Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help pick a caribbean island easiest to get to from Seattle

Old May 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM
MissVicki

Hello, We are wanting to go to the Caribbean but live in Seattle we wanted to go to Grenada but at best a 17 hr trip. I want a place with a caribbian feel meaning steel drums, caribbean food, BLUE water, white sand, palm trees you know a Corona ad. now before I get in trouble for this my husband says a lot of that is for tourist well maybe it is but that is what I want. I went though a lot this year and I used that picture for my meditation during my worst times and now I want to see in my minds eye.Negril is about a 10 hour trip so it is in the running we looked at the Bahamas but it looked so commercal. What do ya'll think? I look forward to hearing all places you would go to! Thank you

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Being a Seattlelite myself, we travel to the Caribbean at least once a year. Jamaica is easily approached through Houston or Newark via Continental, Delta though Atlanta, USAir via Charlotte or American via Dallas/Miami. Using those hubs can get you almost anywhere else in the Caribbean, as well. Grand Cayman via Houston or Newark on Continental or the USVI (STT) via Newark. We love Negril and it may be a perfect place for you. But like any place in the Caribbean, some rave while others rant. In our eyes it provides the perfect balance between culture, food, color and that “escape” factor. The Jamaican people are amongst the friendliest you’ll ever encounter. 10 hours from Seattle is about as good as you’ll get to Jamaica or anywhere in the Caribbean. We’ll fly that with smiles on our faces!
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM

From the West Coast definitly consider the NW Caribbean... (ie Cayman or Jamaica) as they are much closer than the Southern / Eastern Caribbean.

You can get a non-stop redeye to Miami and connect from there, or else connect through Houston to Cayman or JA
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Grenada is very very nice. You can fly overnite on American to Miami, then to Barbados, and a short hop on LIAT to Grenada and get in around 6 PM. Or AA to Miami and San Juan. Then AA nonstop to Grenada, getting in around the same time.
Jamaica is quicker. AA overnite to MIA. AA nonstop to Montego Bay get in mid-morning. Check out Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios, a couple hours form MBJ. Lovely boutique hotel on private beach.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:48 AM

ps. Barbados is wonderful, too. You can pick some hotels on the calm west coast which are non-commercialized. Best is Coral Reef Club. See www.barbados.org and www.coralreefbarbados.com. You can make an early afternoon arrival by going overnite from SEA.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM
MissVicki

Thanks guys I think Negril it will be and an oceanfront cocolapalm sounds like our kind of place not to rustic and and not to stuffy. Can't wait!! But we have many months but a lot of the fun is the planning so I'll be on here getting ,restaurant, bar , transportation info can't wait!!!