Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help! It is my 10 year anniversary...would it be perfect at Cap Jaluca or Cuisinart?

Help! It is my 10 year anniversary...would it be perfect at Cap Jaluca or Cuisinart?

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Andrea

We are going to Anguilla for the first time
in January...I need help deciding between Cuisinart and Cap Juluca.

Basically, we like impeccable service, great concierge/maid service,privacy,updated and luxurious surroundings and a beautiful beach...we really enjoy hearing the waves at night in our room. Would you choose Cap or Cuisinart? Do both have telephones,mini bar and TV's?
Thanks!!

What are the main differences between the two properties? Any advice on the island,hotels, room preferences would be greatly appreciated.....

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Armando

I have stayed in Cap Juluca with friends and they went back to Cuisinart and preferred Cap Juluca. Cap Juluca is simply phenomenal in every aspect. Superb service, accommodations, dining and the best beach in the Caribbean period..... I'm not only in the hospitality industry but also know the Caribbean very well. The room I had did not have a T.V. but even better... it had a mini-bar (no charge) which contents are already included in room rate... they serve you breakfast in your private room balcony etc.. We rented a jeep and drove around. There's a couple of bars but not much more; however, you must try the Scilly Cay restaurant... they pick you up in a small boat, take you to the restaurant and you will witness your waiter dive in the sea to get your lobsters etc.. WOW ! If you are travelling for a week or more, you may want to combine this trip with a few pre or post days in St. Maarteen..... stay at the Dutch side (much more to do).

Happy Anniversary !

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Karen

Altho I am looking forward to my first stay at Cap, we did visit the property when staying at CuisinArt last year. No comparison - Cap all the way! CuisinArt is nice (the food was without a doubt the worst dinner we had on the island and the "complimentary" breakfasts served on the balcony were barely okay! I really thought they would have some knock-out pastries and croissant!). The staff is great but the rooms were quite stark and not very comfortable and the screaming baby next door (with the parents fighting as to whose turn it was to feed it) did not lend itself to the ambience!!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:19 AM
penny

Hi Andrea-First of all let me say i am a big fan of Cap Juluca and have stayed there many times. When CJ was closed we stayed at CuisinArt and enjoyed it very much. So, I feel there is no wrong choice.
I prefer CJ as the villas are spread out over a beautiful beach and to me there is nothing as spectacular or unique as this hotel in the caribbean!
CuisinArt is more compact, villas are closer together, Rendevous is a wide lovey beach but much windier than Maundays Bay.
I have enjoyed the food at both hotels, and will dine again at both.
No tv at CJ and yes a well stocked fridge. Both have phones.
I do feel CJ has more privacy!
Enjoy!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Reenie

I've been to Anguilla 4 times and we will be going again this winter..you will love it. We stay at the Shoal Bay Beach hotel with our patio right on the beach which provides a quick run into the water before breakfast (from a nearby French bakery) on our patio. I would recommend at least one day on Shoal Bay Beach...the most beautiful in the Carribean. Between your two hotel questions, I also would pick Cap Jaluca. If you want some eating suggetions (the island is full of fine restaurants) I'll be happy to pass them along.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Beth

Andrea:

I think you've set extremely high standards. Is a TV that important? Because I am getting the sense that what you are looking for is perfection and you won't find it. Cap Juluca is a wonderful place, just remember to chill!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Maureen

Wow, what a dilemma! If a not having a TV is okay with you then I would pick Cap Juluca all the way. Absolutely remarkable.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Peggy

Guess I will jump in here too with some
questions. We have decided on Cap for next spring...probably. I like small properties (this is bigger than we usually stay at) that are upscale but not pretentious, hope that is true here. I have posted that question before but guess I am still concerned & have been spoiled by some great resorts in the South Pacific that cater the best of everything but urge you to put away your shoes & jewelry & watches for the duration of your visit. I have tried to find that kind balance in the Caribb. I love great atmosphere & ambience but with a relaxed atitude. So what is the dress code for Pimm's & George's? for lunch & dinner?
Same for Straw hat, Mango's, I mean does my husband have to wear collared shirts & long pants every night? We "dress" everyday in our work life, rather not on vacation. Is George's laidback enough for shorts?
They say complimentary rum setup & mini-bar. Is that an arrival gesture or is it restocked for free/charge?
What does the complimentary breakfast consist of?
Are the sailing boats available as advertised?
Is the all day Prickley Pear outing too long?
Where is the best villas (Jr. suite) to be nearer the restaurants but not in the center of activity.
Sorry for all the questions, I really want to make sure this place is for us. Most of your posts have me convinced but I need some more reassurance! Thanks for any info you can give me.....& Andrea!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Maureen

Peggy:

What South Pacific resorts are you referring to? I would love to get some good recommendations on great resorts in that area.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Andrea

Thanks for the responses so far....I really dont want a TV that is why I asked....as far as too high of expectations, I figure at least a positive response to some of my expectations will warrant the price tag.
Believe me , I don't expect perfection
but compared to our vacation last year at Las Ventanas in Mexico I hope it is close. I am concerned because we have been to almost every luxury resort in the Caribbean and none of them have been that great,although Anguilla sounds wonderful and the people sound friendly... Thank you for all your help!!! Peggy really asked all the questions I was thinking.....Thanks Peggy!! Hope we get some additional info!!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 04:37 PM
penny

Hi again Andrea, just wanted to ask what luxury hotels in the caribbean disappointed you. We had some disappointments too, but never at CJ or CuisinArt as we adore Anguilla.
Isn't Les Ventanus a Rosewood resort?
Rosewood does an excellent job, but I feel they could do much better at Caneel Bay! Anyhow I know you will enjoy Cap Juluca. Our big disappointment was La Samanna and St. Lucia at Jalousie Hilton.
Peggy CJ is laid back! You can wear shorts during the day and beach cover ups at all the hotels restaurants. Pimms dress code is long pants or Bermuda shorts. Straw Hat is casual and the owner of Mangos wears shorts or jeans.
The junior suites are in villas 1-3 and
11 and 12, well away from Georges.
The water sports program is excellent and the staff is there all day!
The continential breakfast is wonderful, bagels, muffins, sometimes banana bread, english muffins, bran muffins,croissants,( even chocolate ones)fresh fruit and juice, coffee or tea! Quite filling
Hope this helps. The only problem is this hotel is so popular you can not always get the time you want!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Andrea

Hello Penny:

You read my mind. March of 98 we went to Jalousie Hilton and March of 00 La Samanna. They were not horrible vacations we enjoyed ourselves, however,
they were not as memorable as some of the press/price should have warranted. Also, Glitter Bay/Royal Pavillion in Barbados was nothing to "wow" about.
Anyway, we usually make the best and enjoy our trips because we are grateful to get the chance to travel. Las Ventanas ( Rosewood)was beautiful!! It was our first time in Mexico. The resort had great service and beautiful rooms and a great pool....it sounds as if it is a different type of resort than CJ. If you want more info let me know.
Thank you for your input. Do you recommend any particular villa location/Junior suite upper or lower level? We fly into St. Maarten. What is the best way to get from St maarten to Anguilla? Thanks Again!!!

Have you ever been to St Barts?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Peggy

This is great info! Thank you so much, it is sounding better all the time. Hopefully if I reserve soon I can get what we want for next May/June.
Andrea, you picked one of the best resorts in Mexico & we have thought about it but have visited Cabo so many times over the years we are visiting other places, Villa Del Sol in Zihuatanejo is great & so is Hotel Costa Careyes north of Manzanillo, if you are looking at Mexico again.
Maureen, if you like, e-mail me & I'll send you comparisons of the resorts I've been to in Fiji. Vatulele has been my favorite. Expensive but worth it. The South Pacific is not for people looking for closed up air-conditioned 4 Seasons type luxury though, it is more natural & serene. Well back to the Caribbean...By what villas is George's located & is Pimm's at the end by villa 18? Are the jr. suites all located on the 2nd floor? I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way & after Karen goes in Dec we can get her input too!
Reenie, any restaurant info would be great. Have heard about the more expensive ones but what about some more casual, by the beach type places?
Thanks again everyone!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Mike

Andrea, these people are going quite a bit overboard in their praise of Cap, and I think it's because most of the resorts in the Caribbean are so UNDERWHELMING that when they get to Cap it just blows them away because it's so superior to most of the JUNK in the Caribbean! Do NOT get your hopes up too high. Cap is certainly a very nice and pleasant resort, nothing more, nothing less, with a great beach, although the water isn't really as crystal clear as they make it out to be. The interiors of Las Ventanas are certainly superior to what you will find at Cap, that I can assure you! And the island itself is NOTHING to look at, certainly in comparison to a place like gorgeous Hawaii! I am NOT trying to be a downer; I simply want to give a more REALISTIC picture of what you are in store for, i.e., I really don't think you will be "blown away" by Cap Juluca, plain and simple!! But you will enjoy the experience, if only once, as once was certainly enough for us when we were there!!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Bob

Disagree Mike, I've traveled alot and was definitely blown away by C.J. I describe it as casual elegance, a nice respite from alot of the pomp and circumstance found at many luxury resorts. But, to each his/her own. I was particularly impressed with the grounds, they have made a real effort to keep it natural.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:54 AM
penny

Andrea that is so funny about our shared disappointments! But as you said we did make the most of it and had a great time!
All the rooms are beach front at Cap Juluca. We usually get a junior suite and these are all well located. Sometimes we are in villa 3, my husband likes this end of the beach as it is much wider and a shorter walk to Georges and Pimms. The west end villas 11 or 12, the beach is not as wide but better views of St. Martin and the water. We alternate each year! We always book a lower room as we enjoy easy access to the beach, the views are better from the upper floors- so it is a personal choice. By the way the acoutics at CJ are wonderful, unlike La Samanna where the upper stairs were above our bedroom so that I could here the neighbors clomp up at night! Pimms is located at the far east point well away from villa 1-Georges is in the center between 6&7 (i think).

We always fly into St. Martin and get the ferry from Marigot. I know the hotel has a new meet and greet service but I have never used it. I can give you some pointers. We carry on our luggage so its faster. Also when you pass thru immigration at SXM go to the left lane, usually faster as there are always 2 agents. Marigot is aboout a 15 minute or longer ride-lots of trafic thru it except on Sunday. You sign in at the ferry booth, pay $2.00 tax, and wait for the boat(run every half caribbean hour). Once aboard its a 20 minute ride, the fare is collected onboard $10.00/person, make sure you ask for a immigration form to be presesnted at Blowing Point on anguilla. If you need help with your luggage the wheelbarrel valet will help.
Cabs are there all the time and you might even meet a taxi driver on the boat! Once we land in SXM I feel we have arrived!
Now there are lots and lots of beach bars and restaurants, lots of beach type places. Tratoria Trantomonto, great for casual lunch, of course Silly Cay, Smittys, Dune Preseve, Johnnos, Ernies, and Roys.
The beauty of Anguilla is the whole package the beautiful beaches, low key beach bars, excellent dining, wonderful hotels and villas, sweet hard working people and relaxation. The island itself is very arid and not very pretty, but its all beautiful to me!
Go to www.news.ai/ Lots of info and photos, menus et.
Again I hope this helps!

PS-Andrea I have never been to St. Barts. I hate very small planes. I understand its wonderful! We also like Jumby Bay And Caneel! Never tried Mexico!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:59 AM
penny

I also disagee with Mike. The entrance into the hotel and view are unique. CJ has spaced the villas all along its 1 mile beach. To build it today it would not be a cost affective way-thats why the villas are closer at CuisinArt, they could have been spaced further apart as they own more land next door on the beach!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Reenie

a very handy, easy, and fun way to get from St. Martin to Anguilla is on the ferry (big covered speed boat). It is about a 30 min. trip, around $10.00 and goes at least once an hour..just take a taxi from the airport to the ferry..this is how the locals do it as well as a few tourists...some restaurant suggestions: high end are easy to find, and our favorites after trying many are: Hibernia...at the eastern end of the island (the chef was just named the chef of the year ) eclectic mix of Asian/French; Blanchard's..about the middle of the island, French/Carribean; Mango's, Carribean with a French flair, pull out the stops: Malliouhana for outstanding food, service and dynamite view. We love finding more local and less grand places and there are several in Sandy Ground. One we thought was great was Ripples, local dishes. Threre are several places there where you can show up barefoot and in shorts and not be underdressed. The Great House has good food, right on the main road. Try some of the local looking places. Stop in the Savannah Gallery (art gallery)...they are full of suggestions for "cheap eats" in Anguilla. You will also see some wonderful art. Another place to stop for a visual treat is Cheddie's Carving Studio, the cove, right on the main drag as well. His carvings are world class and presented in his beautiful gallery setting. Rent a car...it is worth driving around the island and taking all the side roads and finding beautiful coves, places to eat off the beaten track, etc.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Reenie

Egads...almost forgot the biggest culinary bargain on the island...in Island Harbor (close to Scilly Cay) is a charming French Bakery (bon pain--is the source of all the fabulous bread on the island) which makes sandwiches for you on foot long fresh baguettes right out of the oven for $6.00. They are delicious, packed with a large variety of ingredients of your choosing. You may notice the pasteries while you are waiting, and like everyone else won't be able to resist. Ah the tarts, etc., etc.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Karen

We were blown from Cap by Lenny so when I finally go to Anguilla, it was definitely a "must" to check it out. Since we had missed the "bargin" rates for the soft opening and stayed at CuisinArt, it was a must to check it out thoroughly! And I did! Yes, it was lovely. Even driving up, my dh stated, "This is your kinda place." I love the small, non-maintance kinda places too and this struck me as fitting perfectly! I whined and cried but they couldn't fit us in even for one nite as I would have surely changed my plans to fly on to another island!
One of our major disappointments with many years traveling to the Caribb was PSV last year. But then, maybe I had much too high expectations but at those prices ... ! What a great setting tho! Another disappointment was Maroma north of Playa del Carmen (but Tony Blair just stayed there! hope he liked it better!) and I had chosen it over Las Ventanas because of the beaches and swimming and loved the area, the people and the history/culture. Not impressed with Rosewood's properties, Caneel or Little Dix, anymore since they took over from the old RockResorts! Those were the days!! And then there was the food at Jumby which was horrid but that was while the "new" RockResorts had it - who also manage CuisinArt now. So, you get some lemons and you make lemonaide. My son did St. Lucia and ruled it out for me (just confirmed why I had never chosen it in the past. He stayed at Jalousie and even thought Ladera's food was just so so) so can't compare first hand and Four Seasons is lovely but again that was a few years ago and more high maintance than I normally would choose to be (and I don't golf)! But we had glorious stays at some of the other resorts (never LaSamanna since Lenny changed our plans!). Suspect when I finally do decide to take the long trek to Hawaii (would have loved to have seen it 20 years ago tho!) and then on to the South Seas, the good ol USofA might not see me again!! Just wish somehow it didn't take most of the vacation time getting there and getting home!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information