Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help! I need Suggestions for a GREAT Caribbean Trip!

Jan 28th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Dave

I need some help. My wife is getting done with her chemotherapy in early April, and we're thinking of heading to the Caribbean to celebrate. (we're from Atlanta.) I've been boggled by all the information there is on the various islands and am having a hard time picking THE island. I'm just looking for suggestions; I will do all the intimate homework myself. We've been to the Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Bermuda, Jamaica, Belize, Costa Rica, to give you a sense of where we've been. Obviously, we want someplace new to us. Money is almost no object (within reason - no $1,000 per night hotels, but $500 would be okay). We want someplace lush and romantic with great beaches. We are just going to relax, so no need for watersports, nightlife, etc. Would like a small town for shopping, and some nice/great restaurants. We're only going for 5 days, so we don't want someplace too remote where you spend all your time travelling. I know I'm asking a lot, but I need some help. We are very thankful for your help.

Jan 28th, 2002, 05:44 AM
sharon

hi... just got back from 6 days at Caneel Bay, St. John. It was perfect... the weather was great, they have 7 beaches, it's very low maintenance...but fancy if you want. the near by town (Cruz Bay) has WONDERFUL restaurants..we did not have a bad meal...it's easy to get a taxi ($6) each way. we stayed in a $450 room but got up graded to a 800 one.. we went for my husband's b-day and they found this out and had a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room. we swam with sea turtles (amazing) and all sorts of other amazing sea life. you fall asleep to the sounds of tree frogs. it's a great place. they have a web site: www.caneelbay.com. we would return in a heartbeat! good luck.

Jan 28th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Brad

You described St. Barths -- incredible beaches... best restaurants in the Caribbean, hands down... really some of the best dining anywhere (mostly french food with Caribbean accents), and pure luxury and relaxation. And yes, great shopping too. Expensive, but should definitely be within your price range.

Jan 28th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Dave

Thanks Sharon and Brad! I had been thinking of the BVIs; for some reason, I completely overlooked the US Virgin Islands. For some reason, I thought the USVI were too populated with too many cruise ships. IS that not true?
And Brad, I had thought of St Barts, but I read something about getting there being a bit of a problem. What is it like getting to St Barts?
Thanks again!!!

Jan 28th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Cissy

Dave: How about Turks & Caicos? Not exactly "lush" but absolutely great beaches and good food. Check out Grace Bay and the Sands at Grace Bay on Provo. Going to the Caribbean is a wonderful way to celebrate...best wishes and have fun!

Jan 28th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Karen

No, don't overlook St. John but it is a short ferry ride after arriving in St. Thomas which is not overrun by tourists or cruise ships despite the reports! The BVI has some delightful spots too and you might want to think about Peter Island if you want to head there. Biras Creek might not be the best because of the bike rides/three-quarters of a mile to the swimming beach! You would switch in SJU to EIS (Tortola, Beef Island) and they would transport you right to PIR. St. Barth's would entail a prop out of SXM. Of course all the islands offer more moderate choices too. You might want to wander over to www.scubamom.com for her reviews of some of the BVI's and other lucious places! Congrats on the end of chemo! She deserves a well earned vacation with loads of pampering and you, also, for being the caregiver/support person! I am sure you will have a great time where ever you choose! A wonderful thing to celebrate!

Jan 28th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Suggestion

How about either Nevis (Nisbet Plantation on the beach) or Anguilla (Cap Jaluca)? Both offer excellent beaches, fabulous accommodations, and fine dining.

Jan 28th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Brad

Getting to St. Barths can be somewhat tricky, admitted, because only small planes can land there. But it's only tricky if you're averse to flying in smaller planes. However, you can also take a short boat ride from St. Maarten (I think it's about 1 1/2 hour trip) ...
the largest plane that can land in St. Barths is a 20 seater, but you can arrange to have one of those (as opposed to a 4 or 6-seater, which I took -- but I actually loved the flight on the small plane because of the views seen travelling at lower altitude). The runway is very short and they descend over a hill on St. Barths, landing just short of the Caribbean Sea. I connected through San Juan (on a 20-seater), and it's about an hour from there (I flew in a 4-seater on the way back, by choice). You can also connect through St. Maarten. But the only difficulty in getting to, or leaving, St. Barths stems from people's dislikes of small planes. If you don't mind the smaller planes, don't miss this island... let me know if you have more questions.

Also, another island I love is St. Kitts... very friendly people, not touristy, beautiful beaches and very good food -- less expensive than St. Barths -- and luxurious, but not nearly as luxurious as St. Barths.

Jan 28th, 2002, 08:05 AM
sharon

hi dave.... in regards to cruise ships in the USVI: st. thomas is a nightmare (we thought...really crowded). But Caneel Bay is a huge 100+ acre resort that has a private boat that takes you from Char. Amelie (st. thomas) directly to their beach. Cruz Bay, St. John had the feel of a sleepy little town and I don't think one of the restaurants we went to was 100% full. The beaches at Caneel are many (7) some have public-ness (hawksness), but we went to ones that felt very isolated and private. We never saw a cruise ship from the beach, our room or anywhere in St. John...only when we returned by boat to St. Thomas. it was a peaceful, very relaxing, very romantic vacation for us.