Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Help! Babymoon at 6 months in Caribbean- safe places to travel! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/help-babymoon-at-6-months-in-caribbean-safe-places-to-travel-1712372/)

gmc0611 Jan 18th, 2023 09:39 AM

Help! Babymoon at 6 months in Caribbean- safe places to travel!

My husband and I are trying to pick a baby moon destination in the Caribbean for February and I will be 26 weeks pregnant at that time. I’ve had an uncomplicated pregnancy so far and I’m only 32 so I am considered low risk. Of the 4 OBs in my office I spoke with two. One said she’d stay within the US just incase of an emergency, while the other said she thinks I should be ok to go to the Caribbean at 26 weeks because chance of emergency is low, but there is no guarantee & it is really up to comfort of me and my husband. With that we’re trying to decide between Turks, USVI - St Thomas, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Peurto rico. Does anyone know anything about the healthcare systems of these islands?! I’m trying to do research online and having a difficult time! I’m a nurse so I am aware of emergencies that can arise & would like to know there’s a decent hospital close by. Anything you can suggest would be soooo helpful!
we’ll be flying from NY/NJ so don’t want to go anywhere too too far via plane (we considered Anguilla but the transfer is making it complicated)

Sassafrass Jan 18th, 2023 06:30 PM

Can’t comment on the other places for your needs, but Bermuda will likely still be cold for swimming. I would eliminate it for this trip.

RoamsAround Jan 18th, 2023 06:52 PM

I don’t mean to scare you but having lived in the Caribbean for 18 years I can tell you that the healthcare systems on any island will not be up to the same standards you’ll find throughout the US.

Of the destinations you listed Puerto Rico will have the highest standards but it will still not be what you’d get back home. Healthcare on other islands leave a lot to be desired. For anything other than minor injuries or simple routine treatments you really don’t want to be treated for a major medical problem.

For what it is worth, the vast majority of Ex-pats who live in the Caribbean generally go back to the US/Canada or Europe for their annual checkups and they have Medical Evacuation Insurance that will pay for a private air ambulance to fly them back to the US if they have any type of serious medical emergency.

balthy Jan 19th, 2023 04:23 AM

Turks & Caicos might be too cool for swimming in Feb. You need to go much further south.

The French islands, Guadeloupe, Martinique etc are departments of France & France is well known for its excellent medical facilities, at least it is in Europe. Whether that holds true in their overseas departments, I couldn’t say, but might be worth a check.

Cayman Islands might be a good one, both from the weather & medical aspect, if that checks out OK.

But as the above post says, most with serious medical issues that can’t be handled locally go to the US. Is it worth the risk?

schmerl Jan 19th, 2023 06:52 AM

Have you considered the Florida Keys? At least you'll still be in the US if any issues arise.

gmc0611 Jan 19th, 2023 07:43 AM

Thank you! RoamsAround - I hear you. I’m not super concerned being that I’m having such a normal pregnancy. I think we’re between Turks and grand cayman, if we don’t chose the Florida Keys.

Can you tell me anything about the healthcare facilities in those 2 spots? I assume they have deliveries each year/ OB. Do you happen to know about NICU or ICU god forbid of any emergency? Thank you!

gmc0611 Jan 19th, 2023 07:45 AM

schmerl I did start looking there a bit as a backup. where in the Keys would you suggest? We want to relax on the beach. I read Key Largo has the nicest beaches. Do you know any resorts worth checking out?

RoamsAround Jan 19th, 2023 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by gmc0611 (Post 17430548)
Thank you! RoamsAround - I hear you. I’m not super concerned being that I’m having such a normal pregnancy. I think we’re between Turks and grand cayman, if we don’t chose the Florida Keys.

Can you tell me anything about the healthcare facilities in those 2 spots? I assume they have deliveries each year/ OB. Do you happen to know about NICU or ICU god forbid of any emergency? Thank you!

The quality of the Medical facilities and care you'll receive in the Turks & Caicos will depend on which island in the chain you are on. The best facilities will be found on Providenciales (which is where most visitors go) but as I commented earlier it won't be up to the same high standards you'll find back home in the US. On average, the facilities/care on Grand Cayman will probably be somewhat better than on Providenciales and significantly better than other islands in the T&C chain. Regardless of the island, if you are in need of NICU or ICU care you will really want to be evacuated back to the US as soon as possible. Look into purchasing Medical Evacuation Insurance for your trip. It's not very expensive and well worth the eace of mind it will give you. FYI - depending on the island you are visiting a one-way Air Ambulance flight can cost anywhere between $10,000 and $30,000. Hint: Look for policies that will transport you back to the hospital of your choice rather than the nearest hospital that can treat your ailment.

J62 Jan 19th, 2023 11:30 AM

Aruba is a modern country with excellent health care. There is a major hospital within 2min of the Eagle Beach area.

suze Jan 21st, 2023 02:58 PM

I can't tell from your post... have you ever traveled in the Caribbean before? Have you been to any of the islands??

Having vacationed a few times each in USVI, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and the Florida Keys, I just can't imagine going thru trying to "get home" should anything (heaven forbid) not go according to plan and you find yourself in a medical situation.

Why not pick a nice fancy resort in Florida?

Birdie Jan 26th, 2023 11:22 AM

Just a thought, I’d also look into the incidence of Zika and other mosquito borne diseases that have occurred in past years. Some can be very damaging during pregnancy.

schmerl Jan 28th, 2023 04:54 AM

I see on the US forum that you chose to go to Miami. Good choice in your situation. Enjoy!

gmc0611 Jan 28th, 2023 05:03 AM

Yes! We did chose Miami. Does anyone on here have any opinion on the Setai vs the 1 vs the Aqualina?

suze Jan 31st, 2023 09:45 AM

Happy to hear that! Sorry can't help with Miami but I think it's a much better idea. Have a FANTASTIC trip.