Search

St. John East End

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. John East End

Hello all,
We are going to St. John in a couple of weeks and was trying to figure out how we would spend our days. There is so much to do and I know a week won't be long enough! We want to hike Ram's Head and snorkel at Salt Pond, then go over to the East End and snorkel Haulover and Hansen Bay. I also want to check out Coral Bay, maybe eat at Skinny's or Island Blues and check out that area of the island. We're not really into shopping or anything like that, but I'd like to see that side of the island. My question is whether you think I can do this in one day or if I will need part of a second day. If it is too much for one day, how would you divide it up? We will get an early start, definitely, but at the same time I don't want to be on such a schedule that I feel that I have to leave Salt Pond after an hour to get to the next place. Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM

hi rockie,

i think it depends on how fast you are. my husband and i don't stay long at places...once we've seen it, we move on. in one day on stj, my husband went scuba diving, took a taxi back to caneel, we took a taxi to trunk bay and swam the underwater trail, took a taxi back to caneel, changed clothes, took a taxi to cruz bay, ate at woody's, took a taxi back to caneel, hiked for an hour on caneel's grounds, all this before dinner. we didn't feel rushed either. have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:55 AM

My advise would be to slow down and absorb the beauty of St. John. Haulover is one of the top snorkel sites on the island. Keep in mind that if the wind is up, it will prevent you from snorkeling there. Check Haulover first. The other locations are more protected. Don't forget about Vie's for lunch when you're on the East End.

If you do Salt Pond and the Ram's Head Trail, I'd also include the Lameshur beaches for snorkeling.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:15 AM

It's doable in a day. The 2 areas are about a 10 minute drive apart. I agree with RobertB about checking Haulover first in the morning and having lunch at Vie's and maybe sit out on her beach for a little bit (that's Hansen Bay). Then, I'd go over to Salt Pond and take my time there until say 4 p.m. and then take a nice end of the day stroll out to Ram's Head and enjoy the views. Since it's summer, the day will be long enough for you to accomplish all of this. Then of course, a fun cocktails and dinner enjoyed with a sunset view at Island Blues. If you really insist, you could also have dessert and a nightcap at Skinny's (no sunset views). You'll have a terrific time.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I'm confused...you're going to be there a week but need to do all this in one day?

What do you have planned for the other 6 days?

Slow down rockie...nothing does or should happen that quickly on St. John.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their tips. We're certainly not in a rush but was just wondering what to expect. Thank you!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:22 AM

Drinking at Skinny Legs could take up a day itself. Say Hi to Mo!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:38 AM

Yeah, you'll definelty need to slow down. Rent you a little car or jeep for all days on island. Load a little cooler and snorkel gear and beach hop. If you try to do too much, it won't be fun. I love Hawksnest, Maho, and of course Trunk Bay (as long as the cruise are not in. maybe go late.) the best. Also, Salt Pond can be very interesting, especially if the turtles are there. If you hike Ram's Head, go VERY early. It gets hot!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

It is a very small island! The East End, Coral Bay and the SPB/Lameshur are all at the same end of the island and quite close to one another.
After your snorkeling and hiking at the beaches and Ram's Head, you can eat and have drinks in Coral Bay-Island Blues, Skinney Legs...
Also I have always had good luck finding the turtles at SPB early in the morning. As another poster said, while there snorkel Lameshur...there is this little rock point sticking out of the water towards the right, tons of fish there!
Have fun and slow down, mon!