Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help ! Looking for the best Honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-looking-for-the-best-honeymoon-281652/)

Jesse Dec 27th, 2002 11:12 AM

Help ! Looking for the best Honeymoon

I am getting married in september and I have no idea where to take my fiance to. I am trying to keep everthing a secret but I am finding that some of the places I have in mind have had some bad reviews. So, I asking for some help! Here is some info to help you:<BR> - Must be a beach with oceanfront view (preferably Caribbean)<BR> - Price Range 4,000 to 6,000<BR> - All Inclusive<BR> - Concierge services<BR> - Not Jamaica<BR>* Keep in mind the time of year will be September 7 - 13<BR>

J Dec 27th, 2002 11:19 AM

Keep in mind that's hurricane season, so stay clear of the hurricane belt. I'm no expert, but I think that means the furter south you go, the better.

Jesse Dec 27th, 2002 11:49 AM

Jesse Dec 27th, 2002 11:51 AM

Any Suggestions on a place to go that fits my needs?

elise Dec 27th, 2002 11:58 AM

We have been planning our honeymoon for June and settled on st john, but as far as hurricanes go i think you might want to look in to aruba

karen Dec 27th, 2002 11:58 AM

Not only is it hurricane season (from June to November) but September is the month that produces the most rain/tropical depressions. The caribbean has been pretty lucky hurricane wise, but a September Honeymoon in the Caribbean is a bit risky! I am only being honest, with the stress of a wedding the last thing you need to worry about is the September weather in the caribbean. You might try Hawaii. I don't know where you live, but Continental has a non-stop flight to Hawaii (10 hrs) from Newark. I would call a travel agent and see what is out there, Classic Custom Vacations does Hawaii, it may be worth it to see what they have to offer. Honestly, September is the worst month in the caribbean,(many resorts and or restaurants are closed sept and oct) with August and October being iffy. Check out this website:www.classiccaribbean.com and click on classic Hawaii, you should find some great deals, you do have to book thru a Travel Agent though, which is a good thing! Hope this helps, I am not being negative, just truthful and trying to give you a good alternative, that website is a good place to start.

karen Dec 27th, 2002 12:02 PM

p.s. I forgot to add, do not go to Aruba, I have never been buta few friends of mine separately went and were disappointed. Lots of high rise hotels and the beach is very windy, they could not lay on the beach without being sandblasted. It may be nice for a vacation but not for a Honeymoon which should be special. Everyone will recommend Aruba because it is out of the huricane belt, but that is not always the answer.

arubalover Dec 27th, 2002 12:08 PM

I thought Aruba was great. The beaches were perfect, the water a beautiful turquoise color,excellent restaurants, lots to do, friendly people...and I did not once get sandblasted on the beach. It is windy sure, but it's refreshing in the heat.<BR><BR>I think Arunba would be a great honeymoon spot...the Hyatt, Radisson and Bucuti are all great choices. <BR><BR>If you go, have fun!

xxx Dec 27th, 2002 12:12 PM

You have a nice price range to work with I think. I have to agree the Caribbean could be risky the month of Sept. Would you at all be interested in Europe? As in Paris, or Italy. How romantic could that be? VERY I would think. I am just offering some other alternatives to the Caribbean without the worry of weather. Of course there is Hawaii. I am not sure I follow the secret part. Although a nice surprise I am sure your intended realizes this is a honeymoon, you will be going someplace, perhaps you should explore other destinations together. There is also PDC in Mexico. I have heard the Royal Hideway is a great place for a honeymoon. Still have the weather factor to deal with. Good luck.

sandi Dec 27th, 2002 12:18 PM

Jesse,<BR><BR>My husband &amp; I've been to Peter Island, Biras Creek, Four Seasons (Nevis, you can buy meal plan.) Our faviorte is Peter Island for the good food, beautiful grounds, breath taking beaches, clear water, so many palm trees, beautiful ocean front room, secluded, good service, good Gym &amp; access to other islands. We were at the above resorts between September to December and we didn't have any kind of problbem due to hurricane season.<BR>

GM Dec 27th, 2002 08:24 PM

Unhappily, Jesse, you're not planning on going during the best time....<BR><BR>BUT, you might want to consider Grenada, and the following are my suggestions:<BR><BR>- Spice Island Resort: Is an AI, off season rates will definitely be in your price range, and is on one of the best beaches on Grenada (Anse). Some rooms have their own plunge pools, and the property was just rennovated 2 years ago.<BR><BR>- LaSource, which has an OK beach, is oceanfront, and AI, with a spa treatment included daily.<BR><BR>There's also Sandy Lane in Barbados, another AI that offers spa services.<BR><BR>Hope the above helps, and all the best in your upcoming marriage.

tivertonhouse Dec 28th, 2002 04:12 AM

Go to the Africa board here for postings on The Seychelles, amazing islands 1,000 miles off the coast of Kenya and India in the Indian Ocean. Fly Air France. A week, however, may be scant time to escape. Recommend Praslin island especially. Cape Town also a good bet..September in the Caribbean can be a crap shoot: either great weather or storms. This past year, September was wonderful.

dana Dec 28th, 2002 05:57 AM

Hi Jesse,<BR>Not sure about the weather in September, but Cozumel is a great spot. The hotels are far enough from the dowtown area that you get a special feel for the island. On the other hand it's only a short cab ride into downtown for some shopping and fun. You can pretty much make Cozumel what ever you want. There are plenty of private beaches to call your own. Jeep rental can make for some amazing discoveries/ We stayed at the Iberostar. It's AI. I would highly recommend it. Fun in the sun, tropical drinks,snorkeling, great shopping and dining...Cozumel has it all.

Tom Dec 28th, 2002 07:12 AM

What about Bermuda, St. Barts or Mustique?

Kris Dec 29th, 2002 10:28 AM

Grenada - La Luna (laluna.com). Perfect honeymoon spot. Have you considered Bora Bora? It's magical and you could do it in your price range.

islander Dec 29th, 2002 12:41 PM

There shouldn't be a problem at all with the weather in Antigua in Nov/Dec. It is one of the islands that gets very little rain.<BR><BR>We were married at Sandals Antigua and it was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better weddingmoon. I am not one of those &quot;Sandals Lovers&quot; but this resort really has a great laid back and romantic charm to it. It has incredible landscaping, an amazing beach...and it's so peaceful and relaxing you can hear yourself breathe!! We have never enjoyed ourselves (or each other) more than on this vacation. There is plenty to do as far as land/water sports and at night they have entertainment (usually a steel drum band). They also have a beach party once a week. But what is so great is you can join in or do nothing at all! And the resort is like having your own Caribbean village to hang out in. We loved it!<BR><BR>And as far as the wedding, it couldn't have been more perfect. We had no stress what-so-ever. They took care of everything and it was SO beautiful. I can't really put the experience or the place into words to describe it well enough! We truly enjoyed it!<BR><BR>Congrats and enjoy where ever you choose to go! And if you have any other questions, or would like me to e-mail you pics, just let me know!

ellen Dec 29th, 2002 02:15 PM

Hey islander, could you tell us if you liked Sandals or not, because I'm having a hard time figuring out how some people feel about it.

islander Dec 29th, 2002 02:25 PM

We just returned from Sandals Antigua 2 months ago on our weddingmoon and we loved the resort. I mean this place is da bomb, peoples. We had the time of our lives. The landscaping is flat out amazing, the beach/water/sunsets are even better, plenty of activities goin' down all the time or you have the option to jus chill. This resort has an amazing laid back fly romantic charm to it. <BR>You just can't find a better weddingmoon spot than Sandals. It is the most tricked out place the Caribbean has to offer. No bad vibes at all and more sofisticated than most of those other high dollar places people are always jawflappin about. <BR>Go and you won't be disappointed.

jim Dec 30th, 2002 03:13 AM

Jesse Dec 30th, 2002 07:20 AM

I think I need to clarify that I am not looking for a place to get married. We are getting married back in the states. I am just looking for a romantic honeymoon without the stress of worry about Hurricanes.<BR> Thanks for all the suggestions and input, and keep them comming. They are really helping me narrow things down.