Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help needed - going to Antigua on 21st January (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-needed-going-to-antigua-on-21st-january-493940/)

screamer Jan 9th, 2005 10:21 AM

Help needed - going to Antigua on 21st January

We are going to Antigua for our first visit in two weeks time. He loves sailing and as we are booked into Club Colona his needs will be well catered for. I have bad knees, like painting, lazing and gentle pursuits but am not hot on or in the water, but can manage it. I felt sure there must be wonderful things to do when we are not engaged in either of the above activities that you guys have discovered... please share!! Thanks a bunch.
Tina

Knowing Jan 9th, 2005 01:30 PM

There are many sandy beaches that are almost always uncrowded for you to laze on. You can have a taxi driver take you sightseeing to show you the breathtaking views. Even with bad knees, if you can manage it, there is fun shopping. Fine local art and sculpture, or exotic island foods and coffees. There are plenty of temptations to consider. Does Club Colona offer anything? Dining on the island is also enjoyable.

antiguaseafaris Jan 9th, 2005 01:35 PM

Hi

If you enjoy sightseeing and local art I would recommend a taxi ride out to harmony hall art gallery where yopu can enjoy a great lunch and some local art
Eqaully if your husband is into adventure check us out

antiguaseafaris

ejcrowe Jan 10th, 2005 06:20 AM

I would definitely go out to Harmony Hall--they have a wonderful Italian restaurant where lunch can take a couple of hours lingering over various courses and coffee. They also have a very nice art gallery as well as boutique offering items for sale. The price of lunch will also get you a boat ride over to Green Island, but your bad knee might preclude that.

You might want to also consider an island tour by taxi--Nelson's Dockyard is fairly interesteding, but I don't know how much walking you want to do with your bad knee. Devil's Bridge is also good, as are Half Moon Bay, Nonsuch Bay, Shirley's Heights, Jabberwock Beach, and Darkwood Beach.

The Antigua & Barbuda museum downtown is tiny but well presented. The big cathedral nearby is quite lovely and is a cool place to sit down, even in the middle of the day. There are lots of good restaurants all over the island, too, but the things I've found most enjoyably on Antigua really do demand a certain amount of walking or activity.

screamer Jan 16th, 2005 09:43 AM

Thank you so much! I do like to shop Knowing.. not exclusively, but I think I might get himself to accompany me, especially if there is a rum punch in the prospect! We will certainly dine out whenever we can. We will also try the Harmony Hall Gallery which sounds fabulous. I may even be able to manage the boat to Green Island if it is easy to get on and off- I can walk and climb stairs quite a bit really .. but not for long. Thank you ejcrowe and antiguaseafaris. Looking forward to being there with you all!
Regards
Tina