Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help! Fellow Travelers -- need advice on which island will suit this city-stressed couple in need of R&R away from civilization! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-fellow-travelers-need-advice-on-which-island-will-suit-this-city-stressed-couple-in-need-of-r-and-r-away-from-civilization-105580/)

maggie Feb 12th, 2001 08:54 AM

Help! Fellow Travelers -- need advice on which island will suit this city-stressed couple in need of R&R away from civilization!

Hey fellow travelers! <BR> <BR>Need some quick, fair, general advice on which island within the Caribbean would suit this highly stressed, 30-something couple on our next vacation -- we're looking for a quiet, spacious, secluded, small, amenity-filled hotel (sans resort feel) on an incredible beach with panoramic views. It's very important that the accommodations are designed primarily so that guests don't run into each other -- seclusion and privacy are key! <BR> <BR>We want Bali in the Caribbean but don't know which? We welcome all recommendations! Thanks!

chazz Feb 12th, 2001 09:37 AM

Sounds like you should look at Caneel Bay (St. John), Little Dix (Virgin Gorda), Anse Chastenet or Ladera (both St. Lucia). Assuming you've got plenty of money. <BR>

lee Feb 12th, 2001 09:41 AM

Maggie, <BR>Check out Petit St Vincent!! <BR>www.psvresort.com

maggie Feb 12th, 2001 09:59 AM

Thanks guys -- Lee and Chazz! <BR> <BR>Will check out the site (psvresort.com) and find those hotel recommendations online!

angie Feb 12th, 2001 10:48 AM

I can think of two wonderful but expensive places that fit your bill and are incredible. First, Anse Chastenet on St Lucia (previously mentioned) and even better in my opinion, Peter Island Resort. Its the only hotel on the islandand you have to take a ferry to get there ffrom either Tortola or Virgin gorda. <BR> <BR>If money is somewha tof an issue, look into to renting a private villa on an island such as Nevis, St. Kitts., St. Johns or curaco. you surely won't have the amenities of a resort but you will have seclusion and beauty with a cheaper price tag.

Karen Feb 12th, 2001 11:43 AM

Check scubamom.com for her reviews on the BVI's and Grenadines. Just returned from PSV and it meets your criteria of not running into other guests but another favorite of mine is Meridian Club on Pine Cay in the Turks and Caicos (you do eat in a communial dining room at dinner). www.meridianclub.com Neither have the "luxury" spa nor the extradordinary bathrooms that you might enjoy - might want to check out Cap Juluca on Anguilla~

sharona Feb 12th, 2001 01:42 PM

Hi Maggie. You should definitely check out Cap Juluca on Anguilla. It was designed specifically so guests have maximum privacy but yet with every amenity at your fingertips. CuisinArt on Anguilla is another possibility. Both are on lovely stretches of beach and the restaurants on Anguilla are wonderful. Anguilla is also relatively easy to reach via a direct American (Eagle?) flight from San Juan -- a big plus in the stress-lessening department! <BR>

Maggie Feb 12th, 2001 02:26 PM

Thanks Angie, Karen & Sherona -- will look these sites/hotels/islands thoroughly and appreciate your replies/recommendations/advice. <BR> <BR>As a subscriber to Conde Nast Traveler and a bawker after reading their no-surprise Annual Gold List, which seems to always include only high-end, luxury resorts -- it's great to get recommendations for places equally tantalizing and unique without the "chic" atmosphere. We just want to "get away from it all," without the interruption of TV/phone/fax/email -- absolutely zero communication, other than the dialogue between concierge once a day. <BR> <BR>NYC and its suburbs were hit with one of the coldest winters yet; we are ready to go (yesterday)! <BR> <BR>Like a flock of birds, it's time to head south, and your advice surely helps make our decision easier. <BR> <BR>Keep those recommendations coming! I love them! Hearing from travelers, somehow, psychologically has a more "believeable" effect. If we get enough recommendations, eventually the better places will pop up and we'll have our own little travel survey -- Hey! Is Fodor's listening?

Cheri Feb 12th, 2001 03:25 PM

Maggie, I would VERY strongly suggest Cap Jaluca in Anguilla (if money is no problem). If they're booked try Cuisinart or Malliouhana. The island of Anguilla sounds like it would definitely be what you are looking for. It is very laid back, yet exquisitely upscale. It has many absolutely wonderful restaurants, many secluded beaches, and is very romantic and uncrowded. It also has no American chain restaurants or hotels.

Cheri Feb 12th, 2001 03:33 PM

Oops, I forgot! If money is an issue try the Frangipani Hotel or a villa (on Anguilla).

Cheri Feb 12th, 2001 03:35 PM

Oops, I almost forgot. If money is an issue try the Frangipani Hotel or a villa (on Anguilla).

Maggie Feb 12th, 2001 03:49 PM

Thanks Cheri! <BR> <BR>I'll look into it. <BR> <BR>We're absolutely willing to pay that extra dollar, especially if it fulfills what we're looking for: privacy, seclusion, and little to zero guest sightings. <BR> <BR>After a special treat (business retreat) from Bali, it's hard to find "beach heaven," without hopping on a 26 hour flight from JFK -- the closer the better. <BR> <BR>Where shall we go without "traveling" to the ends of the earth to get to "Caribbean Heaven?" <BR> <BR>

Mark Feb 12th, 2001 04:19 PM

Try Galley Bay Antigua....Just did it and loved every minute...No crowds in fact sometimes we thought we were the only ones their.

gail Feb 14th, 2001 07:37 AM

Maggie, we live in NYC and to get away from it all we go to Harbour Island in the Bahams and stay at Runaway Hill Club. Small resort, only 10 rooms with a beautiful deck pool area and it is RIGHT on the beach. Great food and wonderful staff. <BR> <BR>Have a great time wherever you decide to go. <BR> <BR>YOu might want to go to www.where2stay.com for more info on islands/hotels/pictures and rates.

Karen Feb 14th, 2001 08:15 AM

well, gee golly whiz, if money is no object, head to Necker Island!!! It is WOW!! &lt;VBG&gt; and you would have the whole island to yourself!! Hope you looked at Guana Island in the BVI's too ... but nothing was quite as private as PSV. And hearing good things about the new "spa" cuisine as an option at Cap!! (not for me - I always want to indulge!!!)

Maggie Feb 15th, 2001 06:43 AM

Thanks for all the replies; this is great -- I've got a lot of possibilities: Cap Juluca and PSV...now which one?

penny Feb 15th, 2001 07:31 AM

Hi Maggie-I can only speak for Cap Juluca, but I will share my thoughts. Anguilla gives you lots of dining choices, and is a wonderful friendly safe quiet island. Cap Juluca is unigue, lovley white villas, beautiful rooms and bathrooms. Maundays Bay is wonderful, and Cove Bay next door is great too. We enjoy going to other beaches and little beach bar restaurants, even Cove Bay has one. I have never been to PSV, but it looks lovely. I wonder if you might get tired eating at the same spot, with the same people every night. Another option would be Jumby Bay. We combine our trip 6 nights at Cap Juluca and then spend 2 or 3 nights at Jumby. How we happened to do this is our continential flight flys non stop from Newark to SXM. The return flight goes from St. Martin, Antigua then Newark. I had been reading about this resort and after stopping in Antigua I wanted to get off and try it.. Not to confuse you, but it too is a wonderful spot. It is nice to explore the small private island. We only spend a few nights as we have fallen in love with Anguilla and enjoy the many excellent restaurants. I hope this has not confused you! If you have any questions about these two places I would be happy to reply.

Maggie Feb 15th, 2001 08:09 AM

Thanks Penny! <BR> <BR>I've been reading a lot about Cap Juluca and it sounds amazing. PSV, on the other hand was in the running, though highly recommended, based on the photos I saw online, its shore seems wilder than Anguilla's beaches overall. <BR> <BR>There's another island in the running -- Peter Island, and St. John. Every site I see, looks better and better. It get even harder to make the decision. I just hope I don't wait too long before all the rooms are booked -- they all look so appealing......hmmmm.. <BR> <BR>Thanks again!

penny Feb 15th, 2001 10:08 AM

Maggie-Peter Island looks great too. It is on my list to visit. We just got back from Caneel Bay in St. John, another wonderful spot. Very laid back, great snorkeling, and fun restaurants in Cruz Bay. I think Anguilla's beaches are wider and not as rocky as PSV, but I am sure someone in the know will answer the question. Karen gives great advice and she has been to both. <BR>All your choices are great-so just go for it and I am sure you will be pleased.

penny Feb 15th, 2001 10:16 AM

P.S.-I think Conde Nast gold list is a bit of a joke to me. I can never understand the high marks The Greenbrier receives, it usually is a corporate boondoggle. Many of the selections amaze me, but some are right on the mark. Now Bali is a place I would like to try, only if I could put up with the long trip. Maybe someday!