Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help me get home from Caneel/Little Dix (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-me-get-home-from-caneel-little-dix-372175/)

jkurtiak Oct 28th, 2003 12:04 PM

Help me get home from Caneel/Little Dix

I have hit a road block. We are staying at Caneel Bay and then going to Little Dix. How do you get home without flying out of a different airport? Is this possible even?
Convinence wise its great but price wise it doubles because we cant fly out of ST Thomas and get a round-trip fare.
We are flying in and out of Newark Airport
Any suggestions???

cdt Oct 28th, 2003 12:12 PM

Take the ferry from Tortola to St. Thomas.

Or, Little Dix may have a private ferry to Caneel Bay. If so, you could get to St. John this way, take a taxi from Caneel to Cruz Bay, and a ferry from St. John to St. Thomas.

Ferries to St. Thomas arrive either at Red Hook (east end) or Charlotte Amalie. The latter choice brings you much closer to the airport.

beachplum Oct 28th, 2003 01:04 PM

Yes, it is possible to fly out of EIS post Little Dix but you might pay a premium for not having the round trip ticket for STT. You'll lose your last day since you'll have to ferry back to STT but Thursday and Sunday are the only days for the ferry between VG and STT (it takes about 2 hours and leaves around 3, $50 fare pp) so you'd have to wait until the next am to fly back into EWR. You might want to check with Caneel to see what days their boat goes between Caneel and Little Dix and into STT (might be Wednesdays and Sundays, not sure). In the meantime, a travel agent might be able to find an open jaws ticket for you at a reduced rate or do r/t on AA from EWR into SJU and catch the Eagle or other smaller plane to EIS or STT rather than trying to do the direct to STT from EWR. Might also think about going to VG first then transfering on the Caneel boat back St. John (my preference for the switch) which would make the return trip easier
Check out the fares on the later flights out of STT/SJU to JFK which might fit that ferry schedule. Also you can hire a water taxi but any money saved on the r/t would be eaten by the water taxi.

penny Oct 28th, 2003 02:18 PM

I would check with Little Dix, I understand they have a ferry that goes to Charlotte Amalie. We did the reverse
flew on AA to Virgin Gorda, Caneels ferry ( 2 times a week)from LDB to Caneel, then home through St. Thomas. Continential did not have the direct flight a few years ago. So it might be doable to fly in and out of St. Thomas.
The ferry is fun, and a great part of the trip.

Sunnyboy Oct 28th, 2003 02:40 PM

I agree with Beachplum. Try routing yourself thru SJU on both your inbound and outboud legs. You'll qualify for the r/t fare and you won't lose too much time traveling. From SJU take one of the island hoppers (there's plenty to choose from) to STT and ferry over to St. John and Caneel Bay. From EIS take American Eagle or Liat (there may be others) to SJU to connect to your flight back to EWR. Your travel agent can help you or you can check out various itineraries yourself on AA.com, expedia.com or travelocity.com to see what works best for you. Try traveling mid-week for the best prices.

jkurtiak Oct 29th, 2003 05:45 AM

Thank you all so much. I used all your info and come up with a much cheaper alternative. AA was much cheaper airline then any other and we can fly out of 2 different airports. The difference in price to fly out of the same airport coming and going isnt worth the hassle for the small amount saved
THANKS!!!!!!