Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help! I need 2nd choice on St. Thomas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-i-need-2nd-choice-on-st-thomas-506469/)

lreedyva Feb 23rd, 2005 09:21 AM

Help! I need 2nd choice on St. Thomas

Everyone seemed to agree that Secret Harbour was the place for our anniversay trip on St.Thomas in mid-late April. Only problem is, there's no availability. Can anyone give me 2nd choices? Thanks for all the help!

cdt Feb 23rd, 2005 10:41 AM

What are you looking for, and on what sort of budget?

We considered Secret Harbour but chose Crystal Cove Condos for less money. They are on Sapphire Beach, which is excellent, with both sandy areas and snorkeling, but not as quiet as Secret Harbour.

The Ritz is nice but way out of our price range.

I think S. Harbour and Sapphire are probably the best beaches on STT with hotels. We loved Crystal Cove, even though it is an "older" (c. 1970?) complex.

lreedyva Feb 23rd, 2005 01:43 PM

I happened to look at Crystal Cove today! We are very budget minded and always try to find the best deal, trying to not ever exceed $200 a night (of course this is in low season). The last time we were on St. Thomas, we stayed at Emerald Beach. That was one of the most romantic and best beaches in that cove that we have ever been to; however, we don't want to stay on the West end again. Thanks for your suggestion.

Schultz Feb 23rd, 2005 05:26 PM

Hi There,

As one who regularly stays at Secret Harbour, I would look at some other beachfront resorts on decent beaches that I consider to be in the same general category: Sapphire, Bolongo & Morningstar. If you want to stay more with condo type places look at the Elysian or Bluebeard's Beach Club.

Schultz

millemar Feb 23rd, 2005 07:23 PM

We stayed at Sapphire Beach Resort in March of 2001. The beach there is really nice, and they have a great dive operation. The only downside is that it was spring break, so the beach had lots of noisy children on it. Not ideal for an adult anniversary trip if you want peace & quiet.

cdt Feb 24th, 2005 04:43 AM

We had a really good look at Sapphire Beach Resort while we were staying at Crystal Cove and my impression is that it's generally overpriced. If you can get a good deal, it might be a decent choice.

One note about Crystal Cove: we stayed in a 1-bedroom unit, which was quite spacious. Not sure what their "studio" units look like.

We visited Bolongo and didn't think the beach measured up to Sapphire. Loved Iggie's, though!

Ali25 Feb 24th, 2005 05:34 AM

I would go with Bolongo. The beach is just fine...though the water is not that great. The friendly staff, the fun at Iggie's, and the Beach House mak up for that. Also, the day trip on Heavenly Days to St John is well worth it! Agreed that Secret Harbor is hard to beat...it's Heaven.

krk6 Feb 24th, 2005 07:35 AM

I have to disagree on staying at the Bolongo...I stayed there in August of 2003 and won't ever go back to that hotel. Everything was run-down and broken in our room (from the mini-fridge to the a/c to the shower.) As hard as what I'm about to say is to belive...I swear it's true. Somebody came into our room when we weren't there and used my boyfriend's razor. He was 25 at the time - no grey hairs on his beard yet. When we came back from a day out and about, we found his razor blade full of black and grey hairs. Totally gross. For this reason alone, I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone going to St. Thomas in the future.