Notices

Help me pick a destination.

Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Help me pick a destination.

My head is spinning trying to find our vacation spot this summer.
There are 4 adults going not couples but family.
We went to Punta Cana and loved it last year but I wanted a more Caribbean vibe although I know it is in the Caribbean. I want to be on that ocean and not the Atlantic. Wanted Caribbean music, food etc.

We would like an all inclusive
We are all adults so prefer either adults only or mostly adult resort.
Not into a huge nightlife scene, a show after dinner is fine.
Prefer not to be in a high rise
White sandy beach, clear water not lots of coral or rocks
Good selection of food and drinks including some American things for the more picky in the group.

I have been back and forth with Aruba and Jamaica but I can't seem to find that spot that has it all. Maybe I am missing a destination? Maybe I haven't found that resort that has it all...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.
Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:55 AM

I've only spent a few days on Aruba. We did stay in the high rise section, I felt like I could have been in Florida. US hotels, US restaurants.

We did go to the low rise section for an afternoon. We liked it better, but, it still didn't feel very 'Caribbean' to me. Nice beaches though.

The folks who travel to Aruba often will advise not to do all inclusive there. Too many wonderful restaurants at all price points.

The only place I've been to in Jamaica is Negril. Love beach. Nice people. We don't stay at resorts, but, rather small, local properties. We enjoyed our stay. Food was excellent, drinks reasonably priced. We did wander past Couples Swept Away, and it looked very nice. Not a high rise, loungers were nicely spread out, people didn't seem to be on top of each other.

I think Jamaica has its own vibe, unique to itself.

For more of a Caribbean feel, look at Grenada, St. Kitts, Nevis. Almost certainly others, those are just the ones I've been to. I think Spice Island on Grenada is all inclusive.
Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
KVR

Finding AI that is as affordable as what you can get in the DR, Jamaica and Mexico is a challange. We have found that AI in other destinations don't offer as much and are 2-3 times more expensive.

I have to agree with the above regarding Aruba. Aruba doesn't really have that "Caribbean feel" and AI is not recommended there. Most people complain Aruba is too "Americanized".

We've been to 16+ AI resorts, mostly in Mexico, and haven't found a resort yet that plays Caribbean music. Usually it's the US top 40 selection. Go figure. Some resorts in Jamaica will offer a beach party with local music. Based on your criteria, look at the Iberostar adult only AI in Montego Bay.

The problem with Negril is that the only non couple AI resorts are the 2 RIU's on Bloody Bay, which I would not recommend to anyone not looking for a low budget family friendly vacation. We did not enjoy our experience there and the food was beyond terrible even for an AI. Montego Bay and Ocho Rios has a better selection of AI resorts that are non-couple related.

Here's a list of AI resorts in the Caribbean to help you with your search:

http://www.caribbeanallinclusive.com...ve_resorts.cfm

Also look at Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, and Barbados. Those seem to be more prevalant with AI resorts.
Mar 23rd, 2013, 08:23 AM

MdNikki:

What is your budget?

In Aruba, you will find high rise properties and a more Americanized feel.

Search this Thread