Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help! Honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-honeymoon-298914/)

wolfebd Mar 18th, 2003 12:15 PM

Help! Honeymoon

Looking for some advice. my fiance and I are getting married in mid-July 2003 and I am working to put together our honeymoon. We had hoped to go to Bora Bora, but due to cots concerns and the fact that I am only able to leave work for 10 days makes this option restrictive. Therefore, we are looking at the Carribean as a viable option. I am looking for great ideas for where to stay -- island and resort. We will probably look to avoid the AI route, and while a 1000+ plus/day is unreasonble, we are not looking to take the most inexpensive route. What would you all advise for 7 or eight days?... Thanks!

wolfebd Mar 18th, 2003 12:17 PM

Should also mention that my fiance is intent on hitting the beach and relaxing for the time... some adventure but primarily unwinding. Thanks.

wantsomesun Mar 18th, 2003 12:38 PM

i would suggest heading to a local travel agent to find out what is available and to get some basic prices. Also pictures, lots of pictures so you can get an idea of what the various islands look like and what kind of activites are available. Also travel agents do get good prices on honeymoons, packages etc.<BR><BR>Also do your own homework, get a book or two on the carribean and read up. Try www.where2stay.com, which is a great board for locations, hotels, rates, island info. Since you are going off season, you should be able to have an amazing honeymoon without emptying the piggybank completely.<BR><BR>That said, try this website, it's a small resort of Harbour Island, small villas overlooking the ocean, www.romorabay.com, great food, some shopping and a couple of nite spots, and an amazing beach. www.briland.com for the island history and message board.<BR><BR>Have a great time, and congratulations.

Tango Mar 18th, 2003 12:40 PM

I would go on a cruise. There are going to be more cruise ships in the Caribbean this season because of the situation in Europe so you will probably get a really good deal on a more expensive trip.<BR><BR>You will get to see more places and yet not have any of the stress of finding restaurants, etc. plus you can get spa treatments, etc.<BR><BR>I am biased, I got married in 2000 and went on a Windstar Cruise to the South of France and Italy. Loved every minute of it. Very romantic and we got to see lots of places...like I said, stress free.

ejcrowe Mar 18th, 2003 01:02 PM

I agree with wantsomesun. There are scores of great places out there, each with a different feel to them. And you should be able to get a GREAT place for no more than $500/night, and in many cases much less. <BR><BR>For the most part, there are two geographic types of Caribbean islands: coral origins and volcanic origins. If background scenery is important to you, this is what you should know. Volanic islands tend to be more lush, with dramatic scenery of mountains and rain forest. Coral islands are flatter, usually more arid to varying degrees, and have spectacular beaches. This is not to say that volcanic island beaches are not lovely, or that arid islands are not beautiful. It all depends on what your preferences are. <BR><BR>Before you decide on a place, look at www.luxurylink.com. They have great packages at some top-notch places, often at greatly reduced prices for the off-season. Here are a few of my personal recommendations:<BR><BR>Cap Juluca on Anguilla. Beautiful beaches, rather posh place. Grounds are gorgeous. Anguilla is small and flat and very quiet. Near enough to St. Martin to take day trips there for shopping, action, etc.<BR><BR>Golden Lemon on St. Kitts. This place is comprised of rooms and villas with a bed and breakfast sort of feel. Quiet and elegant. Good food. Nice beach, but not outstanding. The villas have sizeable private plunge pools, which are a nice luxury on a honeymoon. You can take day trips by catamaran to neighboring Nevis. <BR><BR>Guana Island, British Virgins. This is a small private island resort. You take a private launch from Tortola. Day trips are available to other islands in the USBVI. <BR><BR>A combination week at two of the Island Outpost places on Jamaica. Strawberry Hill is high in the Blue Mountains. It has a spa and great food. Villa accommodations. Then spend some time on the water, either at The Caves in Negril, which is a upscale funky cliff village setting; or at Jake's, a completely off the beaten path quirky place on the south coast of Jamaica. <BR><BR>For romance, I also like Laluna on Grenada. Lovely accommodations, some with private plunge pools. I didn't care as much for the food here, though. Grenada is a beautiful island, lush and green. <BR><BR>St. Lucia is also quite beautiful. An unusual place is Ladera Resort, nestled up the side of the Piton mountains. Good food, unsual open-air rooms, and private plunge pools. Pool on site, with daily shuttle to two local beaches. <BR><BR>Most of these places will offer complimentary water sports like snorkeling, kayaking, or windsurfing. Some islands, like Guana and St. Lucia have various hiking paths. It just depends on how much activity you're looking for. Go, and have a terrific time!

KATITCHEPOINT Apr 1st, 2003 04:22 AM

Go to the British Virgin Islands! Check on their official website www.bviwelcome.com for honeymooner-specials!