Help Picking Destination for 20th Anniversary for Me & Wife

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others in this forum, I am looking for help deciding where my wife and I should book for our 20th anniversary this coming March 2014.

We are 42 and 41. I will be using frequent flier miles so I will not need to include airfare in the trip. We don't wont a long airline trip so that is why we are limiting our trip to the Carribean. We are looking to depart on a Saturday and stay through the following Friday - so about 6 nights. We really don't have a budget but would like to not spend more than $2750. That should include the room, meals, and drinks. We like the idea of all inclusive because we don't like always having to see how much we are spending.

We have looked at the Dominican Republic but don't like the idea of being stuck in the resort and not having many places outside of the resort to visit. We've also considered the Virgin Islands. We have been to Cozumel and Playa de Carmen when we went on a cruise for our 10th anniversary. We liked a small beach area called Mr. Snachez south of the port in Cosumel. My wife has been to Jamaica but hasn't shown much interest in going back.

We enjoy all kinds of outdoor activities such as the beach, watersports, snorkeling, etc. We live on a lake so we are big water lovers. We would like to learn to sail but that is not a requirement. We are going for our anniversary so we are looking for laying around, drinking, dancing occasionally, some light signt seeing and the water activities I described.

My wife is very outgoing and loves to talk to folks - has never met a stranger. I'm more reserved and like to keep to myself. We like to do things outside and even though it is our anniversary would like outings such as snorkeling, seeing dolphins, horseback riding, atv's, touring, etc.

We aren't looking for a fancy place and like open air ---kind of like those places you see in Fiji. We are looking for a place that has several restaurants, good drinks, and decent evening activities. We aren't wanting to party to the midnight hours but like a good atmosphere. We don't want a small place with just a few people. We would like a decent resort with an oceanfront room with patio close to the beach.

Thank you so much for your help and advice

Jeff
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 03:21 PM

March is peak season, so most expensive time of year. Make sure you can cash in frequent points first, as that might limit your choices. (spring breaks run all of March thru end of April between US and Canada)

After that, keep in mind AIs aren't on every island. The places most common are DR, Mexico, followed smaller extent Jamaica. There's a sprinkle of random ones on other islands but won't be in your budget.

Fiji is much cheaper, as is Bali, but you'll loose 3 days in travel back and forth.

So, you might want to look at Playa Del Carmen area of Mexico.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 03:47 PM

I'm sure you know that the majority of All Inclusives will be found in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel and those destinations are also known for having the most "budget friendly" All inclusive Resorts. You've seem to already rule out those destinations so you are significantly limiting your choices.

Antigua has a few All Inclusive Resorts that are probably in your price range so you might want to start your search there. Look at CocoBay, Verandah, Blue Waters, Grand Pineapple, Jolly Beach and perhaps Galley Bay.

You might also look at the Marriott on St. Kitts - they offer an "All Inclusive" option but I'm not sure it will be in your price range.

There are only a couple of All Inclusives on St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands) - look at Bolongo Bay and Frenchman's Reef. On St. Croix check out Divi Carina Bay.

FYI - there are no All Inclusives in the British Virgin Islands and the resorts in that island chain that offer "Meal Plans" will most likely be out of your price range so you probably want to concentrate your search elsewhere.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 07:05 AM
KVR

To repeat the above, the best, budget friendly AI's are in Mexico, Jamaica and the DR. We have gone to Mexico multiple times because it's such a good deal and easy to get to. We have been to Jamaica twice and the DR once many years ago.

There are a few AI's in other Caribbean destinations, but you will pay more and get less than what those 3 destinations offer. We have been to several AI resorts in other Caribbean destinations also.

If you can change your travel date from March to the 3rd week of May, you will find better prices and lower crowds. If you can't, I would recommend an adult's or couple only resort or be prepared to be inundated with kids.

Here's a good site to research AI's in the Caribbean and Mexico. I agree, you need to check out your air miles before making any decisions.

http://www.caribbeanallinclusive.com...ve_resorts.cfm

http://www.mexicoallinclusive.com/me...ve_resorts.cfm
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 04:13 AM

With only 6 nights, I would stick to the Mexico All-Inclusive Resorts to max out your vacation time. If you can't travel outside the peak spring break time (March)then you might find it more relaxing to stay at an adults only resort. In fact, many of the bigger resorts have an adults on section.

Since your airfare is covered, you should be able to find a nice AI within your budget. Check out the Royal in Cancun or Playa De Carmen. I found these to be fantastic resorts. Another favorite AI of mine is the Palladium but I wouldn't recommend it for just 6 nights since is pretty far south. With 6 nights I'd want to get from plane to toes in the sand real fast! Happy Travels!
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 06:02 AM

I just noticed you tagged your post with "Bermuda" - while you will find several resorts their that offer meal plans, most will be over your budget. Also, Beuda is not actually in the Caribbean and can be quite cool in March so you should at destinations further south if swimming and beach time are high on your list of things to do.