Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help in finding a vacation spot for 40th brithday (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-in-finding-a-vacation-spot-for-40th-brithday-543839/)

ccb213 Jul 13th, 2005 07:36 AM

Help in finding a vacation spot for 40th brithday

Hi. I am new to this, so bear with me, but I have been reading posts and have found them helpful.

I have never been to the caribbean before and I am looking for a place in the caribbean to celebrate a 40th birthday and will try to describe other things we are looking for. My husband and I both have somewhat demanding jobs and we are leaving our three young children at home and want a place where we can relax by the beach, be a little pampered (spa would be nice), do some snorkeling and maybe diving (would be our first time). I am much more picky than my husband regarding accomodations. I generally like a nice bathroom, somewhat spacious room and nice grounds with some activities to do if we want a change from lying by the beach and pool. We are looking for 3-4 nights in mid-Feb. - which we know is height of the season. We would prefer a quiet, somewhat secluded place with not too many children. Also, we will probably be traveling from Miami and we don't want to be too remote from our children in case something happens and we need to get back. So, maybe this is a tall order to fill.

I was thinking of Anguilla - with maybe a day trip to St. Maartin. Cap J and Malli have minimum night stays, which leaves Cuisinart as a resort. I was looking for any feedback. Also, if anyone has any other ideas, we are certainly open to it other places to stay or staying a resort v. renting a villa. Thanks in advance.

Tuxedocat Jul 13th, 2005 07:42 AM

I'd look into the Four Seasons in Nevis.

beachluver Jul 13th, 2005 08:03 AM

Grand Cayman: the Westin, or the new Ritz will be open by then. Short flight from Miami. since you only have such a short stay, I would sve Anguilla for another time.

Snubes Jul 13th, 2005 08:06 AM

Coral Reef Club in Barbados. Non stop flight from Miami, great rooms, food and service. Snorkeling off shore.
Royal St. Lucian Hotel in St Lucia, right on Reduit beach in Rodney Bay. A lot of restaurants and bars near by.
Anguilla is nice too. Take ferry to St Martin for a change of pace.
Caneel Bay on St. John.

tivertonhouse Jul 13th, 2005 08:07 AM

See Oasis . The Spa getaways for 3/4 or 7 nights on the South Coast of Jamaica

ccb213 Jul 13th, 2005 10:32 AM

Thanks to all. I will look into the suggestions and let you knwo what I find out.

bgans Jul 13th, 2005 12:15 PM

Try Barbados - Sandy Lane, if you want over the top luxury; Coral Reef Club for gentle elegance and a lower price tag. Enjoy where ever you go.

MIM04 Jul 13th, 2005 01:29 PM

I would suggest La Samanna in St Martin. It is fabulous. It looks sort-of like CJ with whitewashed buildings. It is a great place. It is an easy flight from Miami, non stop fairly short flight. I think you would really enjoy it. It has a spa, etc. There are lots of fabulous restaurants in St Martin. Have fun!

ccb213 Jul 13th, 2005 01:41 PM

Mim04 -- How recently have you been to La Sammana? Their are some not so great reviews on Tripadvisor.com. Thanks.

lizpereira Jul 13th, 2005 02:17 PM

Highly recommend the beautiful, unspoilt island of Nevis.

Stay at Moonhill Villa www.villacaribbean.com (comes with your own private cook) and take a day trip to St. Kitts.

American Airlines has a non-stop flight from Miami to St. Kitts on certain days.

or

If you want to be pampered stay at Ottley's Plantation in St. Kitts.

For more information, visit www.image.com

lizpereira Jul 13th, 2005 02:18 PM

Web site should be www.islandimage.com