis and hang out at Sunshines beach bar of Pinney's beach. Reggae, Killer Bees ( mysterious rum drink that rocks) and enjoy a fun filled day with music and cocktails onboard the catamaran.

There are also fabulous hiking trails on the island of Nevis including a guided hike to the peak of Mt. Nevis.

The prices at the Marriott fit your budget requirements.

Sassafrass Apr 24th, 2013 07:00 PM

There was a recent sale at the Marriot (St Kitts) of rooms for about $120 a night, plus the 20% tax. I will see if I can find the add. Everything ads up fast: food, car rental and activities. Do take it all into consideration. I go to St Kitts because of family, but it is expensive. Don't know about costs on other islands.
By the way, you are a real jewel to say her interests are more important than yours! I guarantee with that attitude, your interests will be met.

txgirlinbda Apr 25th, 2013 01:14 AM

I think the first thing to do is pin something down, to give you a starting point. It sounds like your budget would be a good place to start. Decide what your limit is, and work from there.
Then, look at where you can get to from where you are. You don't say where you're leaving from, but some islands are easier to travel to - does that matter to you? Or are you okay with the possibility of losing a full day of your vacation each way, because of flight connections?
Subtract the airfare from your total budget, then remember that you'll need to pay for meals, transportation, drinks, and activities. We wind up spending (roughly) the same amount/day on those things as we do on our room. That will give you a starting point for pricing your accomodations. Hope that helps a little!

TPAYT Apr 25th, 2013 06:26 AM

How about a place on St. John, USVI?
Check out
vrbo.com

Here's just the studios or you can go bigger. Rent a jeep and you'll have all the beaches, snorkeling, hiking, exploring you can imagine.
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...ate=2013-07-14

steviegene Apr 27th, 2013 03:41 PM

I second St John. Its off the beaten path, lots to do, safe, snorkeling, hiking, nice restaurants.
You should get good deals on accomodation in June.
If you get bored you can always spend a few days on St Thomas, or daytrip over to Virgin Gorda, Tortola or Jost Van Dyke.